Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > Religious Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Who's that?

Default Hmong Shamanism

Advertise Here

Anyone know anything about Hmong Shamanism? I work security at a health clinic and while patroling the parking lot I found what I think is some kind of charm/hex/offering, hanging on the fence.

It was 3 small water bottles in a row tied to the fence with string. The left most one had water in it, the middle had rice, the last had what looked like the remains of a chicken (?) leg, mostly bone, but some meat left, including the foot.

The neiborhood has a large Hmong population, that and the rice made me think it's them. And it "felt" asian, if you know what I mean.

I left it for a few days but someone in admin saw it and made me remove it. After all we must be tolerant of other cultures, unless what they do is weird, or creepy or icky, all things I heard when being asked to remove it. (mini rant off) I cut it down as respectfully as possible, asking for understanding from whatever being/spirit this may have been placed for. I don't need an angry Hmong spirit chasing me around for being an unintentional jerk.

Just wondering if any of you knows anything about Hmong pratices or this kind of offering or charm or shamanism, or whatever. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Some White Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,125 Times in 1,686 Posts

Interesting.
Thanks for the post, I have nothing significant to add, sorry.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,398 Posts

best advice i can give, if some supernatural spirit smites you, you will be the first in recorded history.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 24,047 Times in 8,197 Posts

Personally, I have no idea. But I bet if you reposted in the Pagan Sanctuary you might have better luck getting an answer. http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...agan+sanctuary
Old 01-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Who's that?

I'll give it bit of time here, then repost it in pagan sanctuary. I feel like by posting everything in the PS or the heathen thread that I'm hiding or something. Like we all have this whole big house to stay in, but because I think different than the majority of people I should stay in one little room. Get my meaning? It is the religious section, not the christain section, after all.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Some White Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Prepared

Not Hmong specific, but when in I lived in Taiwan, there were always offerings left for ghosts. Rice and chicken (chicken feet are a delicacy there....) The water I don't know about. Could it have been rice alcohol (it's also crystal clear)
Did a Hmong die there?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corsican For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Who's that?

No one has died there. If someone is in real bad shape we get an ambulance and get them to a hosptal ASAP. Now that I think about it though we did call an ambulance for an old hmong woman shortly before I found these. I don't know what was wrong with her, but the rig took off right after loading her up with lights and siren going.

Probably not alcohol, it was frozen, and the temp was in the low f20's, so not that cold.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Busy infidelin'

Thanked 11,285 Times in 4,057 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Dude, you just stole a homeless mans cache of preps. He was trying to be gray and it worked for a while. Now he is gonna go hungry tonight. Meannie...
Old 01-09-2013, 07:42 AM
New Days New Tribes

Don't have any Hmong around here that I know of, But I'm reminded of that Clint Eastwood movie 'Gran Torino' in which he plays an old white guy who's none too happy that his street is becoming a Hmong enclave. He mellows after a while, visits the neighbours and gets a reading or some such from a Hmong shaman.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:38 AM
His Name is Tyler Danann

Location: Variable. Prison Island, European Sektor plus elsewhere...
Thanked 10,089 Times in 2,527 Posts

You get this kind of thing all over once Asia until you hit the muslim / Christian / Orthodox parts of the world.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Trapper

I have watched enough episodes of Supernatural to know you gonna die. Probably in some horrible, awful fashion. Your only hope is some rock salt, hair from a mangy dog, and three drops of blood/spit/urine from a 21 year old female virgin. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Who's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhound View Post
I have watched enough episodes of Supernatural to know you gonna die. Probably in some horrible, awful fashion. Your only hope is some rock salt, hair from a mangy dog, and three drops of blood/spit/urine from a 21 year old female virgin. Good luck.
Ok, just need to find some rock salt.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhound View Post
stop lyin. we all know virgins are a myth
Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,154 Times in 1,447 Posts

personally id carry some holy water next to my .357 loaded with silver tipped bullets
Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Love G-D. Love Neighbor.

Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some White Guy View Post
Anyone know anything about Hmong Shamanism? I work security at a health clinic and while patroling the parking lot I found what I think is some kind of charm/hex/offering, hanging on the fence.

It was 3 small water bottles in a row tied to the fence with string. The left most one had water in it, the middle had rice, the last had what looked like the remains of a chicken (?) leg, mostly bone, but some meat left, including the foot.

The neiborhood has a large Hmong population, that and the rice made me think it's them. And it "felt" asian, if you know what I mean.

I left it for a few days but someone in admin saw it and made me remove it. After all we must be tolerant of other cultures, unless what they do is weird, or creepy or icky, all things I heard when being asked to remove it. (mini rant off) I cut it down as respectfully as possible, asking for understanding from whatever being/spirit this may have been placed for. I don't need an angry Hmong spirit chasing me around for being an unintentional jerk.

Just wondering if any of you knows anything about Hmong pratices or this kind of offering or charm or shamanism, or whatever. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Spoke with a Cambodian Buddhist (we both sit on an interfaith board) that that is somewhat familiar with Hmong practices. It is most likely an offering to appease an upset spirit or just to honor a non-upset one. As long as you showed respect you should be fine. If you start feeling ill there are cleansing rituals you can do to appease any ticked off spirit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to survivalminister For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxMilitia View Post
stop lyin. we all know virgins are a myth
Along with unicorns, elves, and the female orgasm.
The Following User Says Thank You to moodyhound For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Prepared

I think it is put there for protection/healt of a person inside.
You should not worry about removing it respectfuly your intention was good whit leaving it there for a while.

Rolf
The Following User Says Thank You to Rolf from Holland For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Prepared

I'd start here:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Hmong+S...MOZSBR&pc=MOZI
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,321 Times in 2,664 Posts

The Hmong believe that during health related issues the deceased ancestors linger around the family. Someone with different issues, say a post partum Mother from a different family could not visit the ill person, because she too will have ancestors around her. It is taboo to bring two spirit families together.

Instead the post partum mother will leave an offering to the spirits at a safe distance, so not to anger anyone but to give concern.

Likely there is someone in your building of Hmong decent that has become ill, and is surrounded by their deceased ancestors, another person is concerned, but is forbidden to make contact, so made an offering to the spirits.

Warm water, rice and chicken is a common offering. It's food to feed the soul.
There are other scenario's too, but I assumed because you work at a clinic it involved health.
Hmong don't practice any particular religion, they look to their ancestors for guidance.

Don't worry, you're not cursed. Their buisness is between family.