Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 AM

Default EDC Balisong Legality

Advertise Here

I live in Kentucky, and to my knowledge there's no set 'illegal' blade length for a pocket knife. I know switchblades are illegal or at least heavily frowned upon, but I haven't been able to find anything about balisongs/butterfly knives.

I've been into balisong flipping for a while, and recently I was at a knife shop and the Benchmade Mangus and Mini-morpho caught my eye as potentially good edc knives with their smaller size, and of course I'd always have something on me to play with.

Does anyone know of the legalities about carrying a balisong in KY?
The Following User Says Thank You to ethanbolin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Don't Tread On Me

Yea it's not legal to carry one without a ccw permit. Also it does not meet the legal term hunting knife or pocket knife in the Kentucky deadly weapons statute so don't get caught with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ridgebuggy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Just keepin' it real

Thanked 9,587 Times in 3,387 Posts

Get a good pocket folder that is legal.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Vigilant

Thanked 5,084 Times in 1,902 Posts

I still can't figure out what the impetus was, for outlawing butterfly knives to begin with... Are they somehow more potentially lethal? Or is it to prevent self defense with flourish and style? I just don't get it...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karnus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnus View Post
I still can't figure out what the impetus was, for outlawing butterfly knives to begin with... Are they somehow more potentially lethal? Or is it to prevent self defense with flourish and style? I just don't get it...
Are you trying to understand the laws made by the same people who think that if a magazine only hold "10" or less rounds it's safer?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to someonejo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,198 Times in 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanbolin View Post
I live in Kentucky, and to my knowledge there's no set 'illegal' blade length for a pocket knife. I know switchblades are illegal or at least heavily frowned upon, but I haven't been able to find anything about balisongs/butterfly knives.

I've been into balisong flipping for a while, and recently I was at a knife shop and the Benchmade Mangus and Mini-morpho caught my eye as potentially good edc knives with their smaller size, and of course I'd always have something on me to play with.

Does anyone know of the legalities about carrying a balisong in KY?
Face it, mate. All you really want is a toy to carry to play "Rambo" with and scare people. There are many other knife designs for everyday carry so get smart and pick from them.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Face it, mate. All you really want is a toy to carry to play "Rambo" with and scare people. There are many other knife designs for everyday carry so get smart and pick from them.
No sir, if I wanted to play Rambo I'd tie my shirt around my head and walk around with explosive tipped arrows, but thank you for being an ass.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ethanbolin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
No sir, if I wanted to play Rambo I'd tie my shirt around my head and walk around with explosive tipped arrows, but thank you for being an ass.
Truth does not make one "an ass" at all.

It's just the truth and judging from your reaction I'd say my post was spot on!

Pick a different knife for your EDC and avoid any confrontations with the local LEO's.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 PM
DS Prez for life...

Thanked 35,051 Times in 11,942 Posts

Quote:
I see ya met "Pipes".
The Following User Says Thank You to POPPALUV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,695 Times in 5,233 Posts

Balisong or not If you are going to buy it to play with the thing you also need to look at brandishing a weapon laws.
The Following User Says Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Face it, mate. All you really want is a toy to carry to play "Rambo" with and scare people. There are many other (knife) designs for everyday carry so get smart and pick from them.
The problem here is if you substitute the word knife with weapon who does that sound like?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to THUNDERMAN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Just reboot 3 times...

Thanked 1,993 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnus View Post
Autos and even assisted are much faster deployment, heck, even a well designed thumbstud or Spydie hole type knife using good washers is as fast as an auto. I never have understood it either. Balisongs carry there rep on their sleeve, is all I can figure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tricky48 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 AM
Just reboot 3 times...

Quote:
Truth does not make one "an ass" at all.

It's just the truth and judging from your reaction I'd say my post was spot on!

Pick a different knife for your EDC and avoid any confrontations with the local LEO's.
Curious, have you used one a lot?

They do have a good nervous energy release to them. And I like to open and close my EDC whenever I am standing somewhere waiting on something as well, just not when people are around who would be concerned by that action. Mostly for practice, but also to give my hands something to do. I don't think to many people who come to this site that enjoy flipping would have the desire to scare the average person.
The Following User Says Thank You to tricky48 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Just reboot 3 times...

Quote:
I LOLed.

Have you looked into the spydie Baliyo for the option of having something to flip?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky48 View Post
Curious, have you used one a lot?

They do have a good nervous energy release to them. And I like to open and close my EDC whenever I am standing somewhere waiting on something as well, just not when people are around who would be concerned by that action. Mostly for practice, but also to give my hands something to do. I don't think to many people who come to this site that enjoy flipping would have the desire to scare the average person.
Nervous energy also leads to denial of your bad habits.

Have you ever had to explain your "flipping" to an LEO?

If not that could be a trip you'd want to avoid.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Just reboot 3 times...

I was just pointing out that the idea that I would be doing that in front of anyone that would be bothered by it is effectively nil. You are assuming that the OP would just whip it out willy nilly.

Of course if it is to troll, then troll away.

But if you are seriously coming to the judgement that he is wanting to impress random folks with his bad-a**ery due to the fact that he likes a balisong and the skill and motions involved in using it, then you are kind of jumping the gun, with all due respect.
The Following User Says Thank You to tricky48 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
and of course I'd always have something on me to play with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky48 View Post
I was just pointing out that the idea that I would be doing that in front of anyone that would be bothered by it is effectively nil. You are assuming that the OP would just whip it out willy nilly.

Of course if it is to troll, then troll away.

But if you are seriously coming to the judgement that he is wanting to impress random folks with his bad-a**ery due to the fact that he likes a balisong and the skill and motions involved in using it, then you are kind of jumping the gun, with all due respect.
The OP stated that the knife would be a toy to play with.

The "butterfly" knife is very addictive when it comes to "flipping" it so that means it would be normal to flip at the wrong time at the wrong place and with the wrong people watching out of habit.

Calling someone a troll is very bad manners since that is a low life comment when you got nothing else constructive to say.

If the OP wants a butterfly knife to play with at home great! As long as he's smart enough to leave it at home and not carry it to impress his buddies.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Survivus most anythingus

Thanked 4,448 Times in 1,995 Posts

Quote:
The sad thing about the Balisong being targeted by law enforcement is the fact that it is one of the strongest and safest folding knife designs you could ever want. Properly made, it's safe in the pocket closed because it has a metal sheath, the handles. Properly made, it's safe when opened even when it is not locked because both of your hands are wrapped around the handles and it cannot fold on your fingers. Steel pins inserted and peened or newer excellent screws like you see on the Benchmades, these knives are incredible as well as being capable of being opened one handed in an emergency and basically unbreakable unless you purposely set out to do so in which case you get what you deserve.

That's what Balisong owners know to be a fact and that's why we casually dismiss "Rambo" and other smelly horse-**** like you posted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DBR For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,088 Times in 963 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post Outstanding Gear Review 
Total Awards: 2

I rarely post seriously terrible advice (at least while sober)....

Buy one and carry it, I used to EDC one at about your age, it was fast, kept my friends in awe and really didnt fit into "casual use" I never asked anyone if it was legal, and the police gave it back the one time I was brought to my dads house in the "car".....

Im not that old, so save the times have changed.... Im 30

With that said, I carry a swiss army knife, not because I am less "bad***" but because it is about 300 times more useful.... If I wanted to look bad***...I would CCW my PLR-16
Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 AM
Just reboot 3 times...

Quote:
The OP stated that the knife would be a toy to play with.

The "butterfly" knife is very addictive when it comes to "flipping" it so that means it would be normal to flip at the wrong time at the wrong place and with the wrong people watching out of habit.

Calling someone a troll is very bad manners since that is a low life comment when you got nothing else constructive to say.

If the OP wants a butterfly knife to play with at home great! As long as he's smart enough to leave it at home and not carry it to impress his buddies.
1. You selectively quoted the part of the sentence that mattered to you the most, regardless of his first reason as wanting it as an EDC (which, iIrc, in English language sentence structure, the first reason holds priority), and used that as a basis for jumping to an assumption (him being Rambo-ish) that was, frankly, and to paraphrase yourself, bad manners and a low life comment that represented you had nothing constructive to say. Then you spoke about habitual flipping as if you had come to that conclusion from experience. Have you owned one and flipped it at the wrong time trying to impress your buddies and ended up either in jail, fined, or minus a ballisong due to LEOs taking it from you because you weren't disciplined enough to stop yourself? If not, then why would you make such an assertion?

2. I did not, sir, call you a troll. I was simply suggesting that if you were then to go ahead and troll away, with the underlying thought that no amount of reason, logic, or civility would get anything constructive out of you if it were true. If I had, however, called you one, how would that differ from the way you treated the OP?

3. Lastly, again, you assume that he would carry it and then be "flippant" with the flipping, in a sense. You are judging his ability to use common sense based solely on his desire to own and use a knife that has been, as stated above, proven to be a sturdy and safe design if used by a conscientious, skilled user. What has the OP done or said, again, other than desiring to carry a ballisong, to give you the impression of being a Rambo?

Personally, I don't know the OP and have no reason to feel one way or the other. Your comments did incite a desire to inquire upon your reasoning for them in my mind. Maybe it is just a differing personality, but I tend to give someone who is actually trying to discover the legality status and the reasons for that status the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you just assume everyone is trying to "impress their buddies" if they carry a knife you find not to your taste? Maybe not, as that is just my assumption, trying to find the reason for your belittling of the OP when he had not said anything negative to you (yet) in this thread. Either way, have a good day, or evening, whichever it is that you are experiencing when you read this.