Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > Religious Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM

Advertise Here

After all, mtnairkin, what would a Christian know, anyway. Why, we all know Christians only know about, you know, things a Christian would only know.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Thanked 33,085 Times in 13,901 Posts

My fellow Lonsman here -- feel free to me after

My mother kept Kosher for my first 10 - 12 years or so

Just plain torture

Couldn't have chocolate milk with my Hebrew National hot-dogs

No mayo - No pork

For a while I thought we might be Chinese with all the take-out they bought

Never saw a clam

What is this shrimp you speak of ---

To this day I still hate Halva

All meat was bought from "The Butcher" in town

And in my opinion --- NO TASTE

Then one day about 2 hours after dinner - my father said I'm taking the boy ( I hated that ) to the store with me ---

We went to this brand new place called McDonalds

That was the first of many times I heard --- "Don't tell your mother"

But -- I still like those "Big Crackers" as my wifey calls them and Gefilte fish

Μολών Λaβέ

Last edited by Ricekila; 01-04-2013 at 11:41 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunryu View Post
There is the Buddhist philosophy and the Buddhist religion (Buddhism) that grew out of the philosophy.

Some think that Buddhists are vegetarians and that is true for some. The idea was reasoned into the religion. But, as legend tells us, the Buddha died from eating bad pork so he definitely wasn't a vegetarian. Also, the Dalai Lama eats meat (at least once a week, IIRC, on his doctor's orders for his specific health issues). When asked about this his reply was that he is a monk not a vegetarian.

Other than that, I think the Buddhist diet is the local diet unless the Buddhist also happens to be a vegetarian.
I am not a Buddhist, but have had discussions with a friend who is, and get the impression it is very much a personal choice. The impression I came away with was that a very "devout" Buddhist would be vegetarian, most are not. Don't think Buddhism would be a good choice if you were looking for a definitive yes/no answer!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,662 Times in 806 Posts

Tweet this Post! #42 Yesterday, 10:29 PM
Ricekila
Insert Custom User Title
Thanked 4,760 Times in 1,845 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to Google Lonsman Thanks

Had to think about the chocolate milk. Does that mean milk needs to be processed in a certain way or that milk is banned?
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Did you tweet me -- was it good for you

I feel like I need a shower

Keep your mouth shut

All I remember as a kid -- there wasn't many Rabbi's roaming the dairy's ---

Μολών Λaβέ
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,472 Times in 3,912 Posts

Prob. the milk with the hot dog.
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzyfizzle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Insert Custom User Title

Thats what I said ---

Μολών Λaβέ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
Thats what I said ---

I think the OP didn't understand, the milk with the meat.

How ya doin' out there?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jazzyfizzle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Hunter

Quote:

Keep your mouth shut

I wasn't sure of what you meant on this reply. After a SECOND look at my answer: What I did was copy your name and avatar so it would show who I was answering and the rest of that stuff is what showed up on the transmission.
I was thinking, boy he sure is feeling testy this morning but now I think I know where the misunderstanding came from.
I don't tweet and am green enough to not even know exactly what it means. Sorry about that misunderstanding but I have way too much respect for my own and anyone else's privacy to sent information elsewhere (if that's what tweeting does).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyfizzle View Post
I think the OP didn't understand, the milk with the meat.

How ya doin' out there?
Thanks for straightening this out Jazzy and making me take a second look. You are right I didn't know the connection between the meat and milk but now that I think about it, in the dim recesses of my mind I do remember something about mixing milk and meat. I'll look in Leviticus again and see what it says there.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Hunter

Quote:

Keep your mouth shut

I hope my previous answer serves to unruffle your feathers Rest assured you were not tweeted. I notice tweet now on the right side of the post and at the top of the page with name etc so that is likely why the word got included.
I was going to say have a cup of coffe but that brought up another question in my mind. Since I am most familiar with the Seventh Day Adventists and they discourage such stimulants, does the Jewish faith also discourage this. I kind of have my doubts because of the Adventist view on health etc but not absolutely sure.
Also if it is appropriate (not trying to be a smart ass and you got me a little gun shy) Shalom. I do think this is a proper Jewish greeting since I see it in print a lot but I might be wrong

Last edited by mtnairkin; 01-06-2013 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: added sentence
Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Survivor

There would be two components when considering the Hebrew standpoint, the written law which reads- (I included the before and after verses to show that is all is said here about his subject)

Anything else that is decreed is by rabbinic ruling/decision/oral law, (ie eating the hot dog with milk, putting cheese on the hamburger..).

Shemot- Exodus - 23

18. You shall not sacrifice the blood of My sacrifice with leaven, and the fat of My festive sacrifice shall not stay overnight until morning.
יח. לֹא תִזְבַּח עַל חָמֵץ דַּם זִבְחִי וְלֹא יָלִין חֵלֶב חַגִּי עַד בֹּקֶר:

19. The choicest of the first fruits of your soil you shall bring to the house of the Lord, your God. You shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk.יט. רֵאשִׁית בִּכּוּרֵי אַדְמָתְךָ תָּבִיא בֵּית יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ לֹא תְבַשֵּׁל גְּדִי בַּחֲלֵב אִמּוֹ:

20. Behold, I am sending an angel before you to guard you on the way and to bring you to the place that I have prepared.
כ. הִנֵּה אָנֹכִי שֹׁלֵחַ מַלְאָךְ לְפָנֶיךָ לִשְׁמָרְךָ בַּדָּרֶךְ וְלַהֲבִיאֲךָ אֶל הַמָּקוֹם אֲשֶׁר הֲכִנֹתִי:

Shemot- Exodus 34

25. You shall not slaughter [or sprinkle] the blood of My sacrifice with leaven, and the offering of the Passover feast shall not remain overnight until the morning.
כה. לֹא תִשְׁחַט עַל חָמֵץ דַּם זִבְחִי וְלֹא יָלִין לַבֹּקֶר זֶבַח חַג הַפָּסַח:

26. The choicest of the first of your soil you shall bring to the house of the Lord, your God. You shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk."
כו. רֵאשִׁית בִּכּוּרֵי אַדְמָתְךָ תָּבִיא בֵּית יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ לֹא תְבַשֵּׁל גְּדִי בַּחֲלֵב אִמּוֹ:

27. The Lord said to Moses: "Inscribe these words for yourself, for according to these words I have formed a covenant with you and with Israel."
כז. וַיֹּאמֶר יְהֹוָה אֶל משֶׁה כְּתָב לְךָ אֶת הַדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה כִּי עַל פִּי | הַדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה כָּרַתִּי אִתְּךָ בְּרִית וְאֶת יִשְׂרָאֵל:

Devarim- Deut. 14

20. You may eat any clean fowl.
כ. כָּל עוֹף טָהוֹר תֹּאכֵלוּ:

21. You shall not eat any carcass. You may give it to the stranger who is in your cities, that he may eat it, or you may sell it to a foreigner; for you are a holy people to the Lord, your God. You shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk.
כא. לֹא תֹאכְלוּ כָל נְבֵלָה לַגֵּר אֲשֶׁר בִּשְׁעָרֶיךָ תִּתְּנֶנָּה וַאֲכָלָהּ אוֹ מָכֹר לְנָכְרִי כִּי עַם קָדוֹשׁ אַתָּה לַיהֹוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ לֹא תְבַשֵּׁל גְּדִי בַּחֲלֵב אִמּוֹ:

22. You shall tithe all the seed crop that the field gives forth, year by year.
כב. עַשֵּׂר תְּעַשֵּׂר אֵת כָּל תְּבוּאַת זַרְעֶךָ הַיֹּצֵא הַשָּׂדֶה שָׁנָה שָׁנָה:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jazzyfizzle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Prepared

I am a Christian but have lived abroad for quite a bit. If you stay in a Buddhist monestary in NE Asia, you will eat vegetarian. If you go to a Sikh temple, you will also eat vegetarian. Jainism, a religion found primarily in India, is also vegetarian.
The Following User Says Thank You to IlikeSa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
A Lone Star

Thanked 10,220 Times in 4,638 Posts

Quote:

My mother kept Kosher for my first 10 - 12 years or so

Just plain torture

Couldn't have chocolate milk with my Hebrew National hot-dogs

No mayo - No pork

For a while I thought we might be Chinese with all the take-out they bought

Never saw a clam

What is this shrimp you speak of ---

To this day I still hate Halva

All meat was bought from "The Butcher" in town

And in my opinion --- NO TASTE

Then one day about 2 hours after dinner - my father said I'm taking the boy ( I hated that ) to the store with me ---

We went to this brand new place called McDonalds

That was the first of many times I heard --- "Don't tell your mother"

But -- I still like those "Big Crackers" as my wifey calls them and Gefilte fish
so how do you eat today? i dont keep kosher anymore but i cant bring myself to nibble some pork and 9 times out 10 i will get a burger without cheese, and on occasion i will find myself reading labels
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Quote:
How ya doin' out there?
If that was directed at me --- Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
I wasn't sure of what you meant on this reply. After a SECOND look at my answer: What I did was copy your name and avatar so it would show who I was answering and the rest of that stuff is what showed up on the transmission.
I was thinking, boy he sure is feeling testy this morning but now I think I know where the misunderstanding came from.
I don't tweet and am green enough to not even know exactly what it means. Sorry about that misunderstanding but I have way too much respect for my own and anyone else's privacy to sent information elsewhere (if that's what tweeting does).
No testiness on my part ever ---- I was joking

Sometimes -- my humor doesn't translate to well into my typing - which is why I use a lot of smileys

Μολών Λaβέ
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standox View Post
so how do you eat today? i dont keep kosher anymore but i cant bring myself to nibble some pork and 9 times out 10 i will get a burger without cheese, and on occasion i will find myself reading labels
I eat what I want - when I want

I never proselytize at anyone

If eating according to ones beliefs is what they want to do -- Fine --

I feel what I toss in my face -- doesn't make me any less of a Jew

Μολών Λaβέ
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Hunter

Quote:
There would be two components when considering the Hebrew standpoint, the written law which reads- (I included the before and after verses to show that is all is said here about his subject)

Anything else that is decreed is by rabbinic ruling/decision/oral law, (ie eating the hot dog with milk, putting cheese on the hamburger..).

Shemot- Exodus - 23

18. You shall not sacrifice the blood of My sacrifice with leaven, and the fat of My festive sacrifice shall not stay overnight until morning.
יח. לֹא תִזְבַּח עַל חָמֵץ דַּם זִבְחִי וְלֹא יָלִין חֵלֶב חַגִּי עַד בֹּקֶר:

19. The choicest of the first fruits of your soil you shall bring to the house of the Lord, your God. You shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk.יט. רֵאשִׁית בִּכּוּרֵי אַדְמָתְךָ תָּבִיא בֵּית יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ לֹא תְבַשֵּׁל גְּדִי בַּחֲלֵב אִמּוֹ:

20. Behold, I am sending an angel before you to guard you on the way and to bring you to the place that I have prepared.
כ. הִנֵּה אָנֹכִי שֹׁלֵחַ מַלְאָךְ לְפָנֶיךָ לִשְׁמָרְךָ בַּדָּרֶךְ וְלַהֲבִיאֲךָ אֶל הַמָּקוֹם אֲשֶׁר הֲכִנֹתִי:

Shemot- Exodus 34

25. You shall not slaughter [or sprinkle] the blood of My sacrifice with leaven, and the offering of the Passover feast shall not remain overnight until the morning.
כה. לֹא תִשְׁחַט עַל חָמֵץ דַּם זִבְחִי וְלֹא יָלִין לַבֹּקֶר זֶבַח חַג הַפָּסַח:

26. The choicest of the first of your soil you shall bring to the house of the Lord, your God. You shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk."
כו. רֵאשִׁית בִּכּוּרֵי אַדְמָתְךָ תָּבִיא בֵּית יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ לֹא תְבַשֵּׁל גְּדִי בַּחֲלֵב אִמּוֹ:

27. The Lord said to Moses: "Inscribe these words for yourself, for according to these words I have formed a covenant with you and with Israel."
כז. וַיֹּאמֶר יְהֹוָה אֶל משֶׁה כְּתָב לְךָ אֶת הַדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה כִּי עַל פִּי | הַדְּבָרִים הָאֵלֶּה כָּרַתִּי אִתְּךָ בְּרִית וְאֶת יִשְׂרָאֵל:

Devarim- Deut. 14

20. You may eat any clean fowl.
כ. כָּל עוֹף טָהוֹר תֹּאכֵלוּ:

21. You shall not eat any carcass. You may give it to the stranger who is in your cities, that he may eat it, or you may sell it to a foreigner; for you are a holy people to the Lord, your God. You shall not cook a kid in its mother's milk.
כא. לֹא תֹאכְלוּ כָל נְבֵלָה לַגֵּר אֲשֶׁר בִּשְׁעָרֶיךָ תִּתְּנֶנָּה וַאֲכָלָהּ אוֹ מָכֹר לְנָכְרִי כִּי עַם קָדוֹשׁ אַתָּה לַיהֹוָה אֱלֹהֶיךָ לֹא תְבַשֵּׁל גְּדִי בַּחֲלֵב אִמּוֹ:

22. You shall tithe all the seed crop that the field gives forth, year by year.
כב. עַשֵּׂר תְּעַשֵּׂר אֵת כָּל תְּבוּאַת זַרְעֶךָ הַיֹּצֵא הַשָּׂדֶה שָׁנָה שָׁנָה:

After I got to thinking about it, (kid in mother's milk) that's what my dim memory thought it said. I just never connected that with drinking milk and having a burger. I was thinking it meant directly the kid being cooked in it's own mother's milk. Interesting thanks.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Hunter

I never proselytize at anyone

If eating according to ones beliefs is what they want to do -- Fine --

Good!!!
Mtn
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Hunter

Thanks everyone. This is so much better than my first attempt a year and a half ago. I am learning much of what I wanted to hear.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmarshalofbloviana View Post
After all, mtnairkin, what would a Christian know, anyway. Why, we all know Christians only know about, you know, things a Christian would only know.

If you would go back and read through this thread and maybe even if you are so inclined and see the vast difference in my original thread a year and a half ago, even a Christian might recognise the difference.

Shalom (that's a word I just looked up to make sure of it)