Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Grain of sand

Thanked 6,592 Times in 1,901 Posts
Exclamation Swanson Health Products on Amazon ripped us off!

Advertise Here

UPDATE:

I got a phone call from Swanson Health Products today. A manager called me and wanted to make things right on both ends. Although the listing said it was for a case of 12 and I bought 5 cases, the manager thought I was only shorted 7 cans. I told her I would be alright with that or with a partial refund. She opted for sending the cans because that is what her manager suggested. That means that I paid around $2.20 per can for organic tomatoes if I don't get any more dented ones. That is what I normally spend on a large can of tomatoes so I'm cool with it now.

Last edited by Gypsymoonfarm; 01-10-2013 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Eating Humble Pie?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gypsymoonfarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Prepared

To be fair, you obviously tried to cash in on an obvious pricing mistake. $3.50 for (12) cans when 1 can sells for the same price everywhere else?
They should make it right by providing the product or a refund. If they don't then amazon will.
But hanging a company out to dry because you feel that you got "ripped off", when in fact you were unsuccessful in taking advantage of the company is also wrong.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,226 Times in 1,172 Posts

I had a similar experience with a seller on Amazon, trying to sell case lots = single cans.

Amazon got me a refund of my price paid but did not get me additional product, because the seller took down their listing.

Sometimes these sellers will then come back to Amazon under a different name immediately after they take down their listing that generated complaints. It can be a real problem....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShaynaGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 03:17 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 9,010 Times in 3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinight View Post
To be fair, you obviously tried to cash in on an obvious pricing mistake. $3.50 for (12) cans when 1 can sells for the same price everywhere else?
They should make it right by providing the product or a refund. If they don't then amazon will.
But hanging a company out to dry because you feel that you got "ripped off", when in fact you were unsuccessful in taking advantage of the company is also wrong.
If they are advertising it at a specific price, I really don't give a damn. They need to have enough honor to follow through with their advertised price and then make the change after they've paid for their mistake. Every other company on the planet does it. I've purchased merchandise both at the store and online at a reduced price. One time, I ordered a rifle from a local armory that was at a reduced price and they honored it. I got a $700 rifle for under $400. They didn't whine about it like a baby, they laughed it off and said I got a good deal and to be happy because it was the last one at the reduced price. I have purchased two more weapons from them since then because of them honoring their mistake.

Good business ethics and good customer service means not being a whiner and screwing people without even a call or explanation (which is what his seller did). If they would have had enough respect for their customer and given them a call, I'm sure the customer would have been happy to cancel the order. Instead, they took the bonehead approach and processed the order and sent the wrong merchandise.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Grain of sand

Quote:
I feel that paying $22 for 5 cans of tomatoes a rip off. If you don't then you have a different idea of grocery shopping than I do. I have rarely shopped on Amazon, maybe a handful of times. The listing was posted here by another member and it was in the clearance section. I was not trying to take advantage of anyone, just a good deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsymoonfarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Grain of sand

Quote:
Is is also O.K. that they sent people dented cans? How is that right? I get where you are coming from and I am fully happy with just a partial refund but sending several people dented cans and not advertising that is bad business. It's dangerous.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:38 PM
Get off my ice.

Thanked 33,306 Times in 8,356 Posts

After reading this I definitely won't be purchasing anything from Swanson Health Products.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve28 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by America's Patriot View Post
If they are advertising it at a specific price, I really don't give a damn. They need to have enough honor to follow through with their advertised price and then make the change after they've paid for their mistake. Every other company on the planet does it. I've purchased merchandise both at the store and online at a reduced price. One time, I ordered a rifle from a local armory that was at a reduced price and they honored it. I got a $700 rifle for under $400. They didn't whine about it like a baby, they laughed it off and said I got a good deal and to be happy because it was the last one at the reduced price. I have purchased two more weapons from them since then because of them honoring their mistake.

Good business ethics and good customer service means not being a whiner and screwing people without even a call or explanation (which is what his seller did). If they would have had enough respect for their customer and given them a call, I'm sure the customer would have been happy to cancel the order. Instead, they took the bonehead approach and processed the order and sent the wrong merchandise.
Good business ethics dictate that you honor the price publicized or refund the money with an explanation, even if it was a screw up not on your part. Customers will forgive an honest screw up if promptly and clearly explained, but they will crucify you forever if they feel you are jerking them around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermit Jax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Tired of you people

Thanked 11,227 Times in 4,256 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Amazon has great customer service, can you not return for a refund?
The Following User Says Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Hiker

That really stinks and I hope you get a refund. I got some candles from there that were advertised as "10 hour candles" 14 dollars for 24 seemed to good to be true. No matter what I did (different holders) I could not get them to burn for more than about 3.5 hours.

I think Amazon needs to do a better job of not letting the scammers to sell there. It is very irritating when the way they word things makes a product seem better than it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to OregonKevin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM
I survive on Hate.

No offense, but having worked at an Amazon Distribution Center, you have NO clue what goes on. The vast amount of product sold by Amazon pretty much ensures they cannot check each product for validity. As a picker, I picked 120+ items an hour, for 10 hours straight. And that was me alone. There were about 400 other pickers at any given time as well. Now just imagine the sheer amount of product that goes out each hour from just one DC. Not to mention, many people simply sell through Amazon, the only thing Amazon does is process and ship the item, they have no business with it otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Heathen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Gummint Troll

Thanked 4,264 Times in 2,029 Posts

I'm guessing they sold them per case without specifying how many were in a case? "Yes, they come three cans per case, what the ad didn't say that?"

I've had nothing but good luck wi Amazon itself, even the problems (usually the fault of third-party vendors) and continue to deal with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to works4dhs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Dismember

Amazon doesn't ship everything. Some sellers ship their own. And we do our own listings, so I doubt it's an Amazon mistake.

If there are a more than a few complaints, bye bye seller. If they come back, they have zero feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to woozy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 05:06 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 9,010 Times in 3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Jax View Post
Good business ethics dictate that you honor the price publicized or refund the money with an explanation, even if it was a screw up not on your part. Customers will forgive an honest screw up if promptly and clearly explained, but they will crucify you forever if they feel you are jerking them around.
Isn't that what I said? Not so eloquently of course... HAHA
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
no one

Thanked 2,448 Times in 744 Posts

the ad said 12/28 oz cans you would think this meant 12 quantity 28 oz size of cans. Yes this appeared to be a great buy, but I can get 28 oz cans for $1 or sometimes 85cents n my local grocery I would never order them for $4 each and yes mine were dented too. I emailed the supplier and they also blamed it on Amazon. I then asked amazon for a return/refund have not heard back on that one. I will spend the 6.00 to send them back rather than keep dented, overpriced cans. I never buy dented cans for storage. Anyway it is a lesson learned not to believe the special discount prices advertised as they are probably not right.
The Following User Says Thank You to orangenomad For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Grain of sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by works4dhs View Post
I'm guessing they sold them per case without specifying how many were in a case? "Yes, they come three cans per case, what the ad didn't say that?"

I've had nothing but good luck wi Amazon itself, even the problems (usually the fault of third-party vendors) and continue to deal with them.
The listing clearly stated 12X28 oz cans for 3.99 per case. I don't think Amazon did the shipping because the label was from the company Swanson.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Prepared

Most likely if the dealer does not respond to resolve the complaint, Amazon will refund you and you will not have to send the product back.
This happened with an item I received damaged in shipping, but the seller never responded.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 PM

I've picked up some screaming hot deals on Amazon clearance sales and would not immediately suspect that something so inexpensive in the CLEARANCE SECTION was an error. I would've ordered too if I had seen the deal. I've purchased many items for pennies on the dollar with no problems at all. When I've made mistakes on my listings I pulled up my big girl panties and fulfilled the order, and I would expect other sellers to do the same. Boo to you, Swanson!
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdonnald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 AM
no one

Thanked 2,448 Times in 744 Posts

Swanson offered me a refund just return the item with the postage paid label that is what I am doing. Let's see how long it takes to get the refund before we get too upset.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Grain of sand

I chalked it up to lesson learned. Tossed the dented and put the others on the shelf. I won't be making that mistake twice.