Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2012, 03:09 PM

Advertise Here

I love my hardcore hardware tomahawk. I have the lft01. I haven't found anything it won't do. It breaches well chops decently and quarters game extremely well.

Www.hardcorehardware.com.au
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darkness For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Target Shooter

Definately agree with the Emerson CQC-T. Awesome bit of kit.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I loved this form

Thanked 1,159 Times in 636 Posts

Those Aussie hawks are gorgeous!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 AM

I don't think of a tomahawk as a weapon, as much as a tool. I prefer poll axe styles of tomahawks. Hawks from 2Hawks are outstanding quality. They are handmade but their price is not too expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to GunznGear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 02:20 AM
I loved this form

Thanked 1,159 Times in 636 Posts

Welcome. Good to see you made it over.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I love my hardcore hardware tomahawk. I have the lft01. I haven't found anything it won't do. It breaches well chops decently and quarters game extremely well.

Www.hardcorehardware.com.au
Those are nice. Are they available in the U.S.?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Blame Canada.

Thanked 2,203 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenul View Post
Tomahawks are multipurpose weapons and I find using these are best for a weapon and a tool. In your opinion, what's a good tomahawk?
I like the trail hawk from cold steel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vacas Locas For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,124 Times in 499 Posts

Some really nice hawks on this thread. I have a SOG Fusion as part of my BOB. But given the dearth of times I have used it or its predecessor, I can't justify the coin for another one.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Trapper

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 1

http://selfrelianceessentials.com/category/tomahawks/
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Nothing beats a Sayoc Winkler Hawk. I don't own one, but I've held and practiced with one, and the quality is even higher than the price tag ($740-790 + shipping). One day...

Pic courtesy of BladeForums. http://sayocwinklerhawk.com/

RMJ is also outstanding.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 PM
crabby old bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woksape View Post
Nothing beats a Sayoc Winkler Hawk. I don't own one, but I've held and practiced with one, and the quality is even higher than the price tag ($740-790 + shipping). One day...

Pic courtesy of BladeForums. http://sayocwinklerhawk.com/

RMJ is also outstanding.
How could the quality possibly exceed such a HUGE price tag? Despite sayin' what other folks here already did, the Rifleman's Hawk made by Cold Steel is top notch. Keeps an edge well and I like the hammer on the other side. Owned the Rifleman's Hawk for a while now and it's held up to a fair ammount of work. Not to mention it costs a fraction of what that does.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Prepared

My "best" tomahawk is the other guys hawk. I have stumps set up in a frame that we throw at and the hawks get beat up like crazy. I'm always replacing handles and grinding out a variety of damages, but it is fun.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corvus 41 View Post
How could the quality possibly exceed such a HUGE price tag? Despite sayin' what other folks here already did, the Rifleman's Hawk made by Cold Steel is top notch. Keeps an edge well and I like the hammer on the other side. Owned the Rifleman's Hawk for a while now and it's held up to a fair ammount of work. Not to mention it costs a fraction of what that does.
You really have to hold one. Feels incredibly well-built, the edge is the sharpest I've seen, the curved handle is very ergonomic, the weight is perfect. It's like the difference between a Busse and a less expensive knife. Most people don't need to go to that level nor do they want to spend that kind of money, but the option is there for those who do. I just wanted to put it out there.

On a more wallet-friendly note, I wasn't impressed with the Cold Steel Trench Hawk, but I haven't used the Rifleman. I'll have to see if I can find one in-store somewhere. Haven't held the SOG either. I guess the real question is what does the OP plan to use the tomahawk for?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 AM
crabby old bird

Quote:
You really have to hold one. Feels incredibly well-built, the edge is the sharpest I've seen, the curved handle is very ergonomic, the weight is perfect. It's like the difference between a Busse and a less expensive knife. Most people don't need to go to that level nor do they want to spend that kind of money, but the option is there for those who do. I just wanted to put it out there.

On a more wallet-friendly note, I wasn't impressed with the Cold Steel Trench Hawk, but I haven't used the Rifleman. I'll have to see if I can find one in-store somewhere. Haven't held the SOG either. I guess the real question is what does the OP plan to use the tomahawk for?
Would say almost the same things about my Rifleman's Hawk. Except it did need some work on the edge at first. The Rifleman's Hawk is also well-built, I have taken it camping numerous times and used it around the yard. Neither the handle or head ever gave me any trouble. After putting a better edge on it the tomahawk has done very well in chopping and holding an edge. The weight 'n balance seem ok as well.

My point is that for the money that tomahawk costs, it would have to seriously out-perform lesser costing ones before it appeared to be a feasable investment. Far as Busse knives go, I have seen and used a couple. They have quality behind them and keep a good egde. Yet I own far less expensive knives that in my opionion would easily perform as well if not better than Busse knives. Thier 'infini' steel doesn't impress me that much. Honestly I think it's a lot about looks and names here and not quality.

The Trench Hawk you spoke of didn't impress me either. I wouldn't compare it to other Cold Steel products in the tomahawk line. Far as the Sog is concerned, I bought a couple of those Fast Hawk models and seem to find it necessary to resharpen them a lot. Maybe others feel different. Have a freind who swears by the Ontario hawks, yet I have no experience with them.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJAY View Post
The RMJ Jenny Wren is amazing. Everything RMJ makes is top quality. Winkler makes some great tomahawks as well. Ofcourse I consider these to be top of the line. They are pricey, but the best.
I am agree with you. You are absolutely right.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Frozen North Survivalist

Thanked 3,389 Times in 1,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikieG View Post
SOG fusion. Had it 3 years now. Still goin strong!
I was looking at one of them yesterday, the only reason I didn't get it was that I haven't read any reviews on it yet.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corvus 41 View Post
Would say almost the same things about my Rifleman's Hawk. Except it did need some work on the edge at first. The Rifleman's Hawk is also well-built, I have taken it camping numerous times and used it around the yard. Neither the handle or head ever gave me any trouble. After putting a better edge on it the tomahawk has done very well in chopping and holding an edge. The weight 'n balance seem ok as well.

My point is that for the money that tomahawk costs, it would have to seriously out-perform lesser costing ones before it appeared to be a feasable investment. Far as Busse knives go, I have seen and used a couple. They have quality behind them and keep a good egde. Yet I own far less expensive knives that in my opionion would easily perform as well if not better than Busse knives. Thier 'infini' steel doesn't impress me that much. Honestly I think it's a lot about looks and names here and not quality.

The Trench Hawk you spoke of didn't impress me either. I wouldn't compare it to other Cold Steel products in the tomahawk line. Far as the Sog is concerned, I bought a couple of those Fast Hawk models and seem to find it necessary to resharpen them a lot. Maybe others feel different. Have a freind who swears by the Ontario hawks, yet I have no experience with them.
I hear that, the law of diminishing returns definitely kicks in once you get past a certain level of quality, and in some cases you get far more or less than you pay for. Plus, if you're looking for a tool first and a weapon second, it needs to be replaceable. Once I get my ESEE-6 (which is no Busse, but nor is it chump change for a broke college student ), it'll sit on my hip when I go backpacking, but at least one of my Moras will always be in my pack.

After a quick bit of Googling, I found that the SOG Fusion is made of 420 stainless steel, which I've never cared for. Cold Steel on the other hand uses 1055 Carbon for their blades, which holds an edge pretty well and is tough enough for most tomahawk-related tasks. Wally World has the Rifleman listed on their website - I'll take a look next time I'm over there.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msirishman View Post
Those are nice. Are they available in the U.S.?
I picked mine up on eBay. But there's also a store out there online if you google it.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:06 PM
crabby old bird

Quote:
I hear that, the law of diminishing returns definitely kicks in once you get past a certain level of quality, and in some cases you get far more or less than you pay for. Plus, if you're looking for a tool first and a weapon second, it needs to be replaceable. Once I get my ESEE-6 (which is no Busse, but nor is it chump change for a broke college student ), it'll sit on my hip when I go backpacking, but at least one of my Moras will always be in my pack.

After a quick bit of Googling, I found that the SOG Fusion is made of 420 stainless steel, which I've never cared for. Cold Steel on the other hand uses 1055 Carbon for their blades, which holds an edge pretty well and is tough enough for most tomahawk-related tasks. Wally World has the Rifleman listed on their website - I'll take a look next time I'm over there.
Funny you should mention the SOG being made of 420. My neighbor just chipped the blade on his and is now going to buy a Cold Steel after using mine.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:48 PM
You should see my closet

I just got a hardcore hammer axe/hammer/tomahawk and it's pretty cool. Bigger and heavier than I thought it would be. Sharp out of the box, I'm a huge Wetterlings guy so I want to see how it compares to my wildlife axe. But I think it will work great for car camping at the very least. Plus I love that it's made in the USA.