Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 07-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Waiting...Watching..

Thanked 2,592 Times in 973 Posts
Default Calling the land of the free

Advertise Here

Anyone fancy a bit of ebay resale (any ebay sellers?) to make a few bucks and save my family

Ebay sells the M61 60/40 filter adaptors that I need for 2 bucks but wont ship em over here. Cant buy em over here even though the masks were made here.

I will compensate above and beyond the call of duty

Bought the masks for $3 a pop unused in case that Katla volcano blows and spews poison and ash everywhere
Old 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Gas! Gas! Gas!

I have both the M40 (U.S.) and the M15 (Israeli)... both are good masks and both use the 40mm NATO canisters. The M40 is much higher quality and far more comfortable, but will be more expensive. The M15 is cheaper... I have the military version (there is also a civilian version)... and the canister will likely be expired when you get it. I'd recommend the M40 for overall functionality. You will need a few (at least one) extra canisters... and a good one can be a bit pricey. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luger View Post
Hi all, I want to get a good mask, but i do not have much money to spend. Any good mil surplus i can get cheap or what do you all recomend?
I got my family this one
https://www.mainemilitary.com/produc...idproduct=2303
and got 3 spare filters for each they came new surplus condition fit great
Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Young Adult

I heard that most NBC attacks are not affected by a gas mask as the substance can still touch the skin. Is this true?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggun View Post
I heard that most NBC attacks are not affected by a gas mask as the substance can still touch the skin. Is this true?
Nuclear, Biological and Chemical...

Each one has different protocols...research and learn how it impacts you and the reality of the equipment limitations...that is not to say that having the equipment isn't useful, there are some circumstances where where the equipment is valid, but most people don't know the limitations of their equipment.

Basic equipment is your mask, suit, gloves and boots. If all you have is a mask, you are risking exposure to through your skin.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Thanked 1,191 Times in 654 Posts

http://www.sperian.com/Products/Sper...site=/americas

^ very similar to what I personally have worn in 5000ppm Hydrogen Sulfide. You die at 600ppm. Trusted my life on it. Carbon fiber tank. Very nice and light weight. Nothing is getting past that. Positive pressure mask. Break of a seal and it blows.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Por la gloria!

Default Israeli Gas Mask with New Filters

Couldn't you just buy a surplus mask (for instance an Israeli M15) and then buy new 40mm filters, from http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/index.htm , for it?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM

For any British memebrs (or memebrs visiting Britain) I would really reccomend the s10 Gas Mask (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S10_NBC_Respirator). It seems to provide good comfort and a good field of vision. I bought mine second hand with a vacuum sealed filter. It came with an unsealed filter and I used that to do my exam revision when my hayfever was terrible!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:02 PM

Default 40 mm only

Stay away from the old Russian masks that make you look like an aardvark, they are dangerous. Stick with US and Israeli that use 40 mm filters. The rubber lasts a long time, but there are old ones out there that are starting to deteriorate. The filter is the key to it and you don't want an old one of those. Five years is about the maximum storage life, although there is a Scott Enforcement cartridge that comes sealed in an airtight foil package rated for ten years. Best price I've seen on those are from botachtactical.com, for $30. They used to be $20, but use their "stimulus" code to get 10% off. There are NBC suits around that will seal your body off from contaminants when combined with duct tape and rubber boots. The ones with a hood attached will seal with tape around the mask, but you have to use gloves with them, also tape sealed. Go for the nitrile rubber. You can wear tough gloves over them as any rubber is delicate. Don't use tyvek suits and expect NBC protection, at least use coated tyvek to block gases.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 PM
WoodsMan

i saw this a while back about gas mask if you dont mind me posting

http://www.history.com/videos/how-ga...gas-masks-work
Old 01-05-2013, 05:37 AM

I know this thread is older but check this site
http://www.nationalterroralert.com/gasmasks/
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Does anyone have any experience with the Israeli gas masks sold on Amazon? They seem like a good price, but I wonder about the usefulness and the ability to get cartridges for them outside of Amazon. (Supposedly they take the NATO filter?)

http://www.amazon.com/Israeli-Civili...words=gas+mask
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Target Shooter

NATO filters. So you can buy the new 3M filters and they fit.
I bought one for fun and it came new in the box. Never been used.
I put it on my face and went down the pool and there was no leakage of water. I know it is not a relevant test, but I wanted to see still...
Only thing I would be concerned is the seals around the eyes, water straw and the filter threads and the rubber "fatique" with the passing of time.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM

I recently got a Finnish M61. Decided to test it after checking the fit and seal was good. Even though I hadn't shaved. It kept out and filtered tear gas. Which is what I'm most concerned about, to be honest.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 PM

This is a video that really opened my eyes about the whole subject of prepping for any sort of chemical, biological, or nuclear threat.

The Following User Says Thank You to stabnshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabnshoot View Post
This is a video that really opened my eyes about the whole subject of prepping for any sort of chemical, biological, or nuclear threat.

Prepping for Chemical Warfare "GAS MASKS" short overview - YouTube
Great video, I am of the same opinion.

I look at this way; people work with hazardous materials every day and they are closely regulated by OSHA standards. The gear works, of that there is no dispute. You would never see a HAZMAT team walk into a cleanup using military surplus cans. Would you?

I'm about to pickup a new PBA, and it looks like you can get good, current, certified gear in the $120-$150 and up. You can also get multiple cannisters (there is no one size fits cannister for all threats).

Just wondering if anyone has one they prefer (3M?) that fits well and you like.