Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcArthur View Post
Obama's kids have asthma too. Get a hypoallergenic dog then. the Portuguese Water Dog and the Poodle are the two that come to mind immediately.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/portuguesewaterdog.htm
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/standardpoodle.htm

Odds are if you kids have breathing problems it is because they DIDN'T have a dog when they were younger.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/06/2...s-asthma-free/

http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/1...rom-allergies/

I wonder if a Thai ridge back is hypo?
The Following User Says Thank You to steffen801 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM

Thanks I am going to get armor concepts one this weekend
The Following User Says Thank You to nicksti For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Any Time, Any Place

Thanked 1,738 Times in 772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayray View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

I would like a dog, but my 9yr old son has asthma so wifey wont go for it. I have installed 9 motion activated flood lights around the perimeter, and a security screen over the back door. I even bought a .38 for my wife, but honestly i doubt she would use it. I just feel like shes a sitting duck when im away and worse since she has 3 little liabilities running around distracting her. Ive taken her to the range 6 times, and im teaching my oldest son how to shoot his junior .22LR

Is there any other gadget or door modification out there that can effectively reinforce the front door?
Get a Labradoodle Labrador/Poodle cross or a standard poodle they are safe for people with allergies and asthsma, my nieghbor breeds them. They are smart and very teritorial making them good guard dogs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 AM

Hey reyrey, I would like to suggest you to go for a combination of steel security door and security alarm. Security door prevents the entry of any unwanted guest and if there is any threat from any other side of the home then security alarm can notify this to you. All the best!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to dialdoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

200+ lbs of rottweiler

In the '80's we lived in a cul-de-sac with 13 houses. 12 others were robbed (the police told us the thieves used ether). Ours was not. we were the only ones with a dog (125 lb rottie). btw they are absolutely great with children and will protect them as their own litter.

get two dogs, one male and one female. spay and neuter both. The males can get aggressive and don't know they will lose a dominance contest with your wife (even if they're bigger) (been there, done that). Neutering the male will prevent such nonsense. Spay the female to prevent more litters from strays (just in case).
Old 01-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Sped Man

Thanked 2,400 Times in 759 Posts

This is what I leave home with my wife and kids when I was at work.

Most criminals know what these dogs are capable of. Hence they won't even consider walking into your home. I got mine from a breeder. His dogs were very calm and friendly. My dogs are the same way. Be very careful when buying don't buy two of the same sex. They will end up killing each other. Boy girl is the way to go.

Prior to my dogs my mother in law use to live with us. Most neighbors were scared of her. I don't know why...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sped Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 PM
You never let me down...

Thanked 6,949 Times in 1,866 Posts

Sped Man,

The dog in the back appears to be the offspring of the front two. Is that accurate?
Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 AM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,514 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sped Man View Post
This is what I leave home with my wife and kids when I was at work.

Most criminals know what these dogs are capable of. Hence they won't even consider walking into your home. I got mine from a breeder. His dogs were very calm and friendly. My dogs are the same way. Be very careful when buying don't buy two of the same sex. They will end up killing each other. Boy girl is the way to go.

Prior to my dogs my mother in law use to live with us. Most neighbors were scared of her. I don't know why...
wait so they will kill each other if the are the same sex...??? is there a third sex?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Tactical disadvantage

What's the best way to secure patio doors?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:53 AM

To secure a patio door there is a couple of things you can do.

If you have two sliding doors secures one with scress to the framing member so it will not move. Then on the movable door place some concrete door in the overhead space so the door can't be jimmied up and out. The use a length of closet pole to form a for block so the door can't be pushed open. The pole should be placed in the track for best results. Security film on the inside of the door will prevent the glass from shattering and leaving a huge gapping hole for entry. There are probably other ways to secure a sliding pation doors, but this is what I use. Between this and my dogs no one really comes into my backyeard

I did that at my house. Another added measure is that I believe in the Buddist method of dog security. I have three dogs: a 30# mixed breed neurotic female who alerts the other two. A giant breed of dog a Japanaes Torsa (180#male) and a Neopolatian Mastiff (150#male). A couple of sheriff deputies came into the yard in search of a bulgary suspect. They had them treed and where about to shoot the dogs when I came out with my piece to see what the disturbance was. Since that time when anyone wants to get into my back yard they ring my doorbell.

By the way the Torsa is not for the faint of heart they do need a firm hand and a large feeding bowl. Both of the males will come to investigate when the female alerts to a problem. At one time I did have holes cut into my fence so the dogs could look out and see the world but the world was intimidated by the dogs. Now they just look over the top of the fence. The hop to see what is out there. It's really funny to see the big guys doing it.

There is nothing like a staunch dog to deter intruders.
The Following User Says Thank You to Namwalker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 AM
Redneck-xican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namwalker View Post
There is nothing like a staunch dog to deter intruders.
I second this...I have a 75 lb. Shepard who seems to think the best place to sleep is 10 feet from the front gate..no matter what the weather is. Between him and the nosy neighbor across the street...I feel good about going to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to JR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
I second this...I have a 75 lb. Shepard who seems to think the best place to sleep is 10 feet from the front gate..no matter what the weather is. Between him and the nosy neighbor across the street...I feel good about going to work.
Actually I have no problem with a nosy neighbor. A lot of my neighbors do, but I don't. I think that they are also part of what we all call situational awareness, and there is nothing wrong with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Namwalker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 PM

Im taking my wife, her father and our oldest son to the range 3 times next week. My wife actually asked me to do it!

Her father told her the story about how her uncle's neighbor (in the well-to-do Orange County, California), who we know, just put 5 holes in an intruder. Turns out the woman was at home alone with her young twins at night and some guy kicked down the front door. The woman grabbed the kids and ran into the panic room. As the intruder tried to bust in the woman got on her cell phone with her husband who gave her the condifdence to shoot the villain dead. This was one of my training scenarios, and wifey thought I was paranoid before. Now, she feels unprepared unless we train for the next few weeks.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:56 PM
PPG flyer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,142 Posts

Sand bags and razor wire.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 7,039 Times in 2,430 Posts

Better screen door locks so the door can't be ripped open with a forceful tug on the handle.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,874 Times in 4,172 Posts

I still say a working camera is a better deturrant .no one intending to do wrong ,want's their picture taken in the act .
Motion sensor lights go a long ways in prevention .
I was at costco ,they have a motion sensor light/camera that tracks and the security camera is wired into your computer . It fallows you walking past it .
If you can't be home 24/7 you need something that makes it seem as though your home 24/7 .
If some perp is planning an invasion , he will find a way around any security .
I have several different planns for my comming home ,
in the event of ,,,
several different senarios are carefully studdied .
That way from the extirrior I can assess the goings on and make proper moves to secure the situation .
Having no plan ,one cannot provide external defences only you know about .
Ideally you know your own house and the rutines of the others living with you . if this is broken you know something is a miss .
I leave spicific lights on before I leave ,and should I see other lights on which are all automatic motion sensor operated inside the house . I know something is going on . I don't blindly drive up on my place living alone in farm country .
I don't have to wait for an insadent to learn to be cautious .
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM

Someone mentioned steel door frames - does anyone have these? How much do they run? I can definately attest to the frame being a huge weak point, my husband has kicked in our door and left not even a ding in the door, but the door frame busted right in half, with just one kick.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,016 Times in 606 Posts

If you don't worry about beauty - get commercial steel door with steel frame. Door should be 16 gage, frame 12 gage thick steel. You can get one for about $1500. This would be for a plain door with no locksets (those would cost about $350 minimum, by Schlage).
Old 01-15-2013, 03:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,443 Times in 974 Posts

Before you invest in big doors and locking windows if someone wants in they will get in. rock to window so unless you plan on putting bars on all the windows upper and lower and a big steel door (the back door is normally glass) You can't really do allot. However if you have lights well groomed lawn ie no big bushes to hide easy to see from the street they will most likely pick an easier house that is hard to see form the street. You can add cameras and a big dog that would be the best bet.

I looked at it this way I can only slow them down I can't stop anyone because they can just cut through walls but if they can see my house easy that means other people can see it easy makeing an easy escape hard. They can't go out the back unless they want to climb a 12 ft wall with a 12 ft fence on top.

Now I have a coker spaniel I would recomend a fully trained long hair sheperd they're super strong 1 of them draged me 5 ft to get at a person that approached it in guard mode and I'm 6 ft 3 and 280lbs and I was leaning back and I was leaveing tread marks on the pavment. She trained the dogs to gaurd the person thats holding them they sit in front they're in gaurd mode. Her house was only broken into when she took the dogs with her. someone did break in and there was blood everywhere not the dogs the person that broke in broken window blood no more problem. My coker likes to defend the home and tends to bite and bark he can be super aggresive and he looks so cute so it's funny sometimes but we knew he had problems before getting him but he's super fast can catch people dumb as a rock and barks and bites anyone that trys to go inside the house unless you make him stop before they enter.

I did put a camera system in that I can speak out at so if someone walks by I can go hey you bugger off. I can also do it through a cell phone hey you get away from my car. Or hey what you think your doing. It worked well with the average joe break into your car or steal anythig not nailed down.