Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Advertise Here

why do people insist on spending money on things easily made
Old 11-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,454 Times in 3,238 Posts

Forgot to mention--slingbows aren't legal for hunting in most places
Old 11-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,461 Times in 1,776 Posts

Slingshot. Great weapon. I prefer the David slingshot myself!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 PM

I have to opologize, the subscription (or the email) of new topics never showed up in my email. I checked the spam but nothing there either. Jeesh! what a pain.

I was given a cheap slingshot and I definitely had some fun shooting. I thought I was a worse shot than I actually was lol It does make me want to invest in something better, with a rest, sight or a slingbow. I wrote to chiefaj and checked on shipping and its definitely reasonable. I might instead make use of archery arrows instead of the 3-piece on the site.

When I get it I'll try different types of ammo to test. I can't shoot the slingbow at archery (I asked) so I might have to wait for summer to try some of it out. I've even checked out how to weave the "david slingshot" - one made out of paracord. Another favorite of mine.

Thanks for replying, and I apologize for the late reply.
I definitely think its something to look into, and a fun thing to shoot
Geoff
Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 9,886 Times in 3,271 Posts

Slingshots and Blow Guns are amazing for small critters. Anyone that scoffs at a tool that's been in use since before firearms are idiots... simple and rudimentary, but still effective in the right circumstances.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:37 PM

I've always had the mindset of having a backup and I prefer simple/rudimentary tools like firesteel over lighters (as an example)

The fact they can be easily repaired, and ammo fashioned easily from natural materials is a plus. At the very least a lenght of rubber tubing would be an asset in a kit.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,734 Times in 1,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
This could be its own thread. Let me answer the question two ways.

First, from a financial perspective, one should only make what is cheaper than it is to buy. So, if the item costs $15 and I make $15/hour I should only make it if it takes < 1 hour to make.

Second, from a self-reliance perspective, one should know how to make items they need, be it easy to make or not easy to make. But the general driver ought to be financial as it maximizes resources.

I say "general" b/c no one is here to deal with general or normal circumstances.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
This could be its own thread. Let me answer the question two ways.

First, from a financial perspective, one should only make what is cheaper than it is to buy. So, if the item costs $15 and I make $15/hour I should only make it if it takes < 1 hour to make.

Second, from a self-reliance perspective, one should know how to make items they need, be it easy to make or not easy to make. But the general driver ought to be financial as it maximizes resources.

I say "general" b/c no one is here to deal with general or normal circumstances.
true but how much time do people sit and waste watching tv sitting in front of a pc or a million other activities that are classifiable as marginally-un productive
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 PM

depends what you call being unproductive? lol
I think I'd like to know how to make a good, sturdy sling... but I might find
my homemade slingshot to be less reliable or it may have less power..
Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Survivus most anythingus

Thanked 4,454 Times in 1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
Slingshots and Blow Guns are amazing for small critters. Anyone that scoffs at a tool that's been in use since before firearms are idiots... simple and rudimentary, but still effective in the right circumstances.
I have killed many rabbits, squirrels and birds with a standard Trumark Wrist-Rocket. I've used rocks, steel ball bearings, steel cylinder bearings, lead muzzle loader balls and bullets for reloading. (My Dad died before he could teach me how to reload, so, I had hundreds of bullets in his desk and gun cabinet to use...and I did.)

White marbles are neat but they lack the weight to kill a lot of stubborn animals.

I had a .40 Cal. Yaqua Brand Blowgun from the 1980s and a MX-7 Dart Gun that took the same type of dart. I wish I still had that! The dart gun would kill any small game but it had really stupid sights on it. Nowadays? I wish someone would make that again and put a laser sight on it and up the caliber of the dart to the Cold Steel .625 Magnum. But the regular .40 Cal. Blowguns? I was never able to cleanly kill small game with it. I shot mice in the house and I could pin them right to a baseboard but it didn't kill them outright, so I don't think I would advise them for hunting small game or the .38 Cal. Jivaro blowguns that came out before the .40 became popular.

The Cold Steel .625 is a killer on small game. You're basically huffing a finishing nail instead of a thin piece of piano/music wire and that makes all of the difference in the world.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,454 Times in 3,238 Posts

Quote:
What PeterEnergy said with these five provisos:
1) Ability or lack thereof -- whether mental or physical;
2) Availability and/or accessibility of/to materials;
3) Availability and/or accessibility of/to the proper tools;
although both the above somewhat negated by the Internet and courier delivery services
4 & 5) Most Importantly and I can't decide which of these two it is -- Desire Priority.

I've attempted making a longbow--an abysmal failure but it at least shot an arrow some 40' before cracking...I'll leave bowmaking to the professionals and it would be a very long time before I'd have to resort (last ditch) to building a bow with all the different makes and models I/we have.

I've made and fletched arrows (poorly) and knapped flint, obsidian and glass soda bottle bottoms for arrow/spear heads, knives and axes (also poorly) and again will let the pros make their livings at it...Again, It would be a very sad day when we've used up the last of our arrows.

I have lots of hardwoods, even exotics for laminates, lying around the shop as well as thick plastic and even some metal tubing from which I can construct a catapult frame but I do not have surgical tubing, bicycle tire inner tubes (we ride tubeless) or leaky rubber chest/hip waders or whatever laying about from which I can make the launcher...I'm not going to waste my time finding the materials online; then pay exorbitant shipping charges for them; then spend the time constructing something I really don't want to (or have to) build -- ours all work fine -- and, especially, when I can buy a very good, brand spanking new, all steel folding one (that even comes with thirty steel ball bearings) for $30 plus taxes -- about what the tubing and shipping would have cost...For about the same amount of money, energy, time but not materials, I could build a wooden toy truck/car or a bluegrass etc. music laminated wooden spoon set that I can sell for $50, $60 even $100 at the flea market.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Survivor

Quote:
true but how much time do people sit and waste watching tv sitting in front of a pc or a million other activities that are classifiable as marginally-un productive
That is an entirely different point, one that my father makes all the time - especially around holidays. Never forget that we are not called Human Doings but Human Beings. The purpose of life is not to do but to be. And what we strive to be is happy.

Now, we can debate short term happiness versus long term happiness but happiness itself is a state of mind, an attitude, an aspect of psychology, morality or religion. This is separate from analyzing scarcity of resources, which is the domain of economics.

Being productive all the time has been criticized for ever. Keeping holy the Sabbath day is an activity that is classifiable as marginally-un productive. Hence the saying, "All work and no play makes John a dull boy."

The "make or buy" decision is one that should be economically driven unless one wants to learn the skill. I am surprised you based it on the ease of making a sling shot. There are many skills that may not be easy but more important to learn before SHTF, like identifying usefulness of local plants, black smiting, animal husbandry, etc. I even came across a site yesterday about how to make your own air gun. I can see that becoming increasingly important as the disaster becomes long term.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeballer View Post
Things brings up the point of The Law of Diminishing Returns. The time it takes to simply make a sling compared to the time to make one that performs competitively to one that can be purchased is time one could prepare for SHTF in more productive ways.

One thing I've been thinking about recently is BOL's and what if your chosen location has been chosen, unbeknownst to you, by someone else. It takes time to identify and secure a safe location. To me, the time to have back ups of things like this is more productive than knowing how to make your own sewing needle, sling, shelter. By that I mean, there are certain things we are more likely able to improvise on the spot than others. A sling compared to another safe place to locate is an example.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Blame Canada.

Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeballer View Post
depends what you call being unproductive? lol
Weaving slings is about as productive as it comes. If you get right down to it, you can learn 3 very basic survival skills that are pretty much neglected in the face of cool knives. You learn cordage making and weaving. You can weave a sling you can weave just about anything within reason. Thees took awhile, but are worth it in fun.

Give it a try. Who knows, you may even find it productive.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Blame Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Things brings up the point of The Law of Diminishing Returns. The time it takes to simply make a sling compared to the time to make one that performs competitively to one that can be purchased is time one could prepare for SHTF in more productive ways.

One thing I've been thinking about recently is BOL's and what if your chosen location has been chosen, unbeknownst to you, by someone else. It takes time to identify and secure a safe location. To me, the time to have back ups of things like this is more productive than knowing how to make your own sewing needle, sling, shelter. By that I mean, there are certain things we are more likely able to improvise on the spot than others. A sling compared to another safe place to locate is an example.
Roll up a bandanna, Bang, a sling.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Target Shooter

I sometimes take a slingshot and marbles squirrel hunting. I shoot the nests with the slingshot and marble. When the squirrel runs out and stops to see what it was that disturbed his nest. I shoot him with either a 22lr or a pellet gun. Some nests have not squirrels, some do. Usually hunt with a partner. That way one can shoot the nest while another one shoots the squirrel. Marbles being colorful, can easily be found when they fall back to the ground to be used again.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dixie_Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 AM

well, I didn't equate it with building a sling.. but as badcow later pointed out there's other skills involved; such as weaving and cordage. It also provides another necessity for survival; keeping onself occupied. And that could be a phychological booster if you are alone.

btw. love the pics
The Following User Says Thank You to freeballer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Prepared

Personally, I prefer to buy something good quality when I'm trying to learn how to use it. I'd get frustrated if my first attempt to aim with a weapon kept getting stymied by sticks breaking in half on me.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Blame Canada.

Slings here.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
Roll up a bandanna, Bang, a sling.
Do you think a rolled up bandana performs as good as a Daisy?