Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Monster Make Pretty....

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by remus View Post
I guess my local guy is doing it wrong since he is not raising prices and is even still giving his regulars breaks on prices.
It is neither right nor wrong... it is supply and demand. If he is selling below market value then eventually he will have to raise his prices, quit selling those items or go under...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMetal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM
"Der fun since '61"

Thanked 4,839 Times in 2,562 Posts

I saw a bare AR receiver go from $79.99 just two weeks ago, yesterday it was now $169.99.

Wasn't worth $79.99 then and it still isn't.

Other shops had cheap AK's in the mid $550-650 range are now all above $800.

Forget your IRA or 401K's we all should have been investing in guns, not for defense but as inve$tment$...............
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Monster Make Pretty....

an AR lower at $169, even a crappy one, is cheap for this area. A composite one will set you back $250- $300 and a forged one $400-$500
Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,065 Times in 4,955 Posts

Yeah, great, the business owners should sell remaining stocks of a scarce resource so others can come, buy PMags at $14.95, buy them out and sell them in their parking lots for $40.00.

Do they let like 8 year olds post in this forum?
The Following User Says Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,367 Times in 660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepping View Post
Yeah, great, .

Do they let like 8 year olds post in this forum?
No, they like, let, like, you know, like, for real people post here, man. Wow. Cool.
All those who call it free market are fooling themselves. Free market exists when government isn't artificially corrupting the supply. Free market exists where people operate in an ethical manner. Unbridled capitalism that is devoid of any morals or ethics surpasses the lash of vilest of Marxists in it's exploitation and inhumanity.
But, like, you know how it is, like being eight years old and cool.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tokarev 40 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokarev 40 View Post
No, they like, let, like, you know, like, for real people post here, man. Wow. Cool.
All those who call it free market are fooling themselves. Free market exists when government isn't artificially corrupting the supply. Free market exists where people operate in an ethical manner. Unbridled capitalism that is devoid of any morals or ethics surpasses the lash of vilest of Marxists in it's exploitation and inhumanity.
But, like, you know how it is, like being eight years old and cool.
print, save, and many years from now, once you've taken Economics 101, you'll realize how clueless you really are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Monster Make Pretty....

Hey man, I think your wrong (Tokarev 40) I know you think I am wrong.... I am pretty sure your not going to change my mind but I would like to invite you to make your case to help me understand....

Tell me what would be right and show me how it would work. How should these people be setting the price? Who is responsible for the folks paying what they are? How is raising the price when demand drops anything but free market?

If you owned a AR-15 specialty business what would you do? How would you keep from having to go out of business once your inventory is gone and new stock is backorderd 3-9 months?
The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMetal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Trapper

Just had another order canceled with the company claiming they were out of stock.

Interestingly, though, the email states "we are not able to process your original order at original pricing"

So, sorry to be cynical, but I wonder if they just canceled the order to sell what I wanted at a higher price.

The product I ordered is no longer in production, so I will be watching their website to see if they really were "out of stock"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ncbill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Those of you claiming "supply and demand" and "free market"; when you can show me that wholesale increases match the retail increases, or the business will fail by selling stock already on their shelves for the previous price, I will beleive it.
The manufacturers may have added machines or another shift to keep up, and have to raise prices to recoup or stay profitable, but I highly doubt their cost is up 300%.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0369 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Monster Make Pretty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0369 View Post
Those of you claiming "supply and demand" and "free market"; when you can show me that wholesale increases match the retail increases, or the business will fail by selling stock already on their shelves for the previous price, I will beleive it.
The manufacturers may have added machines or another shift to keep up, and have to raise prices to recoup or stay profitable, but I highly doubt their cost is up 300%.
So tell me.... What does manufacture cost have to do with supply and demand? think about what you said. Supply (how much there is) and demand (how many want it) It has nothing to do with production cost..

Cost to produce an oz of gold in 2011? $662 Average sales price? $1572 Why are they making so much? limited supply strong demand..

http://goldnews.bullionvault.com/gold-mining-062820123
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMetal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMetal View Post
It is neither right nor wrong... it is supply and demand. If he is selling below market value then eventually he will have to raise his prices, quit selling those items or go under...
So tell me.... What does manufacture cost have to do with supply and demand? think about what you said. Supply (how much there is) and demand (how many want it) It has nothing to do with production cost..

Cost to produce an oz of gold in 2011? $662 Average sales price? $1572 Why are they making so much? limited supply strong demand..

So tell me.... I was refering to your statement above about a business "having" to raise prices or go under. Why would he go under selling a product for a profit and not a rediculous, inflated price because others are? Profit is still profit. Does overhead magically go up because of supply and demand?
I agree with you on one thing.... your reference to companies selling only AR related items is probably true since no product = no profit.
The Following User Says Thank You to 0369 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Monster Make Pretty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0369 View Post
I agree with you on one thing.... your reference to companies selling only AR related items is probably true since no product = no profit.
Yeah that example is probably not the best... it assumes he sells only affected products...

I am open minded though... the part that I dont get, and why I keep responding to all these "overpriced" posts is no one offers a better plan... yeah supply and demand sucks for some, is good for others... but what system works better to establish price? In the long run supply and demand, free market is always best. sometimes it takes a while for things to balance but they will always balance in the long run...
Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Monster Make Pretty....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Just had another order canceled with the company claiming they were out of stock.

Interestingly, though, the email states "we are not able to process your original order at original pricing"

So, sorry to be cynical, but I wonder if they just canceled the order to sell what I wanted at a higher price.

The product I ordered is no longer in production, so I will be watching their website to see if they really were "out of stock"
what company is that?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Survivor

something is never overpriced when it's flying off the shelves...hopefully, they got people working night and day at the Magpul PMAG line...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 PM
Prepared

How do you kill demand? Raise prices.

These companies that are raising prices so high are most likely only trying to reduce the demand to a level they can keep up with, and not to take advantage of the situation.

Contrarily, people selling mags on ebay for $100 are simply taking advantage and trying to make a buck.

Either way, there's nothing wrong with it. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So if they get a buyer for that price, it's all good.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tobincreek For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Survivor

We had broke individuals here complaining about others buying 'expensive' Pmags when they ranged from $9.99 to $14.99. Now the same broke A individuals are getting upset because others have money to spend on things and they believe that 'drives up' the price. It'd be interesting to take the screen names of those whining about this and compare it to the 'don't buy' earlier posts and the other poor planning types of comments in the past.

Others once the AWB expired in 2004 hit things like magazines like crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Prepared

It's just supply and demand curves from Freshman economics. Nothing complicated.

People that have more money than you do not "drive up the prices" of items. Don't hate.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM
Producer

Don't like the price? Don't buy it. And quit yer cryin'. Bunch of damn babies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OverTaxed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Hooligan on Holiday

Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,453 Posts

CTD never stopped selling firearms, only on their website did they do this as they figured out by putting their firearms on auction sites under anonymous names they could make much more than their advertised prices due to the massive demands. Shameful practice to profit from such a tragic event and the political BS much like they did after the 2008 elections when I quit buying from them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reed For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Plan Z: Run!

Thanked 17,930 Times in 7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGSNewnan View Post
the market place sets the price. when a level is reached and sales stop, the price will be lowered. its very simple. prices are based simply on what one will pay. not the other way around.
Correct. We are talking about the free choice on buying guns. It's not like we are talking about Health Insurance purchases that are being forced upon us.

Your choices are free markets with price swings or communist pricing models with the associated quotas, shortages, or simple unavailability.