Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM

Default What being sick has taught me:

Advertise Here

1. Without your health, you have nothing.

2. I need to double...maybe even triple...our OTC meds. We used alot more than I would have anticipated. I mean ALOT more. Total rethinking our our preps here.

3. I need to add alot more Lysol etc...

4. Need a plan for defense if we are stricken with the flu. Our defense would have been pitiful had we been in a SHTF event.

5. Need written plans for all events. Had it been a SHTF event, I would not have been able to recall everything that needed to be done etc..

6. Need to teach my dog how to take care of us..lol..just half-way kidding here.

7. in 2013, my main prepping goal is to improve my health.

What has having the flu or crude taught you?
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to momto14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 AM
I just might be crazy

The past 30 days, my youngest (15 years old) has been in the hospital on 2 occassions for a total of 4 nights, emergency room 2-3 times (can't remember), and 4-5 doctor's office visits ... all with cold mixed with asthma and then flu mixed with asthma. None of our family has ever been in the hospital.

I learned that the right meds are critical. In the first visit, once they got the right meds into her things improved. We are screwed if infection ever sets in during a SHTF scenario.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catnphx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Always exploring...

Thanked 53,503 Times in 14,125 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

So glad you are feeling better now. My entire family had pneumonia together a few years ago.
1. I re-evaluated the number of boxes of facial tissues you should keep on hand. It is far more than you think you'd need. All the "well we'd just use handkerchiefs" ideas are wonderful unless the laundrywoman is sick too. It's also nice to be able to just throw away, untouched, the nine million tissues it takes to get through such an event.
2. Plain lemon drops do every bit as much to stop coughing as cough drops and actually more because everyone doesn't fight the taste. And you need lots of them.
3. Those "dried/dehydrated ingredient soup in a jar recipes" are a lifesaver if they are sitting on the shelf. If the meat needed was canned and taped to the jar, or pre-cooked, measured, frozen and labeled to match the jar, I could just about get a hot, nutritious meal we could stand to eat, before falling over again.
4. There aren't enough little mix packages of hot drinks in the world for you to have too many on hand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,152 Times in 825 Posts

My DD was recently in the hospital for 4 days with an infection and I thought the same thing. I looked at all the supplies they went through and thought I'd never be able to prep all that stuff.

I am so very grateful for what we have today.
The Following User Says Thank You to extremejoy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,152 Times in 825 Posts

and as for the flu: I've thought very much the same thing. I was sick recently (still getting over it) and was amazed by how much sleep I needed. It took all I had to get the kids off to school and then I needed to sleep all day!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extremejoy9 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Vigilant

Thanked 5,087 Times in 1,902 Posts

This is a great post! Christmas day my brother and I were struck down with the flu. He ended up going to the hospital. It was pretty bad. It is definitely a game changer, and I'll be watching this thread for solutions. I was down and out! Hallucinating and the whole 9.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karnus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM
Go Forward With Courage.

Thanked 6,665 Times in 2,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto14 View Post
1. Without your health, you have nothing.

2. I need to double...maybe even triple...our OTC meds. We used alot more than I would have anticipated. I mean ALOT more. Total rethinking our our preps here.

3. I need to add alot more Lysol etc...

4. Need a plan for defense if we are stricken with the flu. Our defense would have been pitiful had we been in a SHTF event.

5. Need written plans for all events. Had it been a SHTF event, I would not have been able to recall everything that needed to be done etc..

6. Need to teach my dog how to take care of us..lol..just half-way kidding here.

7. in 2013, my main prepping goal is to improve my health.

What has having the flu or crude taught you?
Even with my wife a teacher until two years ago who got exposure to illness all of the time and who has been a Type One Diabetic for 49yrs and smokes and is 53 and me..smokes and is 59 we have not had any flu since around 1997 and rarely get any colds. No flu shots for either of us in decades.

Not everyone gets sick. Lifestyle dictates health. You are what you eat and what you do.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Always exploring...

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Bears View Post
Not everyone gets sick. Lifestyle dictates health. You are what you eat and what you do.
Not completely, but it is a goal and a wish. There are many other things that contribute to getting sick from time to time or to having a life-threatening illness. I do find it funny as all get out to get "you are what you eat" advice from a chronic smoker. That was good.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Prepared

I had an upper respiratory infection and it was murder. Shortness of breath, dizziness, and a headache from hell due to all of the coughing. I think I may have even broken a rib after an especially bad coughing spell.
The thing that saved me (I think) was Mucinex decongestant. I will be stocking plenty of that.
And lots of Kleenex of course! Thanks Mels thinkingitover for the reminder
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissJudged For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

Ive learned from experience and having children to stockpile the following...Ive been doing this faithfully for 4 yrs now.

Gingerale
Canned chicken noodle soup
Crackers
Tea bags
Raw honey
Apple cider vinegar
Whiskey
Already made freezer meals....for the non sick family members.
Lysol
Kleenex
Nyquil
Cough drops
Tylenol
Wipes...use after blowing nose while in bed!
I use my homemade rice packs that is heated up in the microwave to help me stay warm...you can also take a tube stock by putting a couple cups of rice inside then tie into a knot..

My latest prep is antibiotics of coarse you need to have knowledge on how to use them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mythreesons For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 PM
I just might be crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythreesons View Post
My latest prep is antibiotics of coarse you need to have knowledge on how to use them.
Our latest lesson on these is not all antibiotics are created equal and certain meds handle certain illnesses. Stock what you can but avoidance is the best medicine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Catnphx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Always learning new ropes

Everywhere I look people are going through this. Of course, many of them think prepping is crazy and I keep saying, THIS is what prepping is for on its most basic level. I have so many friends scrambling trying to get through the flu that I actually wrote about it yesterday! What I didn't think of was the freezer meals. I may go add that to my advice if you don't mind. Great tip!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prepared Mom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Prepared Firebird

Thanked 9,878 Times in 2,741 Posts

This thread is a timely and very appropriate reminder about preps to stock up on.

Lots of Winter still left to go..........and flu season is far from over.

Thank you for posting this. We always learn the most from real life experiences.
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyFenix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnphx View Post
Our latest lesson on these is not all antibiotics are created equal and certain meds handle certain illnesses. Stock what you can but avoidance is the best medicine.
thats why I said you need to have knowledge on how to treat sickness....obviously you aren't going to take antibiotics just for any kind of virus..I meant sickness like bronchitis or strep throat.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Farmer

Thanked 21,837 Times in 8,899 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 

Most of herbal remedies and naturopathic medicine focuses on boosting health and immune response. Whereas conventional medicine focuses on treating the symptoms of disease.

I suggest that everyone look closer at boosting health and immune response.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 06:08 PM

I had a type "A" influenza back in the mid-80's. After 4 days I thought I was going to die & finally went to the doctor. Fever of 104, aching joints & back, cough, headache, sore throat. I never want that again! Wife was sick a couple of weeks ago---glad I had my flu shot.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Always exploring...

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepared Mom View Post
Everywhere I look people are going through this. Of course, many of them think prepping is crazy and I keep saying, THIS is what prepping is for on its most basic level. I have so many friends scrambling trying to get through the flu that I actually wrote about it yesterday! What I didn't think of was the freezer meals. I may go add that to my advice if you don't mind. Great tip!
Nice article by the way.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 1,814 Times in 941 Posts

Haven't been sick in quite some time. I only go to a hospital for injuries too bad to treat at home, never for illness. Last time I was at a doctor's office for being sick was about 15 years ago when I was in middle school and my mom made me go. I even managed to get through boot camp on Parris Island without catching anything worse than a basic upper respiratory infection, and that went away as soon as I graduated and got away from all those bugs and germs brought down there.

Keep your immune system strong with regular exercise, good diet, and proper sleep.

Also, living in sterile environments is, I believe, a main contributor to kids and people nowadays having such high rates of allergies and illness- their immune systems were never exposed to anything and were never given the opportunity to develop. The overuse of many cleaners is probably building stronger and stronger strains of the "common" germs, and when combining that with weak immune systems, you get a bunch of whiny sick people that probably don't deserve treatment anyways.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 08:31 PM
One of YHVH's sheep

Thanked 21,624 Times in 8,562 Posts

Because of some medical treatments that I am undergoing; I have a very low white blood cell count meaning I do not have much of an immune system against germs right now.

I take more than normal, precautions because of it.

I wear a surgical mask at the clinic, Walmart or any other place that has lots of people.

I wipe the handle on my shopping cart w/ an antibacterial wipe. I wash my hands often.

The flu and whooping cough is going around in our area and so far, I have not even caught a cold.

I realize people do not want to walk around Walmart w/ a surgical mask on. I do get lots of looks because of it. LOL

If the shtf, and no hospitals are available I would suggest it though. If it can prevent someone w/ a very low wbc, from getting sick; it would most certainly help with people whom have normal immune systems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vectorwoman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Thanked 28,526 Times in 12,054 Posts

Were all to fragile --

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ