Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-31-2012, 04:26 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSmAnTLeR View Post
i would take one bjj class over a lifetime of aikido and TKD training.

seriously. aikido is garbage and TKD has been watered down for sport.
Did not say TKD I said Hapkido, there is a difference. I agree on your opinion of TKD but I find Hapkido very effective.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpDog View Post
props for Krav also for Jiu Jitsu or Hapkido as far as "unarmed" or lightly armed self defense. I also consider marksmanship a martial art and when you get into your fifties that becomes the most practical for most.

No martial art is worth a darn if you don't practice physically and maintain the proper mind set.
btw I do have a lifetime of training (50 yrs), used to fight professionally
Old 12-31-2012, 12:25 PM
I love this forum

Im my last school I fought many college age football players, they used TKD. I would rely mainly on quick lunges, reverse punches and heavy blocks against their wildly flailing techniques. I can say that, at 50+ years old and many lbs lighter, I more than held my own. The instructor, however, was an absolute genius. 5th dan with a vibrant business teaching self defense to bodyguards and contractors. I learned a lot of good hapkido from him. beware your prejudices.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 PM
I love this forum

that would be after a few moths or so of say 3x per week kumite I ended up with a few serious shin and forearm bruises while some of the younger kids packed it in. In my earlier full contact experience I was on international fighting teams and I have inflicted and witnessed horrific injuries (not on purpose).
Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 AM

Most real-life fights eventually end up as wrestling. Decent wrestling skills, the basics of boxing, and perhaps kali for real-world knife skills are a good combination. Any kicks are best concentrated on the knees and shins - punch above the waist, and kick below it.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,262 Times in 5,502 Posts

Quote:
Did not say TKD I said Hapkido, there is a difference. I agree on your opinion of TKD but I find Hapkido very effective.
There are some decent TKD/Hapkido out there born out of the early kickboxing days.
Some of those guys were hard men who taught effective stuff.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Former bubble gum chewer.

I will say that from what I've learned so far; when self-defense is the primary goal, Krav Maga should be your primary place to research and go from there.

I have never had any in-class instruction in any fighting form. My uncle Jack once taught me to throw a punch as if you're trying to make your fist come out the other side of the body.

When a group of guys tried to bully me at school; my dad said to grab the first one by the throat with one hand; his balls with the other, and twist until he went down. He said the point was to make damn sure that guy wouldn't be a threat while you dealt with the others.

I've read books on Karate, Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do; and am right now reading up on Krav Maga, Boxing and Fencing. I do this only to understand basic concepts since I am what you would call a budget survivalist right now.

I have been in a few fights in my life; though none really since I've hit maturity. My feeling is that there is no right style/form; because everyone's different.

I'm 5'10 and 203 lbs.; my body type is suited more for boxing. Someone who is 5'5 and 160 would be probably be better suited training in Muay Thai, Tae Kwan Do, Etc,...

I'm very much looking forward to increasing my knowledge if and when I enter the armed forces.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 PM

I've gotta vote for Systema. I feel like it's what Krav Maga tries to be.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickin_grinnin View Post
Most real-life fights eventually end up as wrestling. Decent wrestling skills, the basics of boxing, and perhaps kali for real-world knife skills are a good combination. Any kicks are best concentrated on the knees and shins - punch above the waist, and kick below it.
of the real-life fights I have had, several were taken out by a modified Tomoe Nage (with a choke hold added) and one by blunt force trauma to the opponents head (his eyes rolled back as I hit him). A couple were by backfist but they were mostly by accident (colleagues sneaking up on me and challenging me).
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litheran View Post
I will say that from what I've learned so far; when self-defense is the primary goal, Krav Maga should be your primary place to research and go from there.

I have never had any in-class instruction in any fighting form. My uncle Jack once taught me to throw a punch as if you're trying to make your fist come out the other side of the body.

When a group of guys tried to bully me at school; my dad said to grab the first one by the throat with one hand; his balls with the other, and twist until he went down. He said the point was to make damn sure that guy wouldn't be a threat while you dealt with the others.

I've read books on Karate, Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do; and am right now reading up on Krav Maga, Boxing and Fencing. I do this only to understand basic concepts since I am what you would call a budget survivalist right now.

I have been in a few fights in my life; though none really since I've hit maturity. My feeling is that there is no right style/form; because everyone's different.

I'm 5'10 and 203 lbs.; my body type is suited more for boxing. Someone who is 5'5 and 160 would be probably be better suited training in Muay Thai, Tae Kwan Do, Etc,...

I'm very much looking forward to increasing my knowledge if and when I enter the armed forces.
You need actual training mate. Reading books and watching wont teach you anything. Violence is physical and requires physical training to get the instinctive muscle memory happening. During an actual confrontation your bodys natural fear response will dump adrenaline and that effects your ability to think. Being punched hard repeatedly in the face makes it pretty hard to think too!

Muay Thai is an excellent choice (forget TKD) so is boxing, judo, MMA, BJJ. Pretty much all the sport arts have it all over the 'traditional' martial arts for many reasons. The physical conditioning, fitness and focus on real contact sparring.

Krav Maga is good if you are already in excellent physical condition or have a background in another fighting art.

Good luck and start training... start this week.
The Following User Says Thank You to PapaWhiskyBravo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,047 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
props for Krav also for Jiu Jitsu or Hapkido as far as "unarmed" or lightly armed self defense. I also consider marksmanship a martial art and when you get into your fifties that becomes the most practical for most.

No martial art is worth a darn if you don't practice physically and maintain the proper mind set.
As people get older their physical ability diminishes, and they have to rely on other means to protect themselves.

I remember an old man who slept with a shotgun next to him under the blankets, two hardcore violent felons broke into his cottage and threatened to kill him.
The old man could hardly walk but he had full command of the room from the corner with his shotgun whilst in bed.
One felon was shot at the end of the bed with a full load of 12 gauge BB, the other was shot in the rectum as he went out the window.

The most practical martial art will change over time as we age and lose ability.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Pffft

The best Martial Arts is the one that you will find interesting enough to keep doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mudslinger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Target Shooter

I have trained to 7 years in TKD and I am right now training in Krav maga with two years of off and on grainy and can say that it is probably far superior to alot of the MA out there for its simple concept.

In my life I have had training in TKD, AIKIDO, karate and Krav maga and is still would use krav as my go to Martial Art.CJ

But I have always heard this saying throughout my years that the best martial art is the one you never have to use.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Adventurer

Thanked 9,968 Times in 1,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
The best Martial Arts is the one that you will find interesting enough to keep doing.
Prize of the day to this man.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:06 PM

The most practical martial art is the one that best suits your needs. I've been a martial artist for 32 of the 42 years I've been alive. And in my opinion, the following is a great formula to start with in establishing a foundation for self defense, and in turn will put the odds in your favor:
1) 6 months of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (you're going to end up on the ground. Become comfortable at defending yourself from there).
2) 6 months of Wrestling (learn how to take someone down and control them from the top position).
3) Krav Maga / Muay Thai - Either one of these systems will give you great techniques using elbows and knees, which I prefer to punches and kicks. Used against multiple attackers.
4) Use your brain - don't put yourself in a position to use any of the above.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hakaida For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM

Default Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woksape View Post
I've gotta vote for Systema. I feel like it's what Krav Maga tries to be.
I also like the look of Systema ...even though it gets a bad rap on some M\a forums...i can see similarities to other things i've done.

I started with Judo when i was 11 ,Karate , Ju Jutsu for 20 yrs until i was 50.
I still keep fit and swim regularly....no serious m\a training for 2 yrs, a bit of a break to do other things
Now i am looking to something a bit less physical as i have too many old injuries.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:13 PM
crabby old bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taki View Post
I also like the look of Systema ...even though it gets a bad rap on some M\a forums...i can see similarities to other things i've done.

I started with Judo when i was 11 ,Karate , Ju Jutsu for 20 yrs until i was 50.
I still keep fit and swim regularly....no serious m\a training for 2 yrs, a bit of a break to do other things
Now i am looking to something a bit less physical as i have too many old injuries.
Krav Maga just feels more practical to me. The movements, techniques and principles are clear. Granted it does appear that Systema is popular and has some interesting material. Yet I think recent offerings from Systema that cover areas such as "no-touch kockouts" and "esp-mind control" are harming the credibility of Systema.

Just turned 42 myself back in December. From several years of martial arts training and incurring some injuries by other means, it has become necessary for me to re-evaluate training as well. There are other (and frankly smarter) ways to train and fight than my previous efforts. At some point I think everyone has to address the same issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to old corvus 41 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Trapper

Generally, if you want self defense in a matter of weeks, take Krav Maga or Boxing. If its tomorrow or something, start doing pushups. Simple = Good.

If you have a matter of months or years and are in no hurry, then you ought to expand your horizons and explore anything you want to.
The Following User Says Thank You to TSilant For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 PM

Do your research, then based on what you find, figure out which system you'd want your wife and kids to rely on.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM

Wrestling/grappling would be my first choice. You must prevent being taken down. BJJ is ok if you are in a BJJ tournament or MMA match, but in real life it's hard to defend getting headbutted in the face time after time or the person pounding the back of your head into the cement a few times while you're trying to set up a submission. You will be unconscious and bleeding badly before BJJ moves will work. Next would be any striking martial art to combine with grappling. You can be BJJ master but being on your back in a true street fight is to be one second away from death.