Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 01-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,749 Times in 6,703 Posts

Advertise Here

Its times like this I wish I had a rifle chambered in 357 magnum.

Instead of buying a bunch of different calibers, just focus on a couple.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post

I guess until I give this a little more thought I will just 'hold what I've got' as they saying goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to loltraktor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM

I left my entire supply of food/ammo/fuel and water at home back in CA when I left. I left it for my family (mom dad and sister) when I joined the military. Only recently have I actually been stockpiling and prepping again for my "new family" just me and the wife. So while I may have been prepping since I was 16, I'm now 21 and starting from almost scratch. I'm NOWHERE near where I need to be but I'm working on it. This panic buy things really starting to **** me off though. I just paid 340.00 for an SKS and almost te same for 1100 rounds for it. So now that everything's out of stock, I can still find 30-30 ammo and I still happen to have my Winchester with me.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM

All I can find is .357 sig and 22-250 locally. I have a 22-250 rifle and may pick up a .357 sig barrel for my glock 22. I already have 9mm barrel and 22 lr conversion I guess one more wont hurt.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Survivalist

Thanked 4,376 Times in 1,517 Posts

Yeah the 357/38 lever action has been on my list for a while but other things always jumped in front of it in order of importance.

It is now officially at the top of my list. Well, right behind another upper for my extra lower and a .22 conversion. And some powder and primers and projectiles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SCPigpen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,749 Times in 6,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2182 View Post
All I can find is .357 sig and 22-250 locally. I have a 22-250 rifle and may pick up a .357 sig barrel for my glock 22. I already have 9mm barrel and 22 lr conversion I guess one more wont hurt.
You just brought up an excellent point. And that is having barrels of different calibers. This is one of the things I have been thinking about with the 6.8 and 300 blackout.

Instead of stockpiling just 223/5.56mm, why not buy a 6.8 or 300 blackout upper receiver for the AR-15?

the issue with the 6.8 and 300 blackout is the cost of the ammunition.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Who is #1?

Thanked 1,887 Times in 842 Posts

I'm glad you made this post.
I looked around and you can get a Savage or Remington in .243 for 300 -400 dollars.
SAVAGEAXIS 243 SS, Remington 770.

Plenty of ammo still, great for hunting. I do have a question about reloading.
I read .243 is a necked down version of the .308 so let's say you scavenged
some spent .308/7.62, could you reload with that by adjusting the neck for the .243?
The Following User Says Thank You to Systematic Mechanic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Giggity

I've had .357 lever on my "wish list" as well as a revolver to match it. Love my Win 94 30-30 and still not having any trouble finding ammo. But I also reload so it's not a problem. I just buy for the brass. Also am reconsidering the .270 since that ammo seems to be plentiful around here. If I buy anything new right now, it's going to be a lever .357. Everything else on my wish list can wait till the dust settles and we see how things are. There were some other calibers I wanted to add but decided to put my funds into buying guns for calibers I already own. Since beginning a stock of any new caliber right now is going to be costly.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Learning

Thanked 3,528 Times in 1,807 Posts

Quote:

I am a gun collector and I use them as investments (at times) as well as for just in case...I used to think have lots of calibers in the hope I might find some ammo; but then I decided to get rid of the 8mm Mausers, the .303 Brit, the 7.62x54r, the 7.5 Swedish, and 7.62x29...and stick with .223, .308, and 9mm for my self defense weapons (along with 7.62x39) and 12 gauge for hunting and .44mag, .357, 22LR, and 30-30 for hobby.

That way I can buy here and there and obtain a pretty decent stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to Preacherboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 PM
1 Thessalonians 4:11

Thanks for starting this thread kev.

I had a bunch of different calibers before a couple of years ago and have started consolidating rather than trimming the herd. I would suggest someone looking to stock non-military calibers should start with the ones you mentioned in the OP, except for maybe the .45. I'm not sure how many people have those around...
.30-30, .243, or .270 are all great choices I think. Very common and capable rounds. Like someone posted earlier reloading is also a very good option. My favorite deer rifle is a 7mm-08 and I do like that I can neckdown .308 brass if necessary.

Also, the shelves at your Walmart were more full than the ones here. I was in there the day after Christmas and there was maybe 6-10 boxes of centerfire ammo in the case and no .22lr. All there was in any kind of quantity were some clays and upland shotgun loads.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,173 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
With demand outstripping supply at that rate, its going to take months, if not a year or more for prices to come back down.

That is "if" prices ever come back down.
i see demand staying at current levels for sometime, we also keep a few oddballs around such as 30/30 and .243 but strickly for game taking and we always keep plenty ammo for those.....last i looked wally had both these calibers along with 3006 instock although the shelves were looking mighty bare.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 20,531 Times in 6,707 Posts

Quote:

This is what I have tried to focus on. Having at least two of each of common caliber firearms. I say focus, but it happened more by blind luck than focus. 7.62x39, 30-06, 22LR, 9mm & 380.

Being in WV makes the 30-06 more than adequate for the larger game of the area. The SKS is also adequate.

I have also seen the quick depletion of ammo stock from most of the stores. Fortunately I began stocking up in the late 90s. My wife was recently in the right place at the right time, and scored 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for 223.00. I think that will be my last bulk ammo purchase.

I have been trying to lay in more 22LR, but as you said the supplies are sparse. A good method for ammo is to make it a point to pick up a small amount often rather than buying in bulk.

This has happened before, in 2008. I hope the rebound is as quick as it was then. I do however think that prices will continue to rise, or at least not drop at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenray View Post
Yea I've been thinking about picking up a 30-30 lever gun and more 12 guage ammo. But for now I'm gonna try to get a little more 223, then my next purchase is gonna be a lever action 30-30
During the last panic buying, just like now 30-30 was still easily available. Plus you can often find it in hardware stores and filling stations around here.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,333 Times in 1,870 Posts

One reason I cringe when people talk about selling their odd calibers and standardizing so every gun they own uses the same cartridge. I buy and make whatever I can whenever I can. If I find an orpahn box of ammo on somebody's shelf and the price is right and I have that gun at home it's coming home with me whether I need it or not. I have gone feast and famine on primers and powder for smokeless, took two years to get 2 boxes of 25-20 and I had ordered 4 but that's all my dealer could get. My other dealer got it in 3 months but only got one box. Same with my cap and ball, took 6 months to get balls for the 36, would have been quicker to get a mold. I'm set now with all 5 guns but for awhile there I could only shoot 1.

This is why I like the less popular rounds most people think of as to old fashioned. It isn't hard to get 32 Win spcl or 30-30 and they work as good today as they did a 100 years ago. Even better if I get there when they are stocking and they have cases to empty off the pallet. My toy dealer never seems to mind when I buy the whole case and even takes it out to the car for me.

Eventually supply will catch up with the demand and the demand will go down again as supply goes up. When it does I will go back to the stores but in the meantime if I can't find something to shoot then I must not be at home. No use fretting It's just like rush hour traffic, turn on the radio and lean back in the seat because it's gonna be awhile but nothing lasts forever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
You just brought up an excellent point. And that is having barrels of different calibers. This is one of the things I have been thinking about with the 6.8 and 300 blackout.

Instead of stockpiling just 223/5.56mm, why not buy a 6.8 or 300 blackout upper receiver for the AR-15?

the issue with the 6.8 and 300 blackout is the cost of the ammunition.
i was considering .338 federal upper for my armalite but now, with cost on the increase it would be very difficult to make it happen....the last year i spent much time scrounging componants and spares for my existing gear so that i could use the best of what i have on a much more regular basis for practice.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Prepared

To those who have posted to the effect of "if you haven't armed up by now, shame on you, you should have armed up sooner", please consider that everyone's situation is unique. I applaud you for being ready and not contributing to the buying spree, but there are probably many younger folks who can just now legally purchase weapons and ammo; they had no legal chance to stock up before. Or another example is my family's case. We recently returned from an overseas military assignment. Ammo is not something shippers will move under military PCS orders. I've begun rebuilding my stocks and have enough to wait out the current buying surge, but would still like a few more cans of ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to treepotater For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepotater View Post
To those who have posted to the effect of "if you haven't armed up by now, shame on you, you should have armed up sooner", please consider that everyone's situation is unique. I applaud you for being ready and not contributing to the buying spree, but there are probably many younger folks who can just now legally purchase weapons and ammo; they had no legal chance to stock up before. Or another example is my family's case. We recently returned from an overseas military assignment. Ammo is not something shippers will move under military PCS orders. I've begun rebuilding my stocks and have enough to wait out the current buying surge, but would still like a few more cans of ammo.
point taken, if it were me, i have noticed used winchester 94's available everywere....i think i would skip the semi-autos and go rite to the leverguns in 30/30 and start my prep there.....and a 357 or 44 mag lever/ revolver combo would be a sweet score about now.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 PM
End of the Roader

We had a gun show the day after Sandy Hook. Went to it, knowing I really didn't need diddly... there were numerous AR's, some as low as $600. Three large ammo dealers, with case after case of everything... at the same price they'd had at other gun shows all year. Picked up some XTP 44 mag, because it's just slightly more than what I can reload it for.

Gun show today, friends told me ammo was outrageous, if you could find it... all of the case lots were walking out the door... you snooze, you lose.

I pity those 'just' starting out. However, I have to wonder, did they decide to start prepping....just two weeks ago? Or, were they procrastinating? Three weeks ago (or a few days from whenever Sandy Hook happened), one could get anything they wanted, anywhere, with no lines.

I waited after O got elected in 2008, and got whatever I thought I might need in the future, along with lifetime supplies of ammo for them.

We keep a few extra calibers around here. Hunting rifles don't need to be fed 'case' lots. Tomorrow is the end of gun season, here, for white tails. Two deer in the freezer this year... two bullets out of 20, for the 300 winmag... A box could last ten years.

Add in reloading dies, for every caliber, primers, powder, projectiles, and bullet molds for several, could shoot for a long time.

Did succumb and put in some back orders on 4 different calibers of ammo, as a Christmas gift to myself.

Only 'panic' buying was a large back order on magazines...
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM
End of the Roader

IF I were just starting, I'd pass on any semi auto rifle, and get a bolt gun for hunting, and maybe a lever action for my 'assault' rifle.

A .44 mag pistol (super redhawk) and a .44 mag lever action rifle, and you can carry one box of ammo with you. There are no shortages on .44mag..... every online dealer I've looked at still has it available.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texican For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treepotater View Post
Where were you stationed where you were allowed to have ammo and weapons? I know you can't in Korea, and I'm pretty sure you can't in Germany.