Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Pirate for Hire

Advertise Here

4 inch barrel or less I prefer a holster in my strong hip side on my belt.

4 plus inch barrel I'm partial to a cross draw holster on my front weak side again on the belt.

I've tried shoulder rigs, but on the belt just seems to work the best, in my opinion.

Never felt like a sidearm was in the way. Lots of reasons to carry one, can't think of any other then your local law preventing you to do so, to not carry one.

I'm also old school and like leather in the field over nylon, but that's just my preference like the belt. Just remember there is more then one way to skin a carcas.
The Following User Says Thank You to BareBones For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 PM
I love this forum

I don't understand the idea of carrying say, a .45 or a 9mm. However a revolver with some snake loads seems to be pretty standard issue for me.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,621 Times in 2,335 Posts

carry my judge when hunting. use a chest rig. be forwarned on concealing while hunting. many places would still consider it concealed and if you do not have a ccl you wil not be doing yourself any favors. i know in oklahoma game wardens will inspect all gear
The Following User Says Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM
2ft MOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belifend View Post
The only place I could legally carry a handgun while on the land is when I lived in the arctic. This was about the only way you could be certain something would go BANG when you pulled the trigger. Keep in mind, where I was -50* without the windchill was quite common. Keep it under your parka in your armpit area so it didn't freeze. Technically, this wasn't legal as it was concealed (supposed to be open carry), but the few local RCMP and Wildlife Officers understood and often did similar.
Mine was pointed on about a 45* angle though....
I was in Alaska for a Winter at Ft. Greely. Not the coldest place in Alaska but certainly enough to get a taste of what you are talking about. Having a pistol anywhere but near your body for heat would be a problem.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM
2ft MOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Will_Survive View Post
carry my judge when hunting. use a chest rig. be forwarned on concealing while hunting. many places would still consider it concealed and if you do not have a ccl you wil not be doing yourself any favors. i know in oklahoma game wardens will inspect all gear
I do have a CCW license so that works out. I have looked into the Judge as a nice hunting companion pistol and there are many positives about it to include the ability to have loads that work for snake, bear, ex-wives, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to WonderMonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Alabama Crimson Tide

I use a shoulder holster with a Glock 21 in it. On top of my overalls and under my jacket while I'm deer hunting.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Travel Light

Thanked 1,833 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly disturbed View Post
Blackhawk Serpa retention system hung on my leg. Its a Glock so it will always go bang.
Don't count on it. The local rcmp officers had to use all steel side arms with wood grips as the polymer ones would crack or even explode when they did get a round to go bang when it got real cold.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Fortunately concealed while hunting is legal in Missouri with no CCW, you must be actively hunting though, camping and hiking do not count.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Prepared

If I have a long gun I often don't. I never go out fishing or hiking without a firearm of some kind though. I usually carry a S&W Model 60 Pro series 357 revolver with a 3" barrel. It's stainless, match grade barrel, good tritnium sights, great trigger, and darn accurate. It's light and small enough I just carry it on my right side just behind my middle belt loop in a custom leather holster designed for a Ruger SP101. Found the holster at the same pawn shop as the gun. It fits my needs as a trail gun about perfect. If I was looking for one now the new Ruger SP101 with the 4" barrel would be tempting. Especially since one can buy matching revolvers in 22LR and 357.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
I do have a CCW license so that works out. I have looked into the Judge as a nice hunting companion pistol and there are many positives about it to include the ability to have loads that work for snake, bear, ex-wives, etc.
i have 2 410's and the rest are 45lc. hate snakes and boars have been known to charge
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 PM
2ft MOA

Quote:
i have 2 410's and the rest are 45lc. hate snakes and boars have been known to charge
Exactly. When I purchase my next pistol I'll get the Judge (S&W, right) or the Taurus version. Got to read reviews, listen to people like yourself, etc.

With those 410's do you use a snake load?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey View Post
Exactly. When I purchase my next pistol I'll get the Judge (S&W, right) or the Taurus version. Got to read reviews, listen to people like yourself, etc.

With those 410's do you use a snake load?
the sw gov is what i would buy if i was in the market. 45acp/45lc/410 is much nicer to be able to shoot. where as the judge is 410/45lc though they do have the raging judge but for that money id buy the sw
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Hunter, Photographer

I just carry my Heritage .22 in a Hunter holster on my hip. Cheap, rugged, reliable single shot wit a .22LR and .22Mag Cylinder. Does good enough for finishing off game and as a coyote deterant. Wouldn't get rid of it for anything lol
Old 01-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Question your government

Are you squirell hunting?
I never feel a need to carry a pistol into the woods with me when I have a high powered rifle. But then again I usually walk several miles in rugged terain when Im hunting so weight is a factor. What's the purpose of a sidearm when hunting with a rifle and in what situations would it be required or useful?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1142 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 06:13 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 8,628 Times in 2,890 Posts

I put mine on my belt, but put it behind my loop on the side so I can slide it to the back if I'm sitting in a blind or needing to carry something on my hip. My pistol has a 6" barrel so it tends to lean forward anyway for when I'm on the go.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 AM
2ft MOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1142 View Post
I never feel a need to carry a pistol into the woods with me when I have a high powered rifle. But then again I usually walk several miles in rugged terain when Im hunting so weight is a factor. What's the purpose of a sidearm when hunting with a rifle and in what situations would it be required or useful?
Snakes mostly. Different loads, more mobile weapon (pistol versus rifle) and so forth. If not for snakes I would just rely on my rifle in the place I hunt.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:26 AM
Survivor

Quote:
for me? hrmm snakes, boars. while in cali it was snakes, mt lions, bears. same reason they have them while hunting in the interior alaska.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

Bagmaster fanny pack that is accessable with velcro instead of a zipper.

I have a blue one and a green one in nice friendly camping / non-threatening sheeple colors. One is large for my .44 and the other is medium for my normal CCW.

http://www.bagmaster.com/cart/produc...k%20Medium.htm

btw now it looks like they discontinued the velcro (zippers now) and the large only comes in black. Got mine like 20 yrs ago.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:57 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,019 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:
I feel the same way. Why do I want an inferior weapon on my hip when I have a superior weapon in my hands?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:13 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinter View Post
I feel the same way. Why do I want an inferior weapon on my hip when I have a superior weapon in my hands?
same reason you dont want a 2 handed broadsword in a 4' hallway. btw when hiking doyou always have your rifle at the ready? if a hand gun is so inferior why dont all police officers only carry a carbine rifle?

when a bear is at a range where a rifle is indeed superior that is great but you dont know if its a threat. a rifle also isnt superior when a snake is at your feet within striking distance.