Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

There is a time for talking, but after a certain point the time for talk is over. I would just not bring it up anymore and keep preparing. Be satisfied just knowing you're prepared. Eventually someone may ask you to teach them about it. It's like trying to win someone over to your religion, so to speak. They won't hear it until they're ready.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cwbys4evr For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM

I used to get this all the time from my wife's family. Year-round. I dont live in the same town as them any longer, so I dont engage like I used to. Therefore, I have more sanity these days....but still...irritating.

My wife has broken away from her sheep mentality over the years...it was a painfully slow process, but the power of influence is really strong..she eventually began to believe the same things that I do, after conversations between her and I about how things are...I have long been a student of history, and presenting current events in the context of historical events helped her to grasp the realities.

As for the families.....there is little hope. They have to awaken themselves. Just go about your business, and discuss the larger world with your wife at appropriate times. You will know when those opportunities present themselves. Be patient, and stay the course.

I take a perverse sense of pride in the knowledge that my wife's family thinks I am nuts.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rugerman63 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Recent Blog: Atlanta, Georgia
The 5 will survive.....

Thanked 54,372 Times in 17,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosinka View Post
I don't get it. You only have 2 hands. How will you use *all*those guns in a pinch?
Spare parts I get. Having a few I get, but just hoarding them seems pointless or worse, a hindrance in case you need to run. Not to mention the fact that that money can be put to much better use for food, water, fuel, college for the kids, etc.
Mosinka, I have a husband and 2 sons and lots of neighbors who I care for very much. They're all going to have to help defend our little neighborhood while I garden and care for chickens and my sons new puppy!

Hopefully the guns will just sit in the safe and I can dole them out as Christmas presents to my boys as we all get older. I just like knowing they're there if we need them.

You should have seen the fit my husband threw when I drove up with a 1,500 gallon water tank in the bed of my truck! I wasn't able to hide that!

As for food, I'm into the whole 5 gallon buckets and mylar thing. I have an orchard and large garden using heirloom seeds. I saved jillions of seeds this year also. Way more than I can use but not enough if SHTF and I have to share with neighbors.

I also learned how to wax cheese! Now that's a luxury SHTF food!

Last edited by Mogli; 12-27-2012 at 03:21 PM..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mogli For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Trapper

HornedOne,

Thanks for your post, yes watch/observe/learn, share when possible, and CELEBRATE the day (everyday). I have several young children, we frolic, play and carry on. and we will CARRY ON on their behalf, in everyway.

I too am frustrated with the "sports, TV and pop culture" garbage in the world. Ultimeately it is THEIR life to live, just as I want respect for my choices, so to I will grant them. I just feel bad for the lack of "big picture" in all of our lives. We could do so much more, good for everyone on the planet if people were just paying attention......Oh well.

Jronwood
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jronwood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Recent Blog: Atlanta, Georgia
The 5 will survive.....

Thanked 54,372 Times in 17,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberman View Post
In fact I really didn't say anything that day. They were warning me before we got to the libtards. Telling me to behave. I hate to be told what to do or say, or how to act.
Ah ha! I was so worried about my sister in law, a rabid liberal, saying something to warn me against a political conversation. I was just going to remind her about the freedom of speech. But she never said a word, neither did I, and we had a great time.

That's why I like SB so much! You guys are almost the only people I get to talk to on a regular basis about current affairs considering I live in Ca. Try to talk to some of these people and they want to stone me!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mogli For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,946 Times in 1,362 Posts

you should only listen to the voices in your head
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmando For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 PM

Default You are in thier lives for a reason...you do not need them to know it.

Saber, some are shepherds and some are sheep. You are not crazy, you simply view things in a different perspective than your family. Trying to change the view of a sheep is not as simple as showing a thirsty sheep water. You see, the sheep has a very different view of the environment.

Even if a sheep is dying of thirst they will not cross hostile ground alone to get to the water. It is in their nature to herd and in this they perceive their safety. This is ingrained in them by nature and most attempts to alter this will be met with exactly what you experienced. Their thoughts and ideas are valid. Yours are simply different.

Before I go any further I would like to say that without sheep there are no shepherds and without shepherds there would still be sheep. Shepherds are not necessarily leaders, they are people that view situations and ultimately society in a very different way than most. They are Farmers, thinkers, warriors, artists and more,

Due to our view of society and your anxiety over it, I would give you this advice.

Saber, wake up...you do not need them to understand what you are doing, explain it and move on. Also realize you have a duty to them to protect them. In the end...do what you know is right and when questioned just say...because I love you.

This is a subject that effects most of us, thank you for asking it.

GR
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geronimoreborn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by jronwood View Post
HornedOne,

I too am frustrated with the "sports, TV and pop culture" garbage in the world.

American Horror Story and The Walking Dead are awesome! Them and FoxNews are the only reasons I pay for cable.
The Following User Says Thank You to tobincreek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,338 Times in 6,633 Posts

My Christmas went something like this- passed out gifts to the kids.

Son got a CRKT folder, clothes, Call of Duty Black Ops 2, clothes, and a brick of .22lr.

Daughters got CD's, first aid kits, clothes some toys, each a leatherman.

Wife got new DVD player, 2 more mags for her .380, and a new compass.

I got a brick of 9mm, some clothes, and a couple of books.

Gave my parents and brother ammo, books, and a cutlery set each.

Welcome to reality......It's not immigration it's an invasion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 04:26 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 2,530 Times in 974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberman View Post
I really need to know if anyone else is experiencing this same thing. My Christmas started normally exchanging gifts between my wife and daughter and myself. By the end of the day we were fighting and not talking anymore. First I must say that my wifes side of the family are all clueless liberal arsehoils. I am a Republican. That being said I want to share some of the quotes that were thrown my way by my own family on the way home from Christmas dinner. "You've changed, you're mad all the time." You're mad at everyone." "All you talk about is politics, news, foreign affairs." All you talk about is guns." You changed five years ago." There were more I just can't remember. I can not have an itelligent conversation with anyone in my family. This is very frustrating. My wife and daughter are oblivious to the world around them. Yes I'm mad at the way things are going in this country and around the world. I am a productive member of society. Never received a dime of unemployement or any other kind of public assisstance. I do have guns, I do have backpacks of all sizes, I do have knives, axes, machetes, and bears oh my. I do have many stoves for backpacking and fuel. I do have several tents, sleeping bags. I do have ammo, and flashlights, compasses and fire starter many kinds. Dry sacks, stuff sacks. And much more, all collected over my adult life. So does this make me crazy I ask? Just because I cant talk about Judge Judy or who is on the Voice. I'm crazy. And if you notice the time frame it seems they noticed this change around the time BHO started to run for POTUS. I don't want to have to dumb down my conversations. I get in the car with my wife and mention something about Libya and a blank look comes over her face. First thing out of her mouth "I don't want to talk about it." Because I'm aware of what is going on I'm crazy. Oh and in my preps I always make sure everyone has what they would need like their own sleeping bag. Crazy father I am. Is there anyone else going through this?
No you are a Patriot for seeing what is the new reality. That reality I'm afraid, is that we are going to have to repeat history with a little Tea Party of our own. Modern age style.

Just imagine what our Forefathers went through when they went against the Tyranny?

This book will help anyone who was taught the revisionist history like I and so many others were taught in our public schools.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heartlander For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM
My Dixie Wrecked

Thanked 16,801 Times in 4,711 Posts

I make it a point not to talk politics or religion when in large groups of family or friends

If they try to talk politics or religion, I let them know that I won't discuss them.

You would be surprised what a difference it makes too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Herp Derp

Thanked 1,584 Times in 511 Posts

Looks like you're surrounded by a bunch of blind sheep.

My advice would be to pick up some hobbies that your family would consider interesting. Maybe read some pop culture books or start watching some stupid popular tv shows. Just something to talk about and keep the sheep calm.

I picked up painting not too long ago. I'm horrible and just paint random abstract things, but it can keep the family comfortably talking for a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to Demianu27 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Target Shooter

When somebody says 'you are mad all the time' without being able to back that up IMO that is a form of abuse. Mild, but abuse all the same. It is a generalization and a personal attack. They need to be able to back that up.

As for Libya pffft. Americans have been getting killed in embassies since Carter and Reagan. Does anybody honestly care unless we are talking large numbers of people? Or is it just political brinksmanship? Ever since the Iraq war, and probably since at least Vietnam I have lost faith that people in this country really care about the deaths of those they do not know or serve with or are part of their oraganization. Actually I think that is true for the 5 different countries I have lived in.
The Following User Says Thank You to loltraktor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 PM
Senior Jr Member

I'm the one that recently started Preparing for ??? Hard Times. It is not something I talk to my husband about because the time I did it only brought about him saying "Just shoot me if it ever happens - I'd end up dying anyways"...not really something I like to hear or think about. Love the man, but his life is difficult as it is being a high level paraplegic having to be in an electric chair now. So I explain it as preparing only if the power goes out - for a short while - so he doesn't dwell on it, and of course you need supplies for that! So now he jokingly call me his Prepper wife! But, as I am Canadian I am not allowed to own a gun. You have to be an American citizen. My boys can though so maybe they can help me out with that part of it. Some people just can't handle truth, so if you love them just prepare for them on the side and keep the conversation light.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Suebeedo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Get off my ice.

Thanked 35,750 Times in 8,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebeedo View Post
I'm the one that recently started Preparing for ??? Hard Times. It is not something I talk to my husband about because the time I did it only brought about him saying "Just shoot me if it ever happens - I'd end up dying anyways"...not really something I like to hear or think about. Love the man, but his life is difficult as it is being a high level paraplegic having to be in an electric chair now. So I explain it as preparing only if the power goes out - for a short while - so he doesn't dwell on it, and of course you need supplies for that! So now he jokingly call me his Prepper wife! But, as I am Canadian I am not allowed to own a gun. You have to be an American citizen. My boys can though so maybe they can help me out with that part of it. Some people just can't handle truth, so if you love them just prepare for them on the side and keep the conversation light.
If you're living in the US and your kids are American (so I'm guessing you've been there a while) why not get your US citizenship? Clearly you've decided to make your life in the US, you should work towards having all the same rights as any other citizen. I would.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve28 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve28 View Post
If you're living in the US and your kids are American (so I'm guessing you've been there a while) why not get your US citizenship? Clearly you've decided to make your life in the US, you should work towards having all the same rights as any other citizen. I would.
Yeah, become an American, then you can start littering and stop apologizing! You won't have to drink that crappy Molson swill anymore, either.
The Following User Says Thank You to tobincreek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Get off my ice.

Thanked 35,750 Times in 8,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobincreek View Post
Yeah, become an American, then you can start littering and stop apologizing! You won't have to drink that crappy Molson swill anymore, either.
Plus Washington is simply beautiful.

(The state not that other place)

If I had to leave Canada it's in the top 4 states I'd like to move to. The other top states are Oregon, Alaska and Maine.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 PM
I saw a dang stranger

Thanked 5,297 Times in 1,753 Posts

People don't want to talk about this kind of stuff, like your wife, because they're scared. They're scared of being scared. They think that if they don't think about something, it will magically go away. They live in their little fantasy world where everything will be OK.

If you talk about anything that is outside of mainstream, you're considered crazy.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Senior Jr Member

Don't know what littering and stopping apologizing has to do with being an American citizen?
Eastern Washington is beautiful as is north of Spokane [but we are out of room -seems that everyone is saying that]. If you like Alaska then you should look into Northern British Columbia. All my family is in Beautiful British Columbia except for my sons and their step-dad, I should be able to be Grandmothered-in? ha ha - as now have one of those too. But, what other benefits are there for me to become a US citizen except to vote and own a gun? I pay taxes, own a home (the bank helps me own one that is), have a job and put into Social Security which may not be around in the future anyways...but we are getting off topic. Thanks for your comments :D
Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 13,516 Times in 6,063 Posts

They say you have changed and become obsessed and unpleasant. Just because you prep doesn't mean you should stop celebrating life and show love for your family and friends! A disaster might kill half of them off and then I think you will forget those little quarrels you had with them and you will wonder why you didn't love and appreciate them.

You are just putting yourself and family under needless stress. Stress is a killer. Care about your body and soul. And cheer up and have some fun once in a while. It doesn't take away from prepping. It actually helps and give you joy and a reason to live.

Don't stop prepping and no talking about Judge Judy LOL. But seriously, even the Bible say there is a time for work and a time for play. You are alienating people, the ones you want to be able to trust and know. Start working on your social skills. It's not needed always be "right" and blast your opinions. There is a time for that but that time is not "always". Take care of each other and build bonds. Reduce your stress. And stop being a grump. A human is more than that. Who wants to learn from a grump anyway?
The Following User Says Thank You to speedofl33t For This Useful Post: