Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Default Bataireacht. Irish Stickfighting

Advertise Here

Bataireacht was once well known and widely studied in ireland. It has since fallen into disrepute due to its association with factional fighting and is now nearly forgotten. This style of Bataireacht was brought to Newfoundland with the Doyle family in the mid 1800's and has been passed down in the family. In the late 90's the current grandmaster received permission from his father to start teaching it to the public, and now the style is growing in popularity. Glen Doyle teaches it for free.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Temmy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 PM

I've been a huge fan of the Irish blackthorn for over 30 years. Irish stick fighting is basic stick combat with very logical moves that are very effective. The nice thing about a stick is, you can take one anywhere, unlike a knife or gun. I've flown many times since 9-11 with one of my Irish blackthorn sticks, and the only question I had asked of me was, do I need assistance walking through the metal detectors? They always pass my stick through the x-ray to make sure there's nothing inside it.

A stick gives you reach and power over a knife, with blocking ability thrown in. I've studied stick fighting, but I wish Doyal would take his show on the road so I could study with him. Looks like great stuff.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Trust, but verify.

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,546 Posts

Looks good. Very enthusiastic bunch.

You can see the boxing influence with the stickwork. Its like Irish FMA!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 4,668 Times in 1,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temmy View Post
Bataireacht was once well known and widely studied in ireland. It has since fallen into disrepute due to its association with factional fighting and is now nearly forgotten. This style of Bataireacht was brought to Newfoundland with the Doyle family in the mid 1800's and has been passed down in the family. In the late 90's the current grandmaster received permission from his father to start teaching it to the public, and now the style is growing in popularity. Glen Doyle teaches it for free.

Stil Ui Dhubhghaill - Doyle Clan Irish Stick Fighting (Various) Bataireacht - YouTube
I am most CERTAINLY impressed!!! This is the best "common sense" approach to stick fighting I've ever seen. What is done with the stick in this video, I do with a knife (common sense wise). Perhaps that's why I like it.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,308 Times in 1,867 Posts

Our ship pulled into Road Town in the British Virgin Islands many years ago and it got drunk out. Drunken sailors getting teased by drunken islanders didn't set to well with some of our younger sailors and a small riot broke out. Fortunately it was outside and away from the beer tent. The duty section was called up for emergency shore patrol duty and we were trucked to the beer garden. All we had to do was gather up sailors and load them on the truck, There were 3 policemen there and they were handling things just fine without our help.

"Go sit by that tree boy." If the man went over to the tree and sat down with the rest of the crew he was okay. If he objected he got poked with the stick they carried, smooth, round hardwood staffs about 3 1'2 long. One punch alongside the nose to straighten the young lad up and then a couple of pokes to back him up where he was happy to sit down. The way they handles those sticks looks a lot like what I just saw in the video, smooth, looked like boxing but with a stick in your hand. None of the islanders argued, they went to their tree and sat without needing a reminder.

I looked at my night stick and his and asked that big drink of water they paired me up with if he wanted to trade. "No boy, they only give you half a stick." Then he laughed and laughed. I didn't think it was that funny but I had to agree with him.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Trapper

Wow, I never heard of his before. Looks like it could be very practical, as they are not likely to ban sticks any time soon!

Is there anywhere else that this is taught?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 9,402 Times in 1,287 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonafusilier View Post
Wow, I never heard of his before. Looks like it could be very practical, as they are not likely to ban sticks any time soon!

Get a stick, start working out with it.

Nothing real complicated about hitting things with a stick.

Watch a few videos. Get four or five old car tyres or a punching bag for a target.

I make my sticks from Privet or buy suitable wooden handles at the local hardware store.

Later on get a partner. Some safety gear. Invent/perfect your own stick fighting style.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Adventurer

Here's Glen Doyle's website, showing in stills many of the stick techniques he utilises.

You'll note that the moves are all pretty simple, as the best moves often are.

http://www.reocities.com/glendoyle/bata/

Teaching oneself to use a stick as a defensive/offensive tool is not beyond the ken of most of us.

The real art is making up workable combinations in response to your opponent's counter-moves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaqhama For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 10:51 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonafusilier View Post

the boyscouts actually taught quarter staff years ago get a old manual if you can but there alot of places you can go for that I recommend going herehttp://www.thearma.org

they not only are a network of historical practitioners and historians but also have a very large selection of historical fight manuals available for study
Old 01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
Recent Blog: Closing a Chapter

Looks similar to FMA, but with a bit longer stick. Methinks I'm going to have to look into a blackthorn stick.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I loved this form

Thanked 1,159 Times in 636 Posts

Still relevant after thousands of years for setting aright incorregibles. Sticks are so deceptive...

Unlike FMA, this style has a hold with some of the stick protruding as to render blocks.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,279 Times in 5,962 Posts

VERY nice! I am intrigued. I see some escrima/kali type influence in some of the stickwork but so much more. VERY nice.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Just keepin' it real

Thanked 7,271 Times in 2,659 Posts

I like it!!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 AM
Hiker

Cold steel do a replica one made from polypropylene, pricey but very good as a self defense tool, and as I have knee ligament damage it's useful to have and no one can question my use of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Somnophore For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 AM
I loved this form

Thanked 1,159 Times in 636 Posts

Liam Kealy makes gorgeous authentic ones and can be found at http://www.oldeshillelagh.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Cachook For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 PM

In FMA, we use rattan sticks, relatively light but tough as nails. Can't tell you how many times I've had my knuckles popped while practicing self-defense. You'd think your hands would toughen up and you can take it.

I've been doing it for four years, and it still hurts like hell when it happens.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerragonSix View Post
In FMA, we use rattan sticks, relatively light but tough as nails. Can't tell you how many times I've had my knuckles popped while practicing self-defense. You'd think your hands would toughen up and you can take it.

I've been doing it for four years, and it still hurts like hell when it happens.
Not if you wear armoured gloves.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,176 Times in 5,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
the boyscouts actually taught quarter staff years ago get a old manual if you can but there alot of places you can go for that I recommend going herehttp://www.thearma.org

they not only are a network of historical practitioners and historians but also have a very large selection of historical fight manuals available for study
Wow I didn't know that.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

seems this topic is coming up again on another thread so bump bump bump
Old 03-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Prepared

I have been doing a little FMA with ratton sticks and foam covered sticks, in sparring hands become very sought after targets. I just can't help but notice how vulnerable the hands look with a lot of the Irish stick tactics. Makes me think ouch..