Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,621 Times in 2,132 Posts

Advertise Here

Growing up our dogs always ate leftovers and if there wasn't enough my mother would give them some dry food. The dry food would sit there unless there really weren't any scraps. The only thing we were anal about was no chicken bones. I think they would by a bag every 4 months or so. You would not believe what our last dog ate, he loved pasta and green beans.

Our dogs were mutts and lived a very long, very healthy life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yelruh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 PM

My dog always has food, l always keep a couple bags ahead (about 4 months) and rotate it out but he also eats whatever l eat and l make him food every so often so his kibble lasts even longer so keeping him fed is never a problem even if his kibble becomes unavailable
Old 01-05-2013, 09:26 PM
NC Native

Thanked 1,084 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvntMstr View Post
My dog always has food, l always keep a couple bags ahead (about 4 months) and rotate it out but he also eats whatever l eat and l make him food every so often so his kibble lasts even longer so keeping him fed is never a problem even if his kibble becomes unavailable
Same with us and our kitties. We have canned and bagged high-quality food (One, Iams, etc.) We've deliberately considered our cat's needs in our prep. In fact, our pets' survival is more important to us than obama's, his entire civilian staff, anyone who voted for him in either election, and anyone on EBT/Section 8/Welfare/or any other tax-payer stolen handout.

It's our money and our lives. We'll help who we want.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bearclan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Survivor

^^^^ why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,359 Times in 1,041 Posts

People tend to forget that dogs are actually primary carnivores....my dogs diet consists of mainly hog meat with a little white rice mixed in. Its only fair they help me to hunt so they share the meat. People get a little crazy when it comes to animal diets the best thing you can do is give them fresh meat.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,781 Times in 2,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonafusilier View Post
In addition to kibble in the morning, my dogs get raw meat/vegetables/cottage cheese at night.

Having them adaptable to eat "people food" is a survival advantage. They are also very healthy and fit.
That's very true. I have a labrador and he likes finishing off a baked potato (an incredibly good source of essential amino acids, plus more) and will take down a few other wholesome leftovers. My dog is a bit heavy but the vet remarks about his good health and vitality.

Which veggies does your dog accept? Would like to know.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
I'm not the OP, but I remember our dog eating pretty much everything. He seemed to really like string beans and would leave Lima beans alone. He grew up eating table scraps with a bit of dry food thrown in. Leftover pasta and sauce would disappear like a vacuum cleaner went over the bowl.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 PM
None

Thanked 69,860 Times in 16,506 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapult View Post
That's very true. I have a labrador and he likes finishing off a baked potato (an incredibly good source of essential amino acids, plus more) and will take down a few other wholesome leftovers. My dog is a bit heavy but the vet remarks about his good health and vitality.

Our dogs love green beans, brussel sprouts, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, white potatoes, tomatoes, broccoli, corn, wheat, oatmeal, apples, and pears. They will climb through the briars to get to wild blackberries.

They will not eat onions, mushrooms, or bell peppers (although they don't pick them off their pizza.)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 PM
stubborn old broad

Thanked 1,087 Times in 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan6864 View Post
People tend to forget that dogs are actually primary carnivores....my dogs diet consists of mainly hog meat with a little white rice mixed in. Its only fair they help me to hunt so they share the meat. People get a little crazy when it comes to animal diets the best thing you can do is give them fresh meat.
Its true that dogs are primarily carnivores (except for bitches, who require carbohydrates at different life stages) but a diet composed of only muscle meat is not the best. In the wild, your dog would be eating the ENTIRE critter, including stomach contents, hair, bone and so on.

Unless your dog supplements his diet with mice or rodents, I'd worry about him eating just pork and some empty carbs from rice. Hopefully you're giving them the offal to eat as well.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Still standing

Thanked 1,444 Times in 629 Posts

Post SHTF, feed'em scraps. My mom's dad was a subsistence hunter, him and the rest of them up in the hollers. They all had dogs. After dressing out game, throw most everything else to the dogs. This too is part of the reward for the dogs' help in finding game.

The thing chases a squirrel around to your side of the tree -- that deserves a reward, now doesn't it. Dogs ain't stupid, they know when they've done good. Worthless, stupid dogs you just kill.

I was raised in a world where NOTHING was ever wasted and by god, certainly not food. When I watch what city people throw away, it bothers me a lot. New Yorkers wonder why they're overrun with rats -- shows you just how indescribably stupid they are. One day, the rats will feed on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pantagruel For This Useful Post: