Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Thanked 37,827 Times in 12,719 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savinkov View Post
Is there ANY reason to use a pressure canner OTHER than to can stuff that has a pH
high enough to allow deadly Obama-voters to grow in there?????

I mean, aren't apricots acid enough to *not* NEED a pressure canner?

Or something...
I thought the acidic foods like tomatoes needed the pressure??? Then again, I can count the times I've canned on my hand...
The Following User Says Thank You to POPPALUV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPALUV View Post
I thought the acidic foods like tomatoes needed the pressure??? Then again, I can count the times I've canned on my hand...
Nope. Foods that are acidic enough can be water-bath canned. This usually includes tomatoes, fruits, and pickles(because they're sitting in vinegar).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arnoldrew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Ahhh, it's the non-acidic ones that need the "good cook". That makes sense. I just have no memory anymore..
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM

I've been doing the "Stove Top" method for years with no ill effects. I wash the jars in the dishwasher, then put them into the oven @ 200. I pull them out one or two at a time. The lids go in a pot of boiling water. I do this for everything, including meat. I do "pre-cook" everything and it goes in the jars hot. I've had stuff 2-3 years and it was fine.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Farmer

Thanked 22,219 Times in 9,036 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

So many threads we see folks insisting that everyone must use a pressure-canner. And yet many of us use hot-water-bath too, just fine
Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Thanked 26,534 Times in 10,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPALUV View Post
Low acid equals high pH.

he was talking about the pH being too high. Low acid tomatoes have a high pH as do beans and many other vege.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Absolutely! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 29,990 Times in 13,204 Posts

ok not reading the whole thread...

Abs...

Apricots do not need to be pressure canned...

Hot Water bath is just boiling water 1 inch over the jars.... put jars in for 20 mins, then remove. Put next batch in...

I'm so sorry you went through this.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:17 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKraken View Post
ok not reading the whole thread...

Abs...

Apricots do not need to be pressure canned...

Hot Water bath is just boiling water 1 inch over the jars.... put jars in for 20 mins, then remove. Put next batch in...

I'm so sorry you went through this.
I only tried it for ****s & giggles. Plus the idea of prepping it all before I had to process.

I know it doesn't need it, I just thought it might nevertheless work. We don't have pressure canners here. I had no bloody idea.

Soup! I have apricot soup!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:53 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 29,990 Times in 13,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
I only tried it for ****s & giggles. Plus the idea of prepping it all before I had to process.

I know it doesn't need it, I just thought it might nevertheless work. We don't have pressure canners here. I had no bloody idea.

Soup! I have apricot soup!
OOOO no...

SYRUP...

When you open a jar, add SUGAR... like a cup to the contents in a pot...bring to a boil then add some dried fruits like prunes, figs, some dates...

turn off the heat...

It will be DIVINE over some ice cream or between layers in a pavlova.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 AM
None

Thanked 65,810 Times in 15,799 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

When I dehydrate canned peaches (from the #10 cans at the store), I take about a cup of the peach slices from the can, run them through the blender, add them back to the syrup from the can, and cook it down for a bit. I use that as a "peach syrup" for pancakes, biscuits, shortcakes, etc. So, you just canned yours first... Bring on the shortcakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 05:11 AM
One of YHVH's sheep

Thanked 21,710 Times in 8,585 Posts

I had trouble with my canner taking too long for the jiggler to start till I realized I somehow over looked the instructions to let steam escape from the canner for 10 minutes, before adding the jiggler.

Practice makes perfect.

Many families water bathed for many years, and did just fine, but they did not know about botulism and lucked out. Botulism is not such a big deal if you have access to a hospital, but itshtf...

I do let things slide sometimes, if the canner doesn't work right and pressurize. I will mark the jar with a N, showing me to boil the contents well before eating and I eat those jars now, not stock them for ifshtf.

Practice makes perfect. I would not give up on my 1st try. I prefer pressure canning to water bath. It is easier and uses way less water and energy. It also gives you the peace of mind that your food is safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vectorwoman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 05:23 AM
One of YHVH's sheep

Thanked 21,710 Times in 8,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
I hear what your sayin and there's no doubt in my mind what your sayin will work to a T and never kill the cat....I 've had jars seal with just hot water from the tap and your will "ping " just like they came out of the bath in fact I'm going to do my apple butter and rhubarb and squash just like you this yr

Thanks for the heads up
You will not kill harmful bacteria that way. apple butter and squash has a lot of sugar which adds to breeding bacteria.

Look up canning and botulism. I would not seal jars from just hot tap water.

Also it is not good to cook with hot tap water. The water coming from your hot water heater has many impurities in it. If you ever saw the gunk that comes out of a hot water heater when you have to drain it to replace it, you would see what I mean. It is quite gross. If a recipe calls for hot water, I always heat cold water on the stove. It takes longer but a whole lot cleaner.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Tell the truth, coward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorwoman View Post
You will not kill harmful bacteria that way. apple butter and squash has a lot of sugar which adds to breeding bacteria.

Look up canning and botulism. I would not seal jars from just hot tap water.

Also it is not good to cook with hot tap water. The water coming from your hot water heater has many impurities in it. If you ever saw the gunk that comes out of a hot water heater when you have to drain it to replace it, you would see what I mean. It is quite gross. If a recipe calls for hot water, I always heat cold water on the stove. It takes longer but a whole lot cleaner.
Well spotted - i didn't notice that apple butter (whatever it is) or squash. Certainly I've done stewed apple by overflow since adam was in short pants - but I've never even tried squash. Why would anybody want to preserve squash? That's crazy. They last half the winter anyway...

But I'm not using that pressure canner for fruit again. it's just too silly. and that ten minutes while you wait for your vent to steam - that's ten minutes the fruit inside has been boiling. Add the 10 mins or more getting it from boiling to pressure, and then the 10 mins at pressure and you have something that is being cooked at pressure for 30 mins - and that's before you take it off, and leave it to cool, still in the canner. For another how long?

It's too long.

I might have a shot at water- bath for the apricots next, see if I can get a result where the fruit still has some kind of texture. The problem with it is of course that 'half full floating at top of jar' thing that happens when you pack raw fruit.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKraken View Post
OOOO no...

SYRUP...

When you open a jar, add SUGAR... like a cup to the contents in a pot...bring to a boil then add some dried fruits like prunes, figs, some dates...

turn off the heat...

It will be DIVINE over some ice cream or between layers in a pavlova.

Now, THIS is true!!1 MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!