Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-30-2012, 01:04 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,049 Times in 814 Posts
Default Dirt cheap insulation

Advertise Here

Sheets of styrofoam packing from large white goods boxes works incredibly well.
Cardboard Fridge boxes and washing machine boxes just get thrown out to land fill dumps, but they have large sheets of foam packing that can be cut to size and filled in wall panels and ceiling spaces.

Cost nothing, but will make a 12 to 18 degree Celcius difference in house temp, depending on how much is used.

Foam is flammable but kept from high heat sources it works great as insulation in normal conditions. So don't put foam directly over ceiling lights, use glass fibre around lights and put distance between the hot lights and foam insulation.

The foam can also be layered into big blocks and wraped in foil or Mylar to protect it.

If you want double glazed windows cheap, scout around for old shop drinks fridges in junk yards, the big glass doors are double glazed and make great windows. Aquarium glue works well to join the panels of glass.

Next time you buy a soda from the gas station, look at the fridge door, you can see how thick the glass is, it's double glazed.
Thousands of the these shop fridges are sitting junk yards after they are thrown out, yet they are filled with high quality double glazed panels that would cost a fortune to buy new.

Just a couple of ideas for you guys, you might have better ones, feel free to add other suggestions.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM

You can add used styrofoam coolers to the list, I put the "peanuts" in shopping bags and stuff that into the rafters along with the other stuff.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Hunter

Not to be a wet blanket but if there ever is a fire will the use of unapproved building materials void your insurance?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhotonSD For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,339 Times in 1,008 Posts

My hanger/workshop is on solar. I have a refrigerator for cold drinks, Large sheets of foam came in the solar panels boxes so I made a foam box around most of the ref except for the lower rear where the compressor is located. The temp dial was on 7 , (from 0-10), now on 3. It comes on less that 1/2 of the time compared from before the foam. I need to put the Watt/meter on it.
I heat the building (50' X 60')with wood with a NG furnice as a backup. I now have enough pop cans to make a hot air panel over the south faceing patio doors for the winter to help on the heat. Will have it on castors to roll it away from the doors and store away for the summer.

Stopped by a local junk store. Bought 7 good patio doors for $5. each, ( 2 doors for a 6' wide patio door). Sold the door frame aluminum for $35. at the scrap metal place. Pops
Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Hunter

So you are used to living in CA.
Foam for insulation is an approved building material. Stop by your local building box store and see 4'X 8' sheets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonSD View Post
Not to be a wet blanket but if there ever is a fire will the use of unapproved building materials void your insurance?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,049 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
It's ok, I don't have insurance.

If the place burns down and I survive the inferno, I can rebuild again with cheap unapproved building materials.

It's a real comfort to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts

My Neighbor was grinding up a truck load of those white styrofoam Shipping chunks one time in a garden chipper, and I asked him what he was doing. He said he mixed that stuff with the Loose fill insulation from Home depot to keep it from Packing down. It must keep it fluffed up.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I live in a 50+ year old mobile home, no one will insure it anyway... the good thing is they built them solid back then, and I only have $2k in it including transport and placement. I added a inclosed front porch and an extra room built from mostly scrap lumber and have been living in it for over 18 years.. Like someone else said, if it burns, I'll just build it back.

Last edited by Otis413; 12-30-2012 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: spelin', i aint gud at it...
Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 PM

I too have used these panels or sheets, in insulating the top portion of my barn. The studs are 24" on center, some fit and some need trimmed. I can't see passing this free stuff up!!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Oath Keeper

Thanked 1,449 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhawk View Post
So you are used to living in CA.
Foam for insulation is an approved building material. Stop by your local building box store and see 4'X 8' sheets.
Yes but foam 'packing matterial' is not 'foam insulation'

The difference is on is UL approved for insulation one is not
Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Hunter

Sorry I guessed Ca but I see that you live in NY.
Not much difference except the weather.
I don't live in a commie state, so all I have to do is approve the insulation myself. "Its approved" There I went and did it. ALL of my insulation is approved. Are you happy now? Pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBERTYCHICKEN View Post
Yes but foam 'packing matterial' is not 'foam insulation'

The difference is on is UL approved for insulation one is not
The Following User Says Thank You to bearhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Thanked 34,224 Times in 14,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rett View Post
I survive the inferno
Don't worry about surviving the flames -- the fumes from Styrofoam when burned produces polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (causes cancer) carbon soot (also can cause cancer) and carbon monoxide - so you can supervise the rebuild from the respirator you'll be on ---- for a while

Μολών Λaβέ
Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 PM
MOLON LABE!

Thanked 28,504 Times in 3,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
Don't worry about surviving the flames -- the fumes from Styrofoam when burned produces polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (causes cancer) carbon soot (also can cause cancer) and carbon monoxide - so you can supervise the rebuild from the respirator you'll be on ---- for a while
LOL!

Everything is known to the states of California and New York to cause cancer, especially breathing the filthy, smoggy air in those states!

Come out west, Ricekila, we can see for miles and miles through the clean, smog-free air!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweeper80 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Thanked 34,224 Times in 14,326 Posts

Trust me --- I'm working on it ---

Μολών Λaβέ
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 AM

A guy once contacted me with this heavy glass insulation...kind of like the kind used between that expensive double wall chimney pipe. I told him I didn't have a way to grind it, but probably didn't have to, as it was in pretty small pieces. He said they threw truckloads away a week and he'd give it to me for free.

I thought for a concrete block building this stuff would be perfect...just run it through a Craftsman chipper.

If anyone lives in Indiana or Kentucky and would like some, I could probably get a hold of the guy.