Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Recent Blog:
Soldier, Patriot

Thanked 6,461 Times in 1,819 Posts
Default Are my weapons registered?

Advertise Here

This might sound idiotic but I have no idea if my weapons are "registered" and who, if anyone, they're registered with.

I purchased my .22 pistol new from Academy Sports and Outdoors in Florida. Filled out the background check paper and then the guy called it in by phone. I waited the 3 day wait period and picked it up.

I then purchased my Glock 17 new from a Pawn and Gun by in Florida by order from a Glock dealer online. Same thing. Filled out the background check form, dude called it in, I picke it up 3 days later.

Bought my Colt M4 new from Walmart in Texas. Filled out the background form, dude called it in, no waiting period, I walked out with it that day.

I don't remember ever filling anything else out to register my weapons. So, are they? Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Maximus

Thanked 13,893 Times in 6,179 Posts

Nope they are not registered. You just filed for the background check form. No serial numbers are kept on those or even the type of firearm purchased.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM
huh......what?

Thanked 33,799 Times in 8,257 Posts

Technically,no, your rifle isn't "registered" in the traditional sense. But there is a permanent record of you having bought the weapon. The gun store must keep the paperwork on file, and if they go out of buisness, must send it to the ATF. If the rifle is ever used in a crime, the .gov can trace the serial number to the retailer, and then hunt down your personal information from there.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM
III

Thanked 1,459 Times in 532 Posts

Mine are. Seeing how the Bill of Rights recognises not grants God given inalienable rights,I should be good. God has not gotten back and said to get rid of them either and He knows I have them.. If he does I will comply but not for anyone else.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to canman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 01:02 PM
land of the free?

What states require you to register firearms at purchase?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Prepared

i know for a fact that here in Maine that "background check" registers those firearms to you the purchaser.
this is how i know it to be true.
My brother bought a glock .40 and .45 and gave the .40 to my cousin. he filled out the background check to purchase them both, my cousin after receiving the pistol he registered it in his name though the town.
less then 24 hours later ATF was knocking on my brothers door looking for him and asking why the .40 was REGISTERED to him and then my cousin a day later. they used the exact word "REGISTERED"
Old 12-27-2012, 01:23 PM
III

Thanked 1,459 Times in 532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetFreek View Post
i know for a fact that here in Maine that "background check" registers those firearms to you the purchaser.
My brother bought a glock .40 and .45 and gave the .40 to my cousin. he filled out the background check to purchase them both, my cousin after receiving the pistol he registered it in his name though the town.
less then 24 hours later ATF was knocking on my brothers door looking for him and asking why the .40 was REGISTERED to him and then my cousin a day later. they used the exact word "REGISTERED"
Wow the world IS much safer with registration. Look at the way they nipped that problem right in the bud. Bet those ATF agents felt real good about their above average income after that.Surprised that didn't make national news.Just think of all the criminals who would have thought twice.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to canman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Remember The Alamo

Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Nope they are not registered. You just filed for the background check form. No serial numbers are kept on those or even the type of firearm purchased.
The form and the serial # 's of guns purchased have to be kept by the seller until he goes out of bussiness, and then the files are transfered to the ATF.
In a way they are registered.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Hiker

Firearms registration is a pretty loose word. I consider any firearm i have bought and filled out paperwork to purchase as a registered weapon of sorts. It can be tracked back to you.

-Nate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redranger1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 18,521 Times in 5,833 Posts

Quote:
Hilarious....since the 4473 allows you to buy something as a gift and its ok. But if I buy it for myself and decide to sell it to my brother the next day they freak out? Meh, if they were really so concerned about "straw purchases" maybe they'd have stopped some illegal guns going to Mexican Drug Cartels.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 18,521 Times in 5,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger1 View Post
Firearms registration is a pretty loose word. I consider any firearm i have bought and filled out paperwork to purchase as a registered weapon of sorts. It can be tracked back to you.

-Nate
This is why there's a fair number of people who prefer to buy guns used with no paper trail.

And some people prefer to build their own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Bull****....just saying, There is so much wrong lets start with why would they care if it was a legal gun between two legal people.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Tactical Tinkerer

In Michigan you must have a purchase permit to buy a handgun.When you recieve the hand gun , it must be registered at the sherrif dept of the county that you reside in. This (technically) does not apply to private transfers ,(yet). This is why I buy in ohio ,I have property there and have dual residince status,but even so,if I bring them to my residence in Mi , they are supposed to be registered in my county to me.If I were to move within the state,they do not have to be reregistered in my new county of residence. This tells me that the "registration" is not a county thing, but rather a "state " data base. Long guns do not require any registration as long as they are not NFA items. They do require a background check though.

edit) as far as the private transfer of handguns it IS the buyers responceability to register it in his county of residence,since transport or posession of an unregistered handgun is unlawful and (I believe) a felony.

Last edited by michiganmuleguy; 12-27-2012 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: additional content
Old 12-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Prepared

Quote:

Where in Maine does your brother live that he had to register a pistol with his town?

Is there more to this story?

I'm not aware of any municipality in Maine that requires handgun registration.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Thanked 37,793 Times in 12,707 Posts

Where do the criminals go to register?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to POPPALUV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM
I'll eat your gold.

Thanked 2,142 Times in 849 Posts

Well, there is another state added to the list of states I'm not going to be moving to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to American Chestnut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,445 Times in 2,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
Technically,no, your rifle isn't "registered" in the traditional sense. But there is a permanent record of you having bought the weapon. The gun store must keep the paperwork on file, and if they go out of buisness, must send it to the ATF. If the rifle is ever used in a crime, the .gov can trace the serial number to the retailer, and then hunt down your personal information from there.
Well, if we're speaking technically, then the BATF must dispose of the sales records in a timely fashion (generally understood to be about a year, and no longer than 5). The BATF has been challenged on backdoor registration before, and lost. They still, however, continue to break the order of the courts and keep sales records that are used to "backdoor register" for criminal investigations and such.
Don't like it? Vote about it.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Chestnut View Post
Well, there is another state added to the list of states I'm not going to be moving to.
There is no handgun registration in Maine.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 4,397 Times in 1,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPALUV View Post
Where do the criminals go to register?
They don't have to. It violates their 5th amendment rights not to self incriminate.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 06:58 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 33,799 Times in 8,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFirepower View Post
Well, if we're speaking technically, then the BATF must dispose of the sales records in a timely fashion (generally understood to be about a year, and no longer than 5). The BATF has been challenged on backdoor registration before, and lost. They still, however, continue to break the order of the courts and keep sales records that are used to "backdoor register" for criminal investigations and such.
Don't like it? Vote about it.
When I said,"technically...your rifle isn't registered", I seriously almost wrote,"but there is still a 'de facto' registration."
The Following User Says Thank You to MIL-DOT For This Useful Post: