Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 01-11-2013, 04:56 PM

Default Looking for a New Bug-In Location

Advertise Here

Am in Northern Illinois today, and definitely do not want to remain. Now that I've convinced my in-laws to move in with us at an out-of-state location, which is why I'm still trapped here in Obamastan, am looking for the right location. As wife and I are in our 50s, with in-laws in their 80s/90s, and wife has health issue (COPD), I believe "bugging in" (i.e. staying in our home in a SHTF scenario) is best choice.

With all that said, am looking at locations that give me acreage (20+ acres), a 3 bdrm., 2 bath, basement, out-buildings/workshop, barn or other facility, etc., with well water, spring or other natural water source and can support small game hunting and fishing, and lastly allow me to farm/garden enough to support the four of us. All of this on a $300,000 budget.

Am thinking about the Ozarks (Southern Missouri, Northern/NW Arkansas), as I want to avoid state income tax, crazy-arse gun laws (today at least), and large manmade dangers such as nuclear facilities, and large military bases that could become targets, etc.

Would welcome any ideas or suggestions that other good folks here would have.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Prepared

The ozarks are a great place to have a rural palace........ Lots of like minded preppers every where you turn.......

Cost of living is super cheap in the ozarks of missouri compared to illinois.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus-Ra For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 PM

Thanks Zeus-Ra.

Sounds like perhaps you are in that general area and have some local knowledge. Should the wife, her parents, and I end up there, I'll be looking for like-minded folks with local knowledge, etc. What my profile/bio doesn't tell folks is that I was raised in the South, so having a love for the outdoors comes natural I think. Am looking forward to being able to step outside and just enjoy the peace and quiet and see the natural beauty that a night sky brings without lots of street lights, sirens sounding, etc.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Trapper

I would think moderate winters as well. Not directly in a full force impact zone from Hurricane winds, perhaps rainfall (inland "enough")
The Following User Says Thank You to jronwood For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Sure hope so. Am leaning towards Northern Arkansas (mountainous area).
Old 01-11-2013, 07:13 PM

Find a house of brick, it should be on high ground, prepare to change the
apperance to look more like a castle, think how they did it in midevil times.
have enough food and water with fuel to NOT VENTURE OUT for 6 months.
This can easily done even if you have to build the main structure.
Now you migt have a chance. But stay away from the madrid fault.
The Following User Says Thank You to tight-group For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM
stubborn old broad

Thanked 1,084 Times in 388 Posts

We also have decided that bugging-in is our only option. Too old and crippled up to be sneaking through the woods in facepaint...

Our choice was to be in a semi-tropic coastal area, so that a year round growing season, plentiful fish and a shallow water table would make feeding ourselves reasonably do-able.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZombieHoneyBadger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Ouch - that's my thumb!

I'm in N Central AR. Land is plentiful and very reasonable. Resources are vast. I would stay away from the extreme NW corner of AR, personally. There are a lot of like minded people anywhere from Conway north.
The Following User Says Thank You to RZRBACK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,485 Times in 982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sadamerican View Post
Am in Northern Illinois today, and definitely do not want to remain. Now that I've convinced my in-laws to move in with us at an out-of-state location, which is why I'm still trapped here in Obamastan, am looking for the right location. As wife and I are in our 50s, with in-laws in their 80s/90s, and wife has health issue (COPD), I believe "bugging in" (i.e. staying in our home in a SHTF scenario) is best choice.

With all that said, am looking at locations that give me acreage (20+ acres), a 3 bdrm., 2 bath, basement, out-buildings/workshop, barn or other facility, etc., with well water, spring or other natural water source and can support small game hunting and fishing, and lastly allow me to farm/garden enough to support the four of us. All of this on a $300,000 budget.

Am thinking about the Ozarks (Southern Missouri, Northern/NW Arkansas), as I want to avoid state income tax, crazy-arse gun laws (today at least), and large manmade dangers such as nuclear facilities, and large military bases that could become targets, etc.

Would welcome any ideas or suggestions that other good folks here would have.
I wish you the absolute best in your upcoming adventure, and if you have the ability, you may want to document it posterity and sharing!

As to where? I'd suggest you start looking in Wyoming, Especially if they get that legislation passed.

As for reactors, I looked around and found some info that might be useful for you?

Arkansas: http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/mass_d..._usa_mark.html
MO: http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/mass_d...r_usa_mmo.html
US Map: http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/mass_d...r_usa_map.html
The Following User Says Thank You to SunwolfNC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,306 Times in 3,899 Posts

you should check into the SB archives and the previous posting concerning earthquakes .... that entire area, starting in Southern IL is overdue for a major quake .... being a newbie, not sure if you're aware of that SHTF potential .....
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Outlander Territory

Thanked 1,000 Times in 381 Posts

Living in Wyoming where we plan to bug-in should SHTF I wouldn't recommend it for any but the hardiest people - bitter winters, short growing season, large distances between ranches (difficult to barter) or other preppers (which I am finding). However, if you can live with those things it is exceedingly remote with very little chance of violence etc encroaching on us in rural areas. If fuel becomes scarce or non-existent you will certainly what some other form of transportation.
One more benefit is the easy ability to live off-grid. Every place has it's pros and cons so you have to decide what to gain for what sacrifice.
The Following User Says Thank You to DuneElliot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,133 Posts

Sons lives in the foothills of the Ozarks in Pacific Mo. Gorgeous. He has access to water, fishing,hunting etc. and the scenery is beautiful.
The Following User Says Thank You to bunny For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Id say eastern AR, East of LR. Id stay far enough from St Louis #1, Ozarks close enough but not too close as lots might plan on that from Little Rock, Tulsa, OkC and KC. And stay just far enough away of the major interstate runs like 40 as it will get bogged anyway with people trying to get out of TEXAS Should Dallas get hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to ignis fatuus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 AM

RazorBack,

Thanks so much for your counsel. Am looking at properties in the Mountain Home area. Would very much appreciate other areas that you would suggest I consider.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 7,744 Times in 2,366 Posts

Am thinking about the Ozarks (Southern Missouri, Northern/NW Arkansas),

You want to move into the heart of the "Bible-banjo-belt?!"

Are you out of your freakin' mind???

Not only is there a long-term drought going on there, but it is the heart of the toothless-goofs-region where meth-cooking and corrupt police abound.

Yeah there's lots of preppers down there (who would love to leave BTW), and that's because land is so cheap that no one wants really to be there.

I had one person email me last year and described the rural status--her one comment to me was that... "did anyone actually have a job in Missouri?"

Visited a friend of mine in the Collins area of Missouri a couple years back--and quite frankly it is a ****e-hole in every respect.

If you really want to "live free" --then go out west. West of the Rockies.

Go to the Carson Valley in Nevada... gun friendly. Wonderful climate. No state taxes. Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities. Little or no snow in the winter and so on. Or go to Idaho.

Get the Ozarks out of your freakin' mind.