Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,492 Times in 788 Posts

Advertise Here

I always get a flu shot. It was my prep when I temped and didn't have any paid sick leave. Always better to spend a few dollars on the shot then to go a day without pay. I also use hand sanitizer like crazy during the winter months at work. There is always the one person who comes to work sick to "tough it out." Then they get everyone else sick. I also take Airborne when I hear coughing/sneezing at work. It seems to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to emh1701 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM
High-Strung

I wasn't panicked until a seemingly healthy 32 year old school teacher died of complications from the flu last week in my community. People started making a run on the pharmacies and doctor offices wanting the flu shot after that. Her death just hit a little too close to home. This wasn't an elderly person or a small child. You really don't question it when people with compromised immune systems die from it, but when a healthy, young person does, it tends to scare people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ikesiked For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,553 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikesiked View Post
I wasn't panicked until a seemingly healthy 32 year old school teacher died of complications from the flu last week in my community. People started making a run on the pharmacies and doctor offices wanting the flu shot after that. Her death just hit a little too close to home. This wasn't an elderly person or a small child. You really don't question it when people with compromised immune systems die from it, but when a healthy, young person does, it tends to scare people.
gv it some time...what you usually find out is that the person wasnt as "healthy" as it seemed at first...you would be surprised how many foks have immune system issues that are undiagnosed..its the odds you have to look at...you also have to look at if the treatment given didnt have anything to do w/ the death

Folks die from the common cold too..very few but they do
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 12vman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 01:18 PM

It is widespread around here...wife did not heed the warnings but she is about 9-10 days into it now and she is about healed up...I got a flu shot...take lots of vit C, D, B and echinacea and zinc and local honey and apple cider vinegar. Wash my hands about every half hour at work and carry hand sanitizer with me everywhere I go. I avoid large groups when ever possible. So far, so good....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nazratt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
?

Thanked 1,826 Times in 696 Posts

The flu widespread this year but isn't horrible. A good many of my family just got over it.

Progression for us:

It spread like wildfire through my sister's vaccinated patients just before Christmas.

My sister contracted it (she was also vaccinated) from her patients and took Tamiflu immediately when her symptoms began so she never developed a full-blown case.

My sister gave it to my BIL who brought it to our family Christmas gathering.

My 75 year old dad got it.

I got it.

My mom (unvaccinated) started coming down with it, started Tamiflu immediately and it didn't develop further.

Adults were sick for a week. It wasn't fun, but getting sick occasionally is an unfun part of life. We were no sicker than others we know who got the vaccine yet contracted the flu. Based on those folks and what my sister is seeing in her practice, the flu shot hasn't been that effective around here. Surprise, suprise. Tamiflu appears to be effective with this strain.

My 8 & 9 year old niece and nephew got it. (Nephew is immunocompromised) They were sick for a couple of days.

The only people we know of who have died from it are a couple of my sister's elderly patients with other serious comorbid conditions. The rest of her geriatric patients weathered it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 PM

I have a post on some things that might help if you get the flu http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/201...o-for-the-flu/
Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 AM

I find the best way not to get the flu is to not let the government inject me with that virus. Works for me for 30 yrs.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 9,096 Times in 4,524 Posts

Bio Security? Don't be like the typical filthy human. Wash your hands, take your vitamins and you will be fine.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 AM

I have never had a Flu shot. I think all it does is inject your body with parts of the flu virus and does not actually build your immune system. I have had the flu a few time. I had it this year. It took me 4 days to get over it but my wife who has had the flu shoot every year, including this early this season, got it as well. It took her almost 10 days to recover from it. I have a weaken immune system due to a few earlier health problems. I will get sick from the shot so take my chance.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
Target Shooter

Some good advice in here so far. Another major reason I am a big advocate of D3, in addition to its anticancer, antiviral, and antimicrobial properties, is its ability to regulate the body's autoimmune response.

During the 1918 flu, which killed an estimated 20 to 50 million people, most did not die of the flu- they died of secondary infections, such as hemmorhagic pneumonia and pulmonary edema. What happened was their autoimmune system kicked in, and then went into overdrive and never shut down- creating what is known as a cytokine storm. Basically, their body continued to send healthy immune cells to the site of the infection in an autoloop, and never shut down. In some cases, the healthy cells literally blocked out the lungs, causing people to drown. In other cases, the activity fatally damaged the surrounding organs and tissues to where people bled to death internally. More recently, more than 300 people died in the Ukraine of similar symptoms. Taking D3 helps to regulate our autoimmune system, effectively preventing cytokine storms.

Another natural antiviral and antibacterial medicine to effectively prevent and treat flu and/or cytokine storms is the much lesser known Lomatium. I just recently picked some up and will be keeping it in the 'just in case' cabinet.