Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 01-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,327 Times in 2,039 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruggs View Post
I sold mine on Ebay 10 years ago with the understanding that they are not edible. Got a high price for them. There are people that collect military rations for reasons that I cannot fathom.
Or you could have made some repros of yours and sold them:

http://www.firebasenam.com/sell%20existence.htm
Old 01-25-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heehaw View Post
So where can I buy some MREs, LRP's or RCW's?
www.MREdepot.com. They were having a special on cases of MREs 2-3 weeks ago, but I'm not sure that it is still going on. When I first looked into buying some, they were the cheapest (with a 2008 discount code that I had).
Old 02-27-2009, 01:38 AM
Prepared

k rats-ww11 & korea--c rats -Vietnam until mre's showed up--& you are right lima beans & ham was a treat [1st one got in basic] but did have cigs.. 1st detail ever put on taking them out --{non smoker] plenty of trading stuff--could still smoke just not issued --but use to take to px for two beers at night--o to be young again L.O.L.
The Following User Says Thank You to rew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 01:59 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 14,739 Times in 4,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfman456 View Post
As a military man, I'm going to issue you a warning. MREs have no dietary fiber. I once made a bet that I could live off of them for 2 weeks. After the first two days I had to start using laxatives and fiber supplements to get things moving out. It was bad.

That's a warning.
The gum is a laxative. Chew it till the flavor is gone, then swallow it. MREs are designed to keep troops in the field plugged up for a day or two.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:36 AM
Deo VIndice

Thanked 4,074 Times in 2,358 Posts

Crakers in a can...that was awesome. and that cheese in a can...oh boy. The sliced beef wasn't bad tho. My dad used to bring home some that would fall off the trains at the railroad once in a while.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Mall Ninja Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman336 View Post
NO,NO,NO! You want everybodies timeless favorite HAM AND LIMA BEANS!!

By the way the goverment wants you to refer to LIMA BEANS to be pronounced as LEE MAH BEANS!!!

Rifleman 336
Ham and Mothers! Yummy....... not!
Why would you want them? They sucked, still suck and will always suck.

Peaches were good though.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,275 Posts

If you do buy MREs then you had better have a cool place to store them. One month in the trunk of your car and they are toast. try about any Army Store around. Also check out the vendors on this site. they are ok but way high in salt content. you can heat them on the manifold of your car if you need to.

I would not plan to use them as my main source of food supply. too expensive and to difficult to store properly.

What is your main reason for wanting them. C rats or K rats have been gone for years. I have some ones in my collection of World War 2 stuff just for fun. If you are building a food supply look at going with a plan that includes canned goods, freeze dried, grains, rice, beans, etc. there are threads on the forum dealing with food storage. There are also plenty of sites on the web with resources for food storage and prep.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Hiker

Skip the K and C rats. Even some of the mre's out there are so old as to be questionable. I would skip the MRE's in the original dark brown package. Back in 98 they were past their shelflife and you could tell it.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:37 PM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 14,310 Times in 4,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayliterun View Post
Crakers in a can...that was awesome. and that cheese in a can...oh boy. The sliced beef wasn't bad tho. My dad used to bring home some that would fall off the trains at the railroad once in a while.
Those crackers where the worst crackers I ever did eat.

Forum needs a vomit Smilie
Old 10-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,256 Times in 4,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Buck View Post
k rats he says......wow.
I'm told those were nasty when new and haven't been made in over 50 year now.....naaasssttttyyyyyyyyyyy!
Go with MREs.
They're not bad.

Ok ok, they are not really good either....
On an Episode of Mail Call Ermey opened a 60 year old can of K rats the meat was dried out and inedible after 60 years but he said it was almost idenical, when fresh, to the Hormel potted meat.

C-rats were the equal to MRE's with many of the same or similar menues however it all came in a box with 4 cans 2-10 oz cans and 2-4 oz cans. One 10oz can had the entree one 4oz had a condiment like Peanut butter, Cheesespread or Jam/Jelly the other 4oz can had bread or crackers and the other 10oz can had goodies usually Chicklets, Beverage powder, dehydrated coffee, creamer, sugar, matches, Toilet paper and in the old days they also had a tiny pack that held 4 or 5 cigarettes (replaced by some other sundry item in its later forms). They were bulkier and a bit heavier becuase of the cans but had about the same nutritional value as MRE's.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,256 Times in 4,904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rew View Post
k rats-ww11 & korea--c rats -Vietnam until mre's showed up--& you are right lima beans & ham was a treat [1st one got in basic] but did have cigs.. 1st detail ever put on taking them out --{non smoker] plenty of trading stuff--could still smoke just not issued --but use to take to px for two beers at night--o to be young again L.O.L.
The last C-rats I saw were at an Exercise at Ft. Bliss in 1981. After that it was MRE's

We were still eating C-rats at Basic in 1979.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Default C-Rats, 4 sheets of TP, & Smokes

The last time I had C-Rats was in the early 80’s, on deployment, and all MRE’s after that. Still have my original P 38. I loved the Chocolate chip chocolate cake in a can, cooking with JP 4. LOL. MRE’s were a big upgrade in taste, sorry, I want to slap folks that call them “Meals Rejected by Ethiopians” who have never eaten from a cardboard box. The four sheets for TP were bad enough when I got dysentery, but losing the smokes was worse! Asked my Sgt as I sat under a smoldering canopy, didn’t we used to have 4 packs of smokes?? His reply, your government decided they are hazardless to your health. Well, the place we had been in for 2 weeks where I had the runs, etc., was NOT club med. It was bring your own butts.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Family Always Comes First

Thanked 1,772 Times in 459 Posts

Ahhhhh, many fond memories of the canned pound cake with the canned peaches over them.

I remember that we saved cans of the stuff because you could usually always find somebody that liked this or that and it would turn int Barter training when it came time to trade.

So... you want this can of xxx, well, it will cost you 2 cans of xxx to get them.

It's been too long to remember all the different entrees, but I do rmember bringing my own bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce (that was before the even thought of putting some in the MREs) and "doctoring up" the meals.

Medic73
82nd Airborne Medic 1976-1979
Old 05-06-2012, 12:54 PM

If prostitution is the oldest profession, barter in the military is the second. Non smokers , trade their smokes for what they want, etc. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…………..good times. LOL
Old 05-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,126 Times in 4,975 Posts

Last I ate C Rats is a bit later than most of the posted dates-1983 Camp Pendleton, California. I'm glad they did that for us, especially as it gave me a comparision with early MRE's.

Too bad they don't still make some of those items.