Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 01-11-2013, 05:30 PM

Default BOB AR question

Advertise Here

I always thought that when bugging out that I would carry a concealed 1911 and an AR rifle however the more I think about carrying an AR the more I think it could draw unwanted attention. Would any of you consider breaking down your AR and putting it in your B.O.B. so that you would have it later for hunting? Is a concealed carry pistol enough to defend yourself in an urban environment until you can access your rifle?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Reaper

Most if it depends on the situation. Something else you can consider is that they make backpacks specifically designed to find an ar15 inside of a back compartment. Eberlestock is a very good brand, and this is the pack im considering for myself as it doesn't look military either

http://eberlestock.com/Cherry%20Bomb...%20Weapon.html
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM
The Right of the People..

If you can afford a $300 bag, go for it. Wish I could. But all it does is cover the gun up. Still pretty obvious there is a rifle in it.

When it comes time to bug out, the AR will be in my arms, shotgun in my scabbard and pistol on my hip. The rifle isnt much good in pieces. If you are seen with a bag on your back, it will attract attention when people are hungry. No matter what. I would rather be seen as a threat to a foe because of the rifle in my arm than an easy target because there is no weapon out.

If the person/people are still after you with your weapon displayed, they have reached desperation and at that point, I would rather have the AR out than a pistol...
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Learning

Thanked 3,867 Times in 2,000 Posts

Get a good sling...probably a 2 or 3 point sling and carry it. It lets the innocents know that you aren't to be bothered and those with teeth realize you might not be worth it.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 PM
The Right of the People..

Sorry, just saw link. First ive seen those bags. Not as obvious as their other bags. But regardless, like I said, EVERY bag will be targeted and I would rather have my battle rifle available.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedennis View Post
Sorry, just saw link. First ive seen those bags. Not as obvious as their other bags. But regardless, like I said, EVERY bag will be targeted and I would rather have my battle rifle available.
I do agree with you, alot of it depends on what kinda area you live in and alot of other factors. He did also say he would have his pistol on him, which is some places or situations could be enough.

Having a bag like that gives you options, just because you have the bag doesn't mean you cant carry your rifle. But it gives you the option to put it away and hide it if needed, also letting you store your rifle in your car for a GHB, if you think you need it in your hands just take it out and put the pack on and do what you need to do.

In a SHTF having options is everything
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 PM
I have issues

Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,220 Posts

My thought is carry your rifle because if you need it you will not have time to put it together or get it out of some bag. But most important, Bug out as unseen as possible. That is the best way not to draw unwanted attention to yourself.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the replies. That is a lot to think about for me. I am surprised that only six responded to this I really thought more folks had thought about this.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,836 Times in 1,737 Posts

Push a baby stroller. Keep the AR in the stroller under a quilt.

Some over-excited folks in a mob might give you a pass if they think you have a kid. Others won't. Shoot them.

A broken down AR can fit inside of a larger rucksack, a golf caddy, a bedroll, a musical instrument case, a gardening wagon, a baby stroller, or be hand carried in a gym bag, canvas sports equipment bag, or piece of airline luggage. You could jury rig a cover or camouflage and attach it to a wheeled travel luggage carrier with some other bags. If I saw a man carrying a traveler's carry-on clothing bag I'd probably assume he had a business suit or two on a hangers inside (as opposed to a semi-auto rifle).

Obviously, this is a situation where short barreled SBRs shine...if you are willing to go the tax route.

There would definitely be times and places where toting the rifle in the open would draw authorities to disarm you. Judgement call.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 PM
\,,/ (^o^) \,,/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedennis View Post
When it comes time to bug out, the AR will be in my arms, shotgun in my scabbard and pistol on my hip...If you are seen with a bag on your back, it will attract attention when people are hungry. No matter what.
so...when you "bug-out" it's with 3 weapons and no pack (supplies) on foot, so as not to attract the attention of hungry people?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 104,758 Times in 33,566 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

That's the very reason I chose a Kel-Tec SU-16 for my BOB. Not only is it unbelievably light, but it folds up really small and fits in a pack that doesn't look like it could possibly be carrying a rifle.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.