Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,173 Times in 836 Posts
Default Wednesday check in

Advertise Here

Hi all,
yesterday I did a bit of elliptical and today
ta-dah! back to full exercises (elliptical, burpess, squats and various arm/ab/leg exercises)

ej
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extremejoy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 03:01 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 19,887 Times in 5,713 Posts

Wow. Nothing like ye olde family drama to remove my appetite! I holed up with a book that explains how world finances work (and it was a "thriller"... not a sleeping pill)... and have barely begun moving again. But I got some initial weight loss - been taking probiotics since around thanksgiving... so I'm feeling a bit more energetic than I was. We had one of those "just us" Christmas's... so I didn't go crazy baking or anything.

Lows here have dropped to below 40; I also complain about the "cold"!! But it's way better than August's heat - that makes me ill, to try to work in it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sacajawea For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Recent Blog: Atlanta, Georgia
The 5 will survive.....

Thanked 54,291 Times in 17,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremejoy9 View Post
Wow, it's amazing that it has gone from 1 in 150,000 to 1 in 88 in our lifetime! Thanks for sharing Mogli, it's nice to know that I'm in good company! How do you manage? Do you have help at home? do you have respite? Do you have any suggestions for activities? Nothing seems to interest my DS other than eating, taking a bath, and breaking things!lol!

I did have help at home daily when Nichole was little. I used my respite care to help implement our behavior modification program. Nichole loves swimming. Most autistic kids love water and swinging.

He's soon to be 7, he's non-verbal but very expressive in his own way. He can say a lot just with his eyebrows. He's exhausting but he's soooo cute! And I always feel loved by him. Isn't that funny? He rarely hugs but sometimes will lean against us, sometimes he'll come over and sit in my lap (this is very rare, but does happen)

It's common that autistic children may be much more aware of what's happening then we believe they are. There have been case of some making breakthroughs with different types of communication devices who become very communicative and say they knew what was happening but couldn't get it out. Temple Grandin is a great read!

He won't play with toys other than to throw them down the stairs (he loves doing that) and has no interest in books and doesn't want me to read to him. he loves being outside and spends a lot of time in the backyard in the summer. I could go on and on! oops! just noticed I'm totally off-topic!

Most severely autistic children don't play with toys. They're just objects to them. I wonder if he would like a sprinkler or one of those large tramplines? I bought the big trampline for our backyard and also a giant sand box. Anything stimulating.

my checkin for yesterday and today: oops! will try again tomorrow!!
Well just to let everybody know right off the top that I haven't been exercising or dieting or eating healthy!

I hope to go for a walk tonight!

Extremejoy9,

We worked with Nichole for years with a intense behavior modification program from UCLA. It was very hard but it did work well for her.

It revolves around immitation therapy. First major motor and then fine motor. With autistic children, they often don't have any eye contact and that is the very first thing they need to learn. Also at the top of the list is occupational therapy which I believe they need daily and the schools usually only provide one hour weekly.

I could go on for hours about developmental disabilities since our lives revolved around it for years.

But here, I'll just mention one thing that I feel was a miracle.

Nichole was one of those autistic kids you can't hold, touch, or hug. She had huge sensory and self stimulatroy problems. She had frequent screaming tantrums that were completely uncontrolable. When she was just over 2, I was talking on the phone to another mother.

She suggested to me to try rolfing (I'm not sure I have this word correct). But bascially, when Nichole would have one of her out of control fits, I was to do deep tissue massage on the large muscles like the thighs and the buttocks. She told me to massage her almost to the point of pain. That hard. She also said if it made things worse to stop immediately.

So during a fit one day, I tried this. I put her on the floor and began massaging the large muscles very firmly..... and Nichole started laughing! This was the first time I had ever had real contact with her since she wasn't a child I could hold. She loved it! Thereafter, I would do this massage when she was in distress and I swear it helped her sensory stimulation problems. She gradually had less and less fits and became a much more hugable child.

It was a breakthrough for us and we made steady progress from there with the occupational therapy and our LOVASS immitation therapy.

Severely autistic children are very difficult and I hope you have a support group close. They're invaluable for the emmotional support we need and also to keep current on new advances coming out to help these kids.

I'm curious though, does he have any eye contact? Does he point if he wants something? Was he normal until age 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 and then digress.... or was there always something off? Nichole always had something off and it was finally confirmed at the age of 2.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mogli For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Recent Blog: Atlanta, Georgia
The 5 will survive.....

Thanked 54,291 Times in 17,267 Posts

I ate okay today.... But,

I made my 50 min. walk tonight! YAY!!

My energy level is so slow and sluggish I think I'm going to do one of those cleanses. You know where you only drink vegetables and fruit through a juicer for a couple days.

I wonder if that could give me a boost?

Anybody tried one? I think a good thorough cleaning would do wonders!

That reminds me.

about 25 years ago I got on a health kick. Well I added about 1/2 cup of bran to my and my husbands oatmeal for breakfast. Then we went to church.

I thought I'd bust a gut! I had the most incredible gas I ever had in my whole life and only a miracle of God helped me get through that service without passing gas on that pew! No pun intended!

Anyway, when we got out to the car my husband told me about his stomach problems and that's how I figured out it was the bran.

Moral of the story, while experimenting with new diets, take it slow!

Sorry if that was TMI!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mogli For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Hunter

'Morning everyone!

@Mogli: I'm going to send you a pm...I can really go on when I get started talking about my son

and as for a cleanse, I think it's a GREAT idea! We're only as happy and healthy as our colon is!! Last year a few of my friends and family got into detoxing...we studied all aspects of it (my job was researching new ideas then sharing them with the group) and it's soooo interesting! There are a lot of little things than you can do that have a big impact. The basic idea was that there are toxins in food, in the air we breathe, the water we drink, and so many chemicals absorbed into the body that it just can't keep up with clearing them all out. So it needs a little help. Also, the poor colon usually is quite clogged so many toxins on their way out get take too long to leave and get reabsorbed into the blood.

here are some of the things we did (some of us still do)
-skin brushing (using a hard bristle brush-any bath/body shop will have them 12$-40$) once a day, before your bath, brush on dry skin, always moving toward the heart (up from feet, etc)

-tongue scraping (can buy these at any health store or pharmacy for approx 10$) while we're sleeping, the body works hard to rid itself of toxins. You can use your tongue scraper to scrape off a filmy substance from your tongue(this is the residue of what your body has worked so hard to get rid of-you don't want to just spread it around your mouth with your toothbrush-get rid of it!)

-cleansing drink: mix, water, juice, Bentonite clay(from healthstore) and psyllium fiber in a glass, drink quickly. Once or twice a day for a week, or as long as desired. it gently removes gunk from the colon (psyllium gently scrapes off the gunk, the clay absorbs it and helps it out of the body)

haha oops! As you can see this is a topic I could go on about....look at us, we'll be the most in-shape, happiest and healthiest people around!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extremejoy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgie View Post
In June 2010 I carried 340 lbs on my 6' frame and 57 years old. Thursday this week I weigh 213 lbs. YaY...127 pounds gone but I look like I need to be ironed! LOL seriously. it was all me, no meds, surgery; just exercise and moderation in my eating habits. for my height 190 is my goal. I want to join with yall to listen, share and learn.
thanks
Well done! I am a few inches shorter and wasn't quite as heavy but after nearly a year of doing running+stretchest/callenetics+calisthetics I'm down to 217. Would like to hit 170 this summer.

My theory is "screw the complicated crap, won't have it in a serious shtf anyway" which lead me to doing only easy to do exercises, without gyms and toys.

Running. Basic stretches (which is a lot what callentics is) and the situp-pushup-squat routine. 30 mins a day for all but running. Running takes an hour and I try to do it daily but it comes down to more of a two days on one day off thing. Partly due to body aches and strains while earning my base. I'm told it takes two years to get a runners base and as a severe osteoporosis person in early 40s, I have to have that weight bearing work out.

And I am LOVING feeling strong again. Can't believe I sat around for ten years getting fat and sick.

You can do it, ladies!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Seeria For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Hunter

Default Friday check in

hi everyone! Friday I did about 3/4 of my exercises : D
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extremejoy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 03:05 PM

Thanked 1,173 Times in 656 Posts

Thought I best check in. Hope everyone is doing great. I'm watching my weight and have beem walking 2 miles daily. I wanted to share one of my tips that has helped me lose almost 130 lbs in the last 18 months. I learned to not weight in but once a week. Additionally I found that you can be losing weight but gaining muscle, which is heavier.
My snack of choice through weight loss was/is frozen grapes. Finally give yourself a break.If you are craving a no no food eat it. If you don't more than likely you will binge. Portion control is a must. I get fuller faster now and cant over eat without getting sick.
I get back to basic after the 1st. WTG girls!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Madgie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2012, 02:29 AM
Thanks

Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,939 Posts

I'm sorry ladies. I keep finding all kinds of excuses to sit on my butt. My eating habits have been absolute crap cause my husband bought me a bread machine he found at the thrift store and...

well. I had no idea how delish home made cinnamon rolls are. I'm sorry.

Today I went to put on a pair of sweats that I was so excited fit fine two weeks ago...and they are back to more on the uncomfy side.
Good motivation.

SO, eating some spinach with italian right now for my midnight snack (I'm famished) and doing something tomorrow.

Madgie, good for you. That is inspiring!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MotherEarth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Hunter

check in for yesterday and today:
I did about half of my exercises yesterday and today.
going easy on myself for the holidays!
Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 PM
VIP Member

Hmmm... I'm trying to make myself "earn" online time. 2 hrs work, for 1 online. Gotta start SOMEWHERE... and I just get in trouble blabbing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sacajawea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 PM

My photos are having trouble attaching, but I've lost 40 pounds already (in 6 months) with about 10 more to go.

I cut out ALL soda/cookies/potato chips/etc. I have a soda or junk food maybe 1-2x a month.

I also work out for 15 minutes (at home) about 3-4 days a week.

Diet is a major part of weight loss - Dieting alone, I lost a lot of fat/cellulite.

I stopped my routine over the holidays and lost my abs But back on track today!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to megrenade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM

Thanked 1,173 Times in 656 Posts

I am so proud of you all for wanting to be more fit and healthier.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Sacajawea
Hmmm... I'm trying to make myself "earn" online time. 2 hrs work, for 1 online. Gotta start SOMEWHERE... and I just get in trouble blabbing."

Thats is a great idea.......I had a glass of wine yesterday and really enjoyed it. That was my reward for being good between Christmas and New Years...and I am not much of a drinker. We deserve rewards to make our goals more attainable. Whether its makeup, clothing, preps item etc. it feels good to earn these. The more I exercise the more I want to. It is awesome to feel so good and this will add to caring more about yourself as a strong woman...you will find your confidence growing. Hugs yall Happy New Year

Last edited by Madgie; 01-01-2013 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: error
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Madgie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Hunter

burned 300 calories on the elliptical today-whoo!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 AM
VIP Member

bump up!

Thanks Madgie... I have to have some "rewards" to keep myself moving and to be able to permanently change my habit(s). I find that my brain really likes routines... and changing those routines is really tough, simply because my brain whines so much about change!! LOL...

I also do better if I change several things at once... big change is easier for me, than changing those small counterproductive habits. Dealing with my brain is like dealing with a 3 yr old some days... so I just have to outsmart it!!

I have pretty well convinced myself that "big change" is only months away, due to financial crises all coming home to roost. We moved 3 years ago, finally sold old house last year, so we're still in the "moving in" process... my sandy soil needs a ton of organic matter and irrigation before it'll grow anything; I need shade cloth also... and have a to-do list of projects to turn my house/property into a true "homestead". I'm also using the "urgency" factor to keep myself up, stretching and moving... but the old bod is fighting back lately. Don't know what I did to my back, but nothing is helping right now. Going to try another massage...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sacajawea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,902 Times in 3,937 Posts

I haven't been very good about exercising lately. The weather has been yucky and I don't want to do anything. I did do some yoga today which made me feel better. Hoefully, I will do better tomorrow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to willow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Just getting by

Hope you all will let me join in. Somehow I've missed this thread till this morning. Ironically, I promised myself to get up, check email, and get straight to my workout. Instead, I sat on my also-dimpled bum and read your posts. Bad girl.

I live out in the middle of nowhere, so finding a workout buddy besides my dogs is a pipe dream. I do try to walk a mile a day with the pooches, but I've been finding all sorts of excuses not to. Dog had major surgery, family drama, illness, weather, holidays, and of course, pure laziness. So no more of that, she says with her fingers crossed.

I'm need to lose around 15 lbs. I know it probably doesn't seem like much, but they are the meanest dang pounds I've ever known. No scale in the house, so I'm going with the blue jeans scale. 2 sizes by March.

Also, I just want to say that you all seem like truly good, kind, genuine people and I appreciate that. Kindness and caring is seriously lacking in the world, or so it seems, so reading your posts is like a breath of fresh air. Thanks, all, for being yourselves.

Good luck reaching your goals! Time to go yoga-size.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neroli For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM

Here's my yoga twist. My dogs make a mess every time I go to sleep. I wake up to doggie toy guts all over the floor. I get on the floor and stretch to get all the fuzzy stuff I can reach. Move and stretch till the whole floor is done . We save a fortune on dog toys by visiting the local thrift stores and buying stuffed toys for kids. They bag them up in tall kitchen bags for $5 here. My pups get a bag a week. That's a lot of fuzzy guts to pick up!. Happy shredding! happy yoga for Mommy!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to panhandlelle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Hunter

325 calories burned on the elliptical! whoo!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extremejoy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Just getting by

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlelle View Post
Here's my yoga twist. My dogs make a mess every time I go to sleep. I wake up to doggie toy guts all over the floor. I get on the floor and stretch to get all the fuzzy stuff I can reach. Move and stretch till the whole floor is done . We save a fortune on dog toys by visiting the local thrift stores and buying stuffed toys for kids. They bag them up in tall kitchen bags for $5 here. My pups get a bag a week. That's a lot of fuzzy guts to pick up!. Happy shredding! happy yoga for Mommy!

Lol! I've totally been there ~ Breathe in, stretch, breathe out, bend, grab grab grab, up and bag, step forward, repeat.

My pups had a stuffing obsession for a while until I removed the stuffed toys completely (the youngest likes to swallow all that white polyfill - just can't be good). They're also squeaker fiends, so I just bought a few yards of plain undyed, unbleached burlap, some bulk squeakers off ebay and sewed them into long snakes with squeaker pockets every 6 inches or so. Even gave some of them to family for Christmas. They were a hit! Very inexpensive, a little stinky (burlap yuck), but the dogs loved them. Bonus ~ no more stuffing.

I still have to pick up shredded jute material, and other dog toys every morning, but the yoga-cleaning routine still works out just fine.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neroli For This Useful Post: