Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2012, 12:24 PM
The End is Near

Thanked 1,213 Times in 474 Posts
Default Preppers will die in WROL

Advertise Here

I found a lot of truth in what this soldier is saying !

The Following 111 Users Say Thank You to pthor For This Useful Post:
590, aerbourne, American ME!, Athanasius, BASS, Beatupoldcop, bestshot_1, BHump, BIGROCK, Bisquitlips, Blackrock, BloodCarver, Brenda, brookman007, Bruce001, Bunker Hill, Burnzy, Bushrat, CA357, catfish hunter, Charles Martel, chris33177, ColoAngus, Corsican, Damien4166, Damo1922, docarchilles, Dragunov, Dude111, evilblackgunsrfun, exetermedic101, fullmetal, FWFRazorX, goodkind33, grant80, Griff, GunsMudandMakeup, Gypsymoonfarm, HandLoad, Heather86, Horsecreeker, Hunter87, idawg, Inazone, IowaRenegade, jeffreyclay, jetgraphics, Jim23080, John J. Rambo, Karnus, keeperhuntn, Kivuli, law573, LLX45, lobo11, loltraktor, Marcie, marines, maygirl, Meat Guy, meghan5117, Metcalf, miglelo, Mjbarb, mrbillybob, MT Jake, muttmaster, newtoothis, Northernmaine, Ohionative, oire, OKGlocker, orbean, outside the box, patriot Bob, PhillySurvivalist, pmwizard, Porkchop Samich, RazorCityDen, Red31, Reed, Revelation, Scott W, Shebow, SirThrivalist, sirtomprice, sky walker, sonya1, Southern3, sportzkardnutt, Steve28, Steve37, stillnothere, Suebeedo, Sumatra, Survival Helper, TasKit, TBA, TedP, TheTexasHammer, Vectorwoman, verge, walfootrot, warlord, Watch Ryder, waywardbills, Wazza, Writer's Block, Yehudi, zula, {|Long<>Knife|}
Old 12-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,264 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthor View Post
I found a lot of truth in what this soldier is saying !

Preppers will die in WROL - YouTube
I agree! Much truth in what he has to say.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Expatman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,081 Times in 937 Posts

Lots of people of all sorts would die WROL. IMO "preppers" stand a better chance of surviving until some sort of order is re-established than most other groups because their food crisis will be delayed compared to others.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 PM
land of the free?

Maybe a dumb question but whats WROL?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alig33 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Get off my ice.

Thanked 31,786 Times in 8,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alig33 View Post
Maybe a dumb question but whats WROL?
Without rule of law.

Edit: List of acronyms:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=8111
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Steve28 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Recent Blog: Moved to WordPress
Target Shooter

Beautiful thing, this Internet. Anybody can jump up on Youtube and post a video.

Back when we called ourselves "survivalists" we were a lot less politically correct and didn't have any compunctions against the Kurt Saxon, FM 5-25, and TM 31-210 stuff that most people are afraid to talk about these days because they don't want their door kicked in at 3AM and their kittens stomped to death.

Nor did we think the end-all-be-all to preparedness was an M4orgery with 20 pounds of fooferaw slapped on the picatinny rails.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 PM
This is a great survival forum

Ah, muscle memory. I was at the range a couple of days ago and their were several younger LEO's there. Shooting their AR-15's. one experienced a miss fire. Round went pop instead of bang. He set his rifle down and drew his pistol and continued to fire. when he was done he holstered his pistol and picked up the rifle dumped the magazine and cleared the weapon. He never checked down the barrel. He put a fresh magazine into the rifle, jacked a round and thats where I stopped him. I suggested that he might want to clear his rifle and then open it up and check to see if the dud round had cleared the barrel. The bullet was only half way down the barrel. He thanked me. Failure to fire / stoppage drills. Drilled into me in the 70's, if it goes pop, stop and check it out. :-)
Old 12-27-2012, 02:33 PM

Muscle memory definately is important because many times survival will boil down to reflex not thought process, seconds vs. minutes.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere07 View Post
Muscle memory definately is important because many times survival will boil down to reflex not thought process, seconds vs. minutes.
In a panic situation the majority of people lose their fine motor skills and can't make their fingers work right. It becomes very difficult to clear a jammed gun, open a locked door, etc...

If you don't have a LOT of training to fall back on then that loss of "muscle memory" can kill you.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ScottyGunn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Angry ol' coot

Thanked 10,380 Times in 2,676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere07 View Post
Many of us played sports at one time or another. We didn't learn how to bat, pitch, shoot baskets, pass, kick, jump, run...without years of practice to be good, if not great, at any of these.

We trust, we can survive without doing the same repitition and dedication we had in sports?

This is a wakeup call for me too.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to NoOzone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Prepared

He's 100% right. PERIOD.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Burnzy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,153 Times in 2,266 Posts

I think the biggest thing about this video, when I first saw it and now, was a simple and personal thing for each watcher:

Can you admit he is right?

Can you accept it?

Can you accept you may well be one of the ones to die?

Can you accept it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 PM
III%

Thanked 26,650 Times in 3,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer's Block View Post
I think the biggest thing about this video, when I first saw it and now, was a simple and personal thing for each watcher:

Can you admit he is right?

Can you accept it?

Can you accept you may well be one of the ones to die?

Can you accept it?
Admitting the possibility is one thing, accepting failure is completely different. If you accept failure, you fail, plain and simple.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Sweeper80 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticom View Post
Beautiful thing, this Internet. Anybody can jump up on Youtube and post a video.

Back when we called ourselves "survivalists" we were a lot less politically correct and didn't have any compunctions against the Kurt Saxon, FM 5-25, and TM 31-210 stuff that most people are afraid to talk about these days because they don't want their door kicked in at 3AM and their kittens stomped to death.

Nor did we think the end-all-be-all to preparedness was an M4orgery with 20 pounds of fooferaw slapped on the picatinny rails.
And we had to WALK to school. EIGHT miles. In the SNOW. Uphill. BOTH WAYS! Now you damn kids GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!

Just kidding, man. Right there with ya. But I do worry about my kittens being stomped (and my dog shot).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iiioxx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Old guy who plans ahead

Thanked 3,901 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Preppers will die in WROL
Preppers, and everyone else, will eventually die anyway. We're all mortal and there is no escape.

My understanding was that the whole point of prepping was to postpone it for as long as possible.

Since surviving is my goal, I don't plan on going out and engaging anyone in combat. Exchanging gunfire in running firefight is not conducive to extending my lifespan. I'm not in the military, I can't call in air support, artillery support, I don't have snipers on my side and I'm not supported by crew served, belt fed, automatic weapons. I see my best bet for survival as removing myself from danger.

I'd opt for strict adherence to the gray man practice. Blend in, keep a low profile and don't make yourself noticeable. That way when looting riots break out or terrorists try to take over a shopping mall, you won't be the one that is shot to make an example out of.

The preferred tactics I'd use is situational awareness and common sense. I don't go to places where riots typically break out and I avoid large crowds that might be tempting to terrorists (football stadiums, concerts, shopping malls, etc).

If I should find myself in dangerous situation where the rule of law is not being observed, then my preferred methods are escape and evasion, camouflage and concealment, silent movement and a burning desire to get the heck away from the danger.

Others may disagree, but since my goal is surviving, I'm not planning on going out on any combat patrols into dangerous and hostile territory. If I have to move at all, I'll be quietly sneaking through the woods, off road and trying real hard to be invisible about it.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,312 Posts

so what was the purpose of this discourse? lot of people will die in a major shtf scenario, including preppers, noone is bulletproof...Also, I would venture to guess that 90% of the people realize that combat is not fun...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to manisonenmi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Prepared

His argument is that the Mall Ninjas and Rambos out there who are more tacticool than tactical will go in guns blazing, and then be surprised when they find out there is no respawn in real life.

There are people like this out there, and it's pretty scary:
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to tobincreek For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 AM

This guy is 100% right in what he is saying, people do not even realize what its like on a 2 way range. Even with all of my training I was not prepared for it. Good thing I was with more experienced soldiers cause I just stood there in a daze..... if my Sgt didnt snap me out of it I would have been toast.... so anyone who thinks that "hey I play Call of Duty I am ready" reality will set in.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Damien4166 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Baal Sheeple

Thanked 13,692 Times in 5,240 Posts

Being bored I listened to it. Reasonable start but his conclusions are strictly combat focused. So in the end he falls for the same mindset he warns against. The fact he recommends constant practice to be a super warrior and large stockpiles of ammunition suggests to me that he has not finished his thought process.

The talk about pistols vs rifles was a classic use of cliche. Not to mention his disdain of button pushers that had no idea about combat. Strange he says to not underestimate your opponent, that a untrained person with a inferior weapon can kill you from ambush, and yet he makes that same mistake during his speech. Based on his world view I would have to conclude that your only chance in a apocalypse was to kill before being killed. However there is a real old statement that provides a different approach.

"If you can't beat them, join them."
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Fenced In

Thanked 1,119 Times in 565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxx View Post
Others may disagree, but since my goal is surviving, I'm not planning on going out on any combat patrols into dangerous and hostile territory. If I have to move at all, I'll be quietly sneaking through the woods, off road and trying real hard to be invisible about it.
I think the greater concern WROL would be defending yourself at home or while going about necessary tasks that may take you away from home. If things are so bad that there are heavily-armed "bad guys" running amok, and in such numbers that intervention by law enforcement or military is right out the window, it will be past the point of riots and looters at the grocery store. While I personally prefer a handgun for personal and home defense, that's assuming we're living in (as the video states) "civilized" conditions, where a would-be burglar or mugger is still fearful of getting caught. Once things have escalated to a level where there is nobody to call for help, those same burglars and muggers will be hoping for unprepared or unarmed victims, knowing that there's no cop just around the corner or a 911 call away.

Point being, going to gather firewood or trade with a neighbor could put you at risk as much as walking across a minefield. It will be when doing the most mundane, day-to-day tasks that people will be in the most danger . . . if things ever get as bad as the video portrays.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inazone For This Useful Post: