Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 AM

Default How close is too close to a nuclear power plant?

Advertise Here

A power plant meltdown is not really on my list of top concerns, but I just recently learned that the closest nuclear plant is only 16 miles away from my home. I used this online app to find out:
http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/n...nts_locations/

What do you think about this site? Does 10 miles seem like a small radius for safe air in the event of a catastrophe?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monty Carlo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 AM

Yes, 10 miles doesn't seem too far in the event of a catastrophe. However I have a fairly high bar for a catastrophe, think Chernobyl. In general I wouldn't worry about being 16 miles from a reactor, but if there is a catastrophe you might be in trouble.

Numerous places on the earth are in a similar predicament, if the worse happens, the residents are in trouble.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Recent Blog:
Tuefel Hunden

If it has a meltdown you cannot get far enough away, fast enough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_meltdown
http://www.informationclearinghouse....ticle27695.htm
Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 AM
欺骗,诱骗,混淆

Thanked 6,936 Times in 2,066 Posts

10-25 miles might be on the outskirts of the zone of incineration
100 miles might be outside of the zone of leeching
1000 miles might be outside of the zone of fallout.

It would all be situation dependent of course. A meltdown is extremely hard to achieve with the numerous fail-safes they have in current designs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adam35 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 AM

Look at the situation in Japan last year. The fallout from that disaster could be detected halfway across the ocean.

No matter how far you are from a nuclear plant, having a dosimeter would be an essential bug out bag item if you're serious about the nuclear scenario.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Non Sheeple

Time to invest in a good CBRN shelter I'm thinking.
16 miles away, it's going to have to be a REALLY good one.
Personally I'd sell up and move, far. far away.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Plan Z: Run!

Thanked 19,880 Times in 8,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
10-25 miles might be on the outskirts of the zone of incineration
100 miles might be outside of the zone of leeching
1000 miles might be outside of the zone of fallout.

It would all be situation dependent of course. A meltdown is extremely hard to achieve with the numerous fail-safes they have in current designs.
. . . so like dude, how many megaton do you think the blast will be?

The Soviets moved everyone within 19 miles of the Chernobyl. Also, Chernobyl did not have a containment building.

I have a Flux Capacitor to backup everything I say!
The Following User Says Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Anvils and Welders

Thanked 18,909 Times in 3,486 Posts

The five closest nuke plants to me are from 513 miles to 648 miles away. Of the five, one is pretty much due east and the remaining four are southeast. I know there are some to the west by northwest of my location, but i will have to look up there distance from me. Atleast they are'nt the ones I am closest to.

Google "closest nuclear power plant to me" and it will take you to several sites where you can enter your adress or zipcode.

Tex
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,771 Times in 467 Posts

We've worked nuclear power for the past 12 years. For 10 years, we lived just within 10 miles of the country's largest nuke plant. My oldest son, his wife and their baby are 3 miles away from the plant. Now we've moved to a different plant and are renting 50 miles away, just because that's all we could find.

We know the safety systems of the plants we've worked at, we know how the domes are built, and we feel perfectly comfortable 10-20 miles out.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marjorie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaDavid View Post
Look at the situation in Japan last year. The fallout from that disaster could be detected halfway across the ocean.

actually the fallout from the recent Japan incident was detected on the rooftops of buildings in Cleveland Ohio ... granted it was barely detectable and couldn't cause any harm it still made it that far if not further... just not reported ...
Old 12-27-2012, 11:41 AM
欺骗,诱骗,混淆

Thanked 6,936 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9111315 View Post

The Soviets moved everyone within 19 miles of the Chernobyl. Also, Chernobyl did not have a containment building.
It would probably be a meltdown more than a blast, for the "zone of incineration" it would realistically be passive irradiation which would still cook you in a small range and a little bit slower and more painfully. Now compile all that material together and strap some charges around it in a pretty shape, and you could probably have the makings of a good bomb. A 1 Megaton explosion yields enough power to burn flesh out to about 10 miles.

It will inherently depend on the plant size and situation, but the numbers that were listed are a liberal estimate. However, if a blast radius on a bomb is only 7 miles, and I live 8 miles away, I don't think I would personally cut back on my health insurance

With the safeguards of today though, I would suspect maybe 1-2 miles of irradiation, but leaching might still go far.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,283 Times in 733 Posts

The most critical piece of info is: are you downwind 16 miles? If "yes" it is way too close.
If I were 200 miles downwind I would definitely invest in a shelter and at least a nukealert, while sensitive low range detector would be valuable. By the way, ALL of Japan was heavily irradiated by Fukushima. I have studied the labs observations personally, not relying on anyones opinion.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM

I'm only 12 miles from our plant..about 3 weeks ago they sent everyone in the county a evacuation map,according to that I'm outside of the evacuation area.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Prepared

I'd be more worried of being hit by a falling asteroid than having an issue near a nuclear power plant. Been working in one for years...I see no issues with being near one.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZMagic97 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Recent Blog: Moved to WordPress
Target Shooter

EPZ is 10 miles radius. Secondary Alpha emitter concern is 50 miles. That info is directly from the local OEM office within the EPZ of a nuke plant. I'd make it at least 50 miles. The further away the better, like with any nuke stuff.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Blast? Duh. Maximum enrichment at a commercial power plant is less than 1/10 necessary to achieve a nuclear explosion. Meltdown, possibly. However the Fukashima Site had 10 separate plants/reactors. Only the oldest 2 actually experienced the meltdown. They were built to standards of the 60s, not current standards.

How do I know this, degrees in nuke engineering, 30 years experience at the plants, including as a licensed senior operator and a government inspector.
The Following User Says Thank You to greytoothe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,212 Times in 2,478 Posts

Ten miles is too close. Fifty miles is too close depending on prevailing winds. Likely everything within a hundred miles will be evacuated. Return will depend on the magnitude of the disaster.

Former CBR Officer
Old 10-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9111315 View Post

Well if 19 mile radius is the NO GO zone for Chernobyl I'd want to be at least double that.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Senior Reactor Operator

Thanked 1,819 Times in 633 Posts

Blast? Incineration? Seriously? I thought we were talking about nuclear reactors, not nuclear weapons.

Chernobyl was a steam explosion that blew it's pressure vessel head through the roof and onto the roof of the building next door. Then with all the water having escaped as steam, no cooling, it melted the fuel and core structural materials into a pile of molten metal which quickly cooled into a solid mass.

Nuclear reactors CANNOT detonate into a nuclear blast. The risk is a power transient, substantial step reactivity insertion, or loss of coolant accident. Extreme cases of those can cause cladding plates or tubes to rupture, releasing fuel and fission products to the coolant channels, creating steam.

Back in the early 60's, the army ran a reactor in Idaho called SL-1. It was a 400KW reactor. An operator pulled on a stuck control rod and it released, pulling the rod almost a foot out, instantly. The reactor spiked to 20,000 MW in under half a second. The pressure vessel bulged/expanded from the increase in pressure, almost 6 inches all the way around. The steam bubble that formed, formed so rapidly and violently, it ejected the control rod the operator had pulled on, impaling him to the roof with it, above the core. The steam bubble also slammed into the top of the pressure vessel head with such force that it lifted the entire pressure vessel up several feet, sheering the cooling piping from the pressure vessel.

Less than 100 curies of I-131 was released, and just over 1000 curies of all other fission products. And this wasn't a containment building, it was a converted barn. To put that in perspective, a typical industrial radiography source, for x-rays of welds, concrete, etc... runs between 30 and 100 curies, and are shielded by 4" to 24" of steel or lead, so the operators can handle them with almost zero dose until the source is removed from the shielding.

Needless to say, the government took away the army's keys and never let them have another nuclear reactor...

By the way, I live 3.2 miles from the reactor I work at, which is located on a University campus in the middle of town.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,924 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Carlo View Post
A power plant meltdown is not really on my list of top concerns, but I just recently learned that the closest nuclear plant is only 16 miles away from my home. I used this online app to find out:
http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/n...nts_locations/

What do you think about this site? Does 10 miles seem like a small radius for safe air in the event of a catastrophe?
Not to be a pain, but what did the Evacuation plan say when you pulled it?
You did read that before commenting, right?
It is a public document and if your that close, should be read.
Or, is this just to get others all jacked up?