Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-10-2012, 03:05 PM

Advertise Here

A lot of great info here, Thanks
Old 06-19-2012, 10:48 AM

I would like to have you as a neighbor.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1500 View Post
----------------------
Any decent Gerber tools/knives out there, or are you set on your choice of knife?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLA View Post
I prefer Gerber tools to the rest, but I like redheads too. Knives are the same, good steel,easy to sharpen is key. The sheeth is what makes it a system. Make yourself happy withem. Packs as well, I chose mine like I do gf's, can I stand it on my back for days at a time. Ymmv
Havent been on here in forever and just saw my old post. Since then I have added and changed... everything lol.
As far as knives I am running a Surefire Edge right now and Ive got a few benchmades and other Kershaw blades laying around. Picked up a Rat RC-4 and a Fallkniven A1 for my trusty fixed blades. Ive built a ton of fires and shelters with the RC-4 and its good to go.

The firearms(and ammo) have grown exponentially. Not sure how many handguns I own anymore. Picked up and M&P15 MOE a few years back and picked up a Daniel Defense V7 a couple weeks ago and im about to build an AR pistol.

Water is being added to a few gallons at a time plus weve put up rain collection barrels at my parrents and Ive got a 55 gallon in the back yard now Ive gotta set up here. Also picked up a Katadyn Vario to keep in my truck(Daily diver/BOV which has also been upgraded to a new Nissan Xterra thats been beefed up to handle all the offroading and camping we do)

Also added a bunch more and im getting ready to put together a plate carrier/ ammo carrier I think im gonna start it off with a shellback banshee. Still working on that one though.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Wow. This post was very informative. I've been reading it for the last couple weeks and here at the end I was convinced to create an account on these boards so I could post this. Very excellent quality.

PLA are you still around? I don't see a post on this thread since March of 2011. If you see this, thanks a lot for all the various tips and more importantly for explaining why you made what decisions you made. Thanks also for pointing out usrsog.org, I've read lots of excellent information there as well.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:32 PM

great posts
Old 12-29-2012, 06:01 PM

This is some of my favorite gear that I always carry.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 PM

PLA, I just wanted to say thank you so much for all your sharing of knowledge!! I think I've learned more from reading your threads than many days searching the net for survival info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SandMan71 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 1,478 Times in 635 Posts

I dont post much but I still stop and look occasionally. If you need anything PM me
Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM
This is a great survival forum

Opinel knives: amazing value, made in france, razor sharp, good carbon steel, great for cleaning small game like fowl.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:41 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 1,478 Times in 635 Posts

For a number of reasons I havent posted here for awhile, but for the very few who actually use gear instead of buying gear this is for you.

I have in the last few months dumped my normal pack for a Recce Smock

http://www.dropzonetactical.com/clot...ecce-smock.php

These things are absolutely great for 1-3 days out in the bush. Lots of pockets, load carries evenly on the shoulders and the Large size fits over armor and webbing very well. At 30 or 100 degrees its comfortable, use a liner like fleece in the cold, the only thing you need to carry your sustainment gear is a water bladder or 2

I have 2 of these, 1 OD and 1 Multicam. A great addition to real use gear, not a closet queen. If you just read posts this is beyond your budget, but if your day life takes you off the pavement you will love these smocks
The Following User Says Thank You to PLA For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013, 04:47 PM
Trapper

What I carry every day really changes. I would say 7 days out of 10 I have my Glock 23 (thinking of switching back to the 27 or maybe a XD compact) A pocket knife, lately my Kershaw Kuro, at least one lighter, chapstick, then my wallet and keys, my wallet has one of those credit card survival tools, and my keychain is more gear than keys, as the pictures show. Then depending where I'm going or what I'm doing I might add more, extra flashlight, extra mag, mace or stun gun, cuffs, SOG PowerLock, zip ties, whatever I feel might be needed or handy.

Heres a pic of the tool in my billfold.

Then my key chain.

Much of the stuff I have attached to clips so I can take it off so it is easy to use. The stuff laid out left to right in the last pic is my card for the indoor pistol range, pico widgy, e gear flashlight, pill container, lighter fluid bottle, split pea lighter, micro grappling hook, swss tec plier, 2 magnets, swiss tec screwdrivers still clipped to the main ring, then still on the ring are the caps to the pill container, lighter fluid bottle, split pea lighter, and the male end of the actual key ring, there is also an emergency whistle on the main ring. Also on the key ring at the right are a p-38 and a cuff key along with my actual keys with some gear ties around them.
The Following User Says Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 PM
I survive on Hate.

My EDC.
Uzi Tac Pen
Handcuffs(some consider it silly, in the area I live in, i consider justifiable.)
Benchmade 0500 Presido Automatic
Keys with OC
notebook
zippo
tobacco(cigs, dip)
Not pictured, cell phone, small tac light.

All help up on an Uncle mikes inner duty belt. Once my carry permit is approved, 2 mags and a Sig P229 will be added.
*sorry for the fuzzy pipcs, my autofocus isn't working right now.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Trapper

I've modded my holster a bit, into a bag-holster frankenstein creation. I put this together using an old BQM bag I had and an Uncle Mikes kydex holster. I wanted something like this but could not find one commercially available that I like, and I don't want the fanny pack either. The reasons I wanted this set-up are that 1. I seem to have a lot of times where the barrel and bottom 1/2 of my holster will flash when reaching for stuff or loading/unloading my vehicle, but I wanted to keep the style holster I had. 2. I don't want a whole extra bag or man purse on my belt or to carry around just a few other items, like pepper spray, flashlight, or whatever couple smaller items I want to carry that are a bit bulky for regular pockets. Also this helps reduce print on my clothing as the bag covers the barrel and holster entirely as well as the bag also covers a bit higher than the holster and the material and zipper push my shirt out just a bit to help break up the outline of the grips and back of the slide. You can bag on my cruddy old bag, but it has been around since around the 1st gulf war and I just put them together to get the setup I wanted, it may not be for you, but I like it. I wish some company would make something like it a bit nicer.

Here it is with just my Glock 23 in it.

Here it is with Ruger pepper spray clipped inside.

Life Gear flashlight with a Cerakote zippo inside. Carrying smaller stuff you can pull the zipper up and around all the way to the slide to keep it in.

A few more pics of it empty to try and give you an idea how it's put together and what it looks like.

You can see in this last pic one of the original belt loops. I cut the one under the holster out to make it a bit less bulky/more comfortable, plus the paddle will secure it just fine. I left the other one on so that I could keep the bag a little more stable and secure for the other gear in the bag.

The Following User Says Thank You to billwilla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2013, 03:15 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,432 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilla View Post
swss tec plier,
Might as well put a rubber band around it now.
When it gets loose, it will flop open and fall off key ring.
Mine is so loose I can't use it for plier, it just flops every which away.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
Might as well put a rubber band around it now.
When it gets loose, it will flop open and fall off key ring.
Mine is so loose I can't use it for plier, it just flops every which away.
carried mine for years, never had a problem.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Kibitzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilla View Post
carried mine for years, never had a problem.
Yes it carries great when new and not used.
But when you use it, it will loosen up.

I liked them when they were USA made, now they're mic.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
Yes it carries great when new and not used.
But when you use it, it will loosen up.

I liked them when they were USA made, now they're mic.
It's far from new, like I said, had mine for years, never had a problem. I will just jump to conclusions as you apparently like to do now. If you didn't abuse and misuse it, it would be fine.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Kibitzer

I had two go bad, had to buy the screwdriver set like your show.
YMMV