Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Hiker

Default Take-down or packable air rifles/carbines?

Advertise Here

With some of the talk of air rifles lately, I was hoping to build a thread with links and ideas of full-size air rifles or carbines that could be take-down or packable that are either commercially available or could be built/modified. There is a huge community of airgun modders. We could also discuss legalities with modifying an air gun but to my knowledge, in most places air guns are not seen or treated the same as firearms.

I'm open to suggestion but my thoughts for a suitable take-down carbine is:

- can accept optics
- pump or break action (no PCP)
- no single component can be longer than 20" (to easily stow in a pack)
- 700 ft./sec. or greater (to be able to take small game humanely)

There used to be a rifle called the Beeman Scout that starts in the right direction - link. My guess it was discontinued.

There is the Industry Brand QB57 take-down but have read it is bulky and heavy - link. This also appears to be the only place to get it and they sell the .22 barrel assembly separate rather than offering it up front. The ft./sec. is also low.

Then I started thinking about air guns that could be modified like the Crosman 13xx series. From the factory they are not considered good for small game. Mountain Air Custom Airguns makes a nice modded 1322 - longer barrel and internal mods that increase the ft./sec. Add a removable butt stock (available) and this could also work - link.

The Crosman 2289 (part of the Bug Out Kit) is probably the closest to what I'm thinking but it needs mods to get the numbers up - link.

The other option is to shorten a rifle. I'm not sure what would be a good candidate.

So I'm just looking for dialogue and ideas. I like the idea of an airgun in a BOB but IMO rifles are too long (if you wanted to be stealthy) and pistols don't have the velocity or accuracy.

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:31 AM
Recent Blog:
1000 inch stare...

Crosman Bug comes close to that, if it was going to be a true pot filler on a daily basis I would have it worked on and carry a few spare parts. I would have the valve reworked not so much for more power but rather same power with less pumps. I would put a longer barrel with new crown on it and a LDC. A Long steel breech is a good thing and my favorite optic on them is the Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 very impressive fine dot and 3000 hrs battery life. this would make a very light effective setup!
Old 03-04-2013, 07:10 AM
Target Shooter

I have been lookin at that Crosman Bug as well I used to have one sim to this one http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Crosman_1377C_PC77/198# Cant remember what model it was but it was a .177 cal. I killed lots of squirrels,opossums,an japanese hornets with it.But I would like to have it in a .22
Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 AM
One day at a time ...

If you're not wedded to an air rifle only, Henry makes a good break down rifle. It's the Henry Survival Rifle. It shoots .22LR and everything, including 3 8 round magazines, packs into the stock. It's easy to break down & put together, holds zero well.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomArnold View Post
If you're not wedded to an air rifle only, Henry makes a good break down rifle. It's the Henry Survival Rifle. It shoots .22LR and everything, including 3 8 round magazines, packs into the stock. It's easy to break down & put together, holds zero well.
I'm very familiar with the Henry Survival Rifle as well as the M6. If you read the other threads on airguns, the idea is that you will never run out of air, you can carry a lot more ammo for the same weight, and they are quiet versus a gun that requires center or rimfire ammunition and can be just as (if not more) effective at taking small game.

Another advantage for me personally is that the state I live in does not regulate airguns like firearms. I can't store a firearm in my BOB unless it is "secured" somehow. A keyed or combo trigger lock may meet the letter of the law but if someone were to steal the gun out of my bag when I had the the option of my safe, the anti-gun lawyers and attorney general in MA might have a field day with me.

I see a dedicated BOB air rifle as a companion to a standard handgun that you are able to grab quickly and head out the door in a last minute emergency. Air rifle to put meat in the pot; handgun as an easily carried defensive weapon.
The Following User Says Thank You to zuren For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,022 Times in 787 Posts

I prefer the Ruger 10/22 Take Down .. very accurate and consistent. Too many issues with the AR7s.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Target Shooter

I have all .22 stuff covered sub sonic, cb's,long rifle.an the guns that eat them but why not have a good pellet rifle,pistol to stretch out the ammo we have.Cause I aint seen any .22's on any shelf in two months and it may be alot longer before we do.IF. Grab that pellet rifle,pistol an shoot a rabbit or some squirrels for the pot.So back to pellet guns...
The Following User Says Thank You to Legon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM

awsome so glad i saw this. Ive owned a henry breakdown found it a little cheap the ruger option looks amazingly practical. Thanks for the knowledge
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris704th View Post
I prefer the Ruger 10/22 Take Down .. very accurate and consistent. Too many issues with the AR7s.
What are the lengths of each section when the Ruger is taken down?

A 10/22 Takedown with a folding stock may not be a bad option - http://www.agparms.com/10-22/
Old 03-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,854 Times in 803 Posts

Air rifles are heavy get a small .22
The Following User Says Thank You to TNdeerhunter96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,806 Times in 671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuren View Post
I'm open to suggestion but my thoughts for a suitable take-down carbine is:

- can accept optics
- pump or break action (no PCP)
- 700 ft./sec. or greater (to be able to take small game humanely)

The other option is to shorten a rifle. I'm not sure what would be a good candidate.

So I'm just looking for dialogue and ideas. I like the idea of an airgun in a BOB but IMO rifles are too long (if you wanted to be stealthy) and pistols don't have the velocity or accuracy.

Thanks!
I just bought a Beeman X2 Grizzley.
-.22 caliber? Check! (also has a .177 barrel)
-Can accept optics? Check! (comes with a 3-9X scope)
-Pump or Break Barrel? Check! (Break barrel)
- 700 ft./sec. or greater (to be able to take small game humanely) Check! (claims to be 800fps with the .22, and 1000fps+ with the .177)
well.......there's the problem. Taking the barrel off, you have a length of about 32". Taking the stock off, you're at 22" for the reciever and the rear of the scope.
My options were to modify the stock, or just have a buttstock sticking out of my rucksack. I decided to just have the buttstock sticking out.

My question is, how do you protect the scope when carrying a scoped rifle in or on a ruck?
I chose to take a cheapo plastic "hard case" for a rifle and chop the ends off, resulting in a padded hard cover for the receiver area.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 PM

Default Wondering the same

I've personally been looking for the same style air rifle. I would love one that's exactly like the Henry ar-7. The only ones I've found even close are way too expensive. The fx verminator mark 2 is a fantastic design but it's incredibly pricy, over 2k, which I won't pay for an air rifle even if for my survival kit. This site http://www.gunmart.net/gun_review/ta...pcp_air_rifles gives a list of promising break down air rifles but they're all too expensive. If anybody knows of a reasonably priced breakdown air rifle I'd love to hear about it.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:58 PM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,304 Posts

a lot of guys modify the Crosman 1322 (a pumper...they also make the 2240, a CO2) to make carbines of varying lengths,, using barrels anywhere from 10 to 24 inches
and detachable shoulder stocks.

with the 2240,, some guys modify it to .25 cal,, some added a repeater breech that had a revolving pellet cylinder, ( I am currently tryiing to find who manufactured that and if they still do) and some convert the Co2 to PCP..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McGuyversurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2014, 06:12 AM

Default crossman 2289

so crosman makes an air rifle called the 2289. its pretty collapsible, its .22 caliber as well. it breaks down to a pretty small size, dimensions not given. the crosman 1377 also seems to be a decent choice with a little modifying. so far crosman is the only people with anything decently priced and comes close to the standard. the 22289 breaks down to 16 inches but only has 480 fps. but the 1377 gets up to 600 fps. the 1377 doesn't come with a butt stock but itd be pretty easy to attach one.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,043 Times in 1,593 Posts

This would be the type of 2289 you are looking for. Detachable skeleton stock and modified valve for improved performance. Still only about 530 FPS. Pumping is a pain though, and inconvenient when stalking and hunting.

Better would be something like this. The 2400 or 2240 model. It's a carbine and the skeleton stock can also be removed to reduce the size. It's c02 powered so no need to pump. Also a bit more powerful at 580 fps in 22. cal. Extremely accurate as well. Available at the Crosman Custom Shop for less than $200. (Add extra for scope and mods)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ninjasurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

most air rifles I have ever owned(I currently have 3) have a screw on the underside, remove that and the barrel comes apart from the stock making it easier to pack away.
The Following User Says Thank You to big paul For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,893 Times in 4,181 Posts

Though in EOTWAWKI getting Co2 may not be great Having PCPs and hand pumps make sense.
Break barrels ie piston driven guns need the weight to off set the piston disruption .
Co2, and PCP, and pump, are smoother and far more fun to shoot, and do to need th added weight to off set the kinetic energy of the piston/gas/spring .
High power does not mean accuracy, but accuracy alone is not enough in it's self.
Small game react best to head shots , that'a about the size of a quarter on average.
Having to pump up on each shot is not going to work in real world survival, unless your really close. (with in 100 feet) .
It is my experience though that critters will get even more wary and difficult to get close to as time passes.
Any gun you choose that can be taken apart you need to consider accuracy .
Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Any gun you choose that can be taken apart you need to consider accuracy .
Removing the rear stock will not effect the accuracy as it does not involve the breech or barrel being altered in any way.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:44 AM
Dumpster Diver

Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,304 Posts

the 2240 and 2400 can be converted to precharged and to repeaters

if precharged, they are more powerful,,
or like any CO2 powered gun, the power will increase with increases in barrel length up to about 22 to 24 inches, then it falls off due to friction,,
the increases run about 5 to 10 fps per inch,, depending upon the triggered dwell time that the valve is open

the same is not true of springers,, springers work best at a barrel lenth of 16 to 19 inches and increasing them does not increase power
Old 07-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Survivor

Airgun tech is developing fairly rapidly nowadays. They have very powerful PCP's that are semi-automatic. You're talking .25 cals at 900 fps. But as is true of the engineering rule, you can have only 2 of the following 3 items: fast, lightweight, and inexpensive.

A lot of these guns are really long and heavy and require batteries to operate, not to mention $1000+. It seems like there is always a trade-off of some kind.

I think that pretty soon they will come up with a compact takedown bullpup PCP semiauto with a built in baffle to muffle noise and powerful and accurate. Probably within the next 5 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to ninjasurvivor For This Useful Post: