Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Plants don't run!

Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,040 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreig View Post
Has anyone used the Eberlestock Micro Condo 1 man tent? It says it has enough room for a man and a pack, but is that a 60-70L pack??
The Eberlestock Micro-Condo is 34x106

My setup is 40x82 and I have fit my 85l internal frame in there, I'm 6'2", and still had enough room to move around. Your dimensions are close to mine, so I'm guessing with a slightly smaller pack (your 60-70L), you too will be alright pulling your pack in.

GeoGuy (ThoughtfulWolf)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGuy View Post
The Eberlestock Micro-Condo is 34x106

My setup is 40x82 and I have fit my 85l internal frame in there, I'm 6'2", and still had enough room to move around. Your dimensions are close to mine, so I'm guessing with a slightly smaller pack (your 60-70L), you too will be alright pulling your pack in.

GeoGuy (ThoughtfulWolf)
Thanks mate, I appreciate it! What sort of setup do you use? I'm looking for light, durable, packable.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Responder

Quote:
Thanks mate, I appreciate it! What sort of setup do you use? I'm looking for light, durable, packable.
If you're going to be living out of it for a while, you may as well spring for a 1.5-2 person tent. At 6'2" with matching wingspan, I like to spread out a bit as well. I've been using an MSR Hubba Hubba for a couple of years. It has survived 40 mm rain storms, winter camping (with 1.2m of new snow,) temperate desert, beaches, and . I've easily put 200 days on it, and it still keeps the rain/bugs out. Overall, it packs down to 4 lbs and if you leave the bug net behind it's even less. Plenty of room for one, two in a squeeze, and my 70L pack fits (snugly) in the vestibule. For longer term solutions I set up a tarp over one of the doors to make getting in/out less of a pain when it's raining.

Quick specs
Floor: 84x49
Ceiling: 40"
Packed size: 20x7
Weight: 4 lbs
Fly w/ footprint: 3 lbs
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 PM

The only way I have Lound that keeps tuff from getting stolen isto keep it on you. When my wife and rode our horses coast to coast that was a huge concern in certain areas. Also done some long distance hiking and locking a pack is a pain. I wish I could help more.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Prepared

Cool, thanks guys! Hey, I've worked out where my trip is going to start. Chile. I'm signing up for the two year mountaineering guide course that includes skiing, hiking and climbing in Alaska, Patagonia (Chile) and Spain. Well, not skiing in Spain....

I was already closely looking at Mystery Ranch packs from a suggestion on here, and after asking the head instructor at the mountaineering school what pack to ask, the Mystery Ranch 7000 was among the few he suggested. So that's what I'm going with. Phew! One decision down! Well, two actually. I now know where the first two years of my multi year jaunt is going to take me. Costs $30 000 US, but that's ok. And I think, seeing as though I'm going to be high up in the Alpine regions, I'm going to get a 4 season tent. I am, and already was, considering the Hilleberg Jannu. A 6lb two person all weather tent. Haven't decided on a sleeping bag yet, but I'm pretty set on the ThermoRest Neo Air XTherm sleeping mat.

Honestly, I'm really excited now that I know what I'm doing!!!

Still need other suggestions for gear though.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Backpacker I Adventurer

Thanked 1,286 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Cool, thanks guys! Hey, I've worked out where my trip is going to start. Chile. I'm signing up for the two year mountaineering guide course that includes skiing, hiking and climbing in Alaska, Patagonia (Chile) and Spain. Well, not skiing in Spain....

I was already closely looking at Mystery Ranch packs from a suggestion on here, and after asking the head instructor at the mountaineering school what pack to ask, the Mystery Ranch 7000 was among the few he suggested. So that's what I'm going with. Phew! One decision down! Well, two actually. I now know where the first two years of my multi year jaunt is going to take me. Costs $30 000 US, but that's ok. And I think, seeing as though I'm going to be high up in the Alpine regions, I'm going to get a 4 season tent. I am, and already was, considering the Hilleberg Jannu. A 6lb two person all weather tent. Haven't decided on a sleeping bag yet, but I'm pretty set on the ThermoRest Neo Air XTherm sleeping mat.

Honestly, I'm really excited now that I know what I'm doing!!!

I always wanted to try the Hillberge Soulo, however at 600 dollars. I don't think so lol
Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 AM
Backpacker I Adventurer

Thanked 1,286 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atra Mors View Post
hmmmm.....well, I've used these since the first day they hit the market (about 20 years ago). Secured my gear on my equator trek across Kenya, as well as Mexico's Copper Canyon, and CitlaltÚpetl, plus the highlands of Guatemala..I guess I wasted my money, and bought junk....thanks, I'll find something better ....
That's kewl, however you most likely could have done the same trip without it. But if you appreciated the extra weight and bringing it along to give you peace of mind then that's okay. Your trek your kit, I just would rather people not think that it is a must own piece of equipment, because in reality you just done need it.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potantsuem View Post
That's kewl, however you most likely could have done the same trip without it. But if you appreciated the extra weight and bringing it along to give you peace of mind then that's okay. Your trek your kit, I just would rather people not think that it is a must own piece of equipment, because in reality you just done need it.
My suggestion was just a suggestion.....nothing else. And the reality is, is that it may not be needed 90 percent of the time. However, for what it's worth.....you better have it, if you're riding the Lunatic between Mombasa and Nairobi....
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Responder

Quote:
Just show up with money and buy what you need as you go. Learn to love the BD online ordering system. Here are some tips:

Tent: Integral designs eVent MK series. Totally bombproof.

Pad: Just get an exped downmat, and be sure to bring a foam pad (z-lite) as well for camping on snow.

Boots: Full shank, welts for crampons, plastic for temps <-15C, and lightweight hikers (all leather.)

Belay device: ATC-guide, gri-gri for sport

Gloves: Lots of gloves, don't cheap out. Leather is good for working with ropes.

Stove: Whisperlite International.

Ski bindings: For your AT setup, get a pair of dynafit or plum bindings and boots to match. Don't waste your time lugging around a pair of Fritschi's unless you want to do some slacking. Silveretta makes bindings that will fit mountaineering boots, for long alpine approaches.

Transceiver: Mammut Pulse is industry standard for multiple burials. Don't get the Element.

Ice screws: BD express screws with the speed knob and nothing else.

Crampons: BD and Grivel make the best ones.

Ice tools: BD Cobras

Mountaineering axe: Minor shaft curve, technical pick. Petzl Sum'tec, for example.

Dynamic rope: 2x 60m half (1/2) ropes (ice climbing), 1x 50m single rope 10mm (glacier travel), 1x 60m single rope <10mm (Rock climbing), all UIAA rated.

Static rope: 2x 5m 8mm cord, 2x 5m 7mm cord, 2x 5m 6mm cord, 1x 20m 11mm static rope. Sterling, blue water, and maxim makes good stuff.

Harness: One with lots of gear loops for rock/ice climbing, one lightweight harness you can wear comfortably under your expedition pack.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 AM
Prepared

Well, I've got my gear list. I'm looking at about $7000. Nice. Lucky I've got two years....
Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Has anyone used the Eberlestock Micro Condo 1 man tent? It says it has enough room for a man and a pack, but is that a 60-70L pack??
Hi. The Micro Condo has the same dimensions of the Carinthia's Micro Tent (270 cm long) and yes it's long enough to fit all the equipment an SF soldier carries.

IMO if you're going for such a gear go for the Carinthia Observer or the civilian version called "X-Tour Protector". Micro Tent/Micro Condo is too "special" for ordinary bivouac, unless you're about to join the SASR.

You can contact CoolKit Australia for further info.

http://www.coolkit.com.au/bivy_bags.html
Old 01-25-2013, 04:15 AM

You can see some detailed images of the Micro Tent here

http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=u3eE7Glo
Old 01-31-2013, 10:22 AM
Prepared

Ski Ninja, thanks for the detailed list mate. I'll take my time going through that lot. As far as tents go guys, I'm going to get the Hilleburg Jannu, a 4 season free stand two-man. At $700+ it's definitely pricey, but I've discussed options with the mountaineering guide head instructor, and I think the Jannu will best suit my needs.