Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

I'm not going to lie; my favorite dinner is either a crockpot soup or breakfast for dinner. Last night, it was hashbrowns, turkey sausage and eggs. Tonight, dinner at a friends, but I believe tomorrow will be beef barley soup, my kiddos favorite!!! We are allergic to carotene (think anything naturally orange like carrots, peaches, yams, etc.), so celery is their favorite additive. I've tried re-growing it from the cut bottoms. I can get it to sprout and then it dies a slow, painful death.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm a Rebel Rider!

I'm thinking about beef shepards pie or maybe taco pie? I will do up the beef with onions and garlic drain and rinse then either do the veg and potatos or add some "mexican" flavor and top with cornbread.

Whatever it ends up being it will involve ground beef.

Maybe tater to casserole?

Last edited by RebelQueen; 01-14-2013 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: ETA: tater tot casserole
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Hiker

Thanked 2,756 Times in 642 Posts

Tonight will be leftover soup. I'm lucky in that my husband thinks food tastes better the second day so I always cook for four or more and we eat it two days in a row.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM
It is what it is.

Thanked 3,924 Times in 1,270 Posts

I made fried rice for lunch. I put dried mushrooms in with the rice while it was cooking and then threw the pork and scallions in the wok. Not exactly fancy but filling and warm on wet day.

My chicken soup was put off in favor of beef broth. I am ashamed to admit I am using perfectly good ribs to make been broth but I have 2 calves that will need to go in the freezers soon so I have to make room. Still it will make good soup. I tossed in some onions, potatoes, parsnips and pepper corns to simmer. I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet. Probably chop up the meat, throw some dried veggies and a can of tomatoes in and call it soup.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,640 Times in 846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mominator View Post
My chicken soup was put off in favor of beef broth. I am ashamed to admit I am using perfectly good ribs to make been broth but I have 2 calves that will need to go in the freezers soon so I have to make room. Still it will make good soup. I tossed in some onions, potatoes, parsnips and pepper corns to simmer. I am not sure what I am going to do with it yet. Probably chop up the meat, throw some dried veggies and a can of tomatoes in and call it soup.
IMHO if you can slice up the meat after making the broth like I do my chicken broth, put it in freezer bags or make jerky out of it. Leftover meat of any kind can also be used for sandwiches or stirred into rice.
The Following User Says Thank You to emh1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2013, 07:23 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,640 Times in 846 Posts

Made a roast today. Easy enough: 1 package corned beef with 1 package onion soup mix, and add some ground pepper. Preheat oven to 325. Cook for 2.5 hours. Add mixed veggies. Cook for another 1/2 hour. Lots of leftovers.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Gone Hiking

For tonight I made Pancakes for dinner! I needed an easy night since school just started back up for me and I have tons of other things going on too.
I didn't feel like making my own from scratch so I just used the Quaker oatmeal pancake mix and substituted the milk and eggs with Almond milk and Ener-g egg replacer. I also didn't use oil, just added in water to make it thinner since it seemed too thick.

They were exactly what I was wanting and the kids and hubby liked them.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 AM
It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh1701 View Post
IMHO if you can slice up the meat after making the broth like I do my chicken broth, put it in freezer bags or make jerky out of it. Leftover meat of any kind can also be used for sandwiches or stirred into rice.
Good idea but I throw mine into the broth and turn it into soup. In this case I also have a lot left for the dogs. It is the odd weird icky bits that make the best broth so I always save those too. This time I struck gold in the freeze and found a bag of "spare parts" I had forgotten about so part of my broth is not good for much but making broth.

On a humorous note... I remember completely freaking someone out when they came in and I had half a pigs head and some skin simmering on the stove but oh it made good broth. The muscles around the jaw are used a great deal and have a lot of flavor and skin gives broth a nice silky texture. Its delicious unless you are some poor queezy city person watching me cook for the first time That dinner party did not go well.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 29,990 Times in 13,204 Posts

Quote:
Good idea but I throw mine into the broth and turn it into soup. In this case I also have a lot left for the dogs. It is the odd weird icky bits that make the best broth so I always save those too. This time I struck gold in the freeze and found a bag of "spare parts" I had forgotten about so part of my broth is not good for much but making broth.

On a humorous note... I remember completely freaking someone out when they came in and I had half a pigs head and some skin simmering on the stove but oh it made good broth. The muscles around the jaw are used a great deal and have a lot of flavor and skin gives broth a nice silky texture. Its delicious unless you are some poor queezy city person watching me cook for the first time That dinner party did not go well.
omg

You used Jowls and Cheek for BROTH!?!?!?!

NONONO!!!

You take that meat off the bone, season it with, paprika, cumin, cayenne, onion, a can of ginger ale, powdered mustard, a squirt of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Let that marinate for like overnight, then remove from the marinate and put into the crock pot for 8 hours on low. Save the marinate.

After 8 hours, remove, and it should be fork tender and easy to pull. Remove the pork and pour the juice from the crock pot into a sauce pan with the marinate and then bring it to a boil till it thickens into a sauce. Pull the pork with 2 forks and then it put back in the crock pot, pour the sauce over, click it to warm.

Serve on buns with pickles and slaw... or however you like a pulled pork sammich.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 AM
It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKraken View Post
omg

You used Jowls and Cheek for BROTH!?!?!?!

NONONO!!!

You take that meat off the bone, season it with, paprika, cumin, cayenne, onion, a can of ginger ale, powdered mustard, a squirt of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Let that marinate for like overnight, then remove from the marinate and put into the crock pot for 8 hours on low. Save the marinate.

After 8 hours, remove, and it should be fork tender and easy to pull. Remove the pork and pour the juice from the crock pot into a sauce pan with the marinate and then bring it to a boil till it thickens into a sauce. Pull the pork with 2 forks and then it put back in the crock pot, pour the sauce over, click it to warm.

Serve on buns with pickles and slaw... or however you like a pulled pork sammich.
Digestive issues, spicy food, sigh of longing for pleasures I can no longer enjoy. Sigh of envy.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Digestive issues, spicy food, sigh of longing for pleasures I can no longer enjoy. Sigh of envy.
Awww you could leave out the hot stuff and make it with sugar for a sweet bbq flavor.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 AM
It is what it is.

Quote:
Awww you could leave out the hot stuff and make it with sugar for a sweet bbq flavor.
If it ain't hot it aint bbq
Old 01-15-2013, 05:58 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
If it ain't hot it aint bbq
Oh boy, I'm stayin out the way, there's a whole state of fulla folks gonna come down on that one.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 AM
It is what it is.

Quote:
Oh boy, I'm stayin out the way, there's a whole state of fulla folks gonna come down on that one.
Yep and I got a whole state 'll back me up

No truth is I am a spicy food addict but it just tears me up and honestly so does the sweet bbq. I think it is because you use oily meat to do it. Lets face it lean bbq just doesn't do it, does it? I can manage some if I eat Kimchi with it but that just grosses everyone out. I don't know but there is something in Kimchi that makes anything digest better. Anyway, it is like looking at hot young guys and thinking they look like my kids - the price of getting older
The Following User Says Thank You to Mominator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Yep and I got a whole state 'll back me up

No truth is I am a spicy food addict but it just tears me up and honestly so does the sweet bbq. I think it is because you use oily meat to do it. Lets face it lean bbq just doesn't do it, does it? I can manage some if I eat Kimchi with it but that just grosses everyone out. I don't know but there is something in Kimchi that makes anything digest better. Anyway, it is like looking at hot young guys and thinking they look like my kids - the price of getting older
ROFL! I hear ya.

And I ain't even got kids, but I got the magic birthday coming.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Bitter Clinger

Thanked 1,967 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
One word - Prilosec.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadWarrette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrette View Post
One word - Prilosec.
If it's IBS Prilosec ain't gonna help.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 AM
It is what it is.

Quote:
If it's IBS Prilosec ain't gonna help.
It is actual damage thanks to my first husband. Parts of my digestive system have been taken out and there is a lot of scar tissue. When I said he tried to kill me for leaving him I was not exaggerating. In this case its really not so much my age as my poor choices as a young woman. Indiana Jones said "Its not the years it the miles". No biggie, just imagine how round I could be if I could get away with a lot of fatty foods
Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
It is actual damage thanks to my first husband. Parts of my digestive system have been taken out and there is a lot of scar tissue. When I said he tried to kill me for leaving him I was not exaggerating. In this case its really not so much my age as my poor choices as a young woman. Indiana Jones said "Its not the years it the miles". No biggie, just imagine how round I could be if I could get away with a lot of fatty foods
LOL! Gotta have a positive attitude Everything we went through before, brought us here today.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 AM
It is what it is.

Quote:
LOL! Gotta have a positive attitude Everything we went through before, brought us here today.
Amen. Hardship is a gift (though sometimes you'd like be a regifter )