Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Boating and Fishing
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,705 Times in 2,200 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf007 View Post
cut its head off or stab just behind the eye
Correct. Carry on.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:54 AM
Target Shooter

Knock them in the head with a stick to make them unconscious/kill them and cut the throat to bleed them out, just in case the knock did not do the trick.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onealx4 View Post
Same here, the fish don't die till the knife hits em. I don't even cut off the head, just grab em and start cutting. Even then, catfish are usually still alive after I filet the sides off. Tough things those catfish are..
When I was about 5 yrs old I went fishing with my father. He caught a large blue gill, filleted it immediately, put it back in the water and it swam away. I though it would grow new sides. Who knows. Maybe it did.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 PM
life member

Thanked 1,978 Times in 660 Posts

if its dead when I try to clean it....it becomes garden fertilizer
Old 02-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Prepared

Sometimes I cut the spine right behind the head to keep them from flopping around for 20mins.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 PM

cut its gills and set in on the bank so the blood drains out, or just set it on the bank where it won't flop back in, i can't taste the difference in clubbed/bled/iced-down fish versus one thats just sat in the reeds for a few hours. Some species need bleeding like a tuna, while other small panfish its a waste of time.

I've commercial fished striped bass in new england and the only ice we bring is for the beer.
Some of the hogs were in the upper 30's, no clubbing, just right into a big empty cooler

your better off just leave them lying there instead of risking cutting/bashing your finger trying to stab/whack a flopping fish, as well as the risk of infection when a spine get broke off in your hand, ooh man when your veins are all black on your wrist an arm your gonna wish you had just left the sucker out of the water for 10 mins instead of getting blood poisioning from a supid fish

my two cents as a avid recreational and commercial fisherman and a new forum member - its all extra time and energy doing anything more than catching it and eating it alive like a bear, so if your gonna bother cooking it, why stab and mutilate it first?

As for anyone not cooking fish whole your a fool.
scale it then cut it from the bunghole through the pectoral fin bone (between the two fins on its side by its belly) right through the bottom jaw. pull the gill rakers intestines and swim bladder and you got something ready to stuff bake fry grill steam smoke or my favortie, on a cedar plank in a brick oven.

Its a dam fish just eat it. working on a trawler pulling in a few hundreds of thousands of fish make you wonder if they mind it, but they just swim away if you throw em back so dont over complicate dinner ok?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Recent Blog:
Nature is My Medicine

http://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Wood...ords=fish+club

The quickest, easiest humane method of killing a fish is percussive stunning. Percussive stunning involves striking a quick, hard blow to the top of the fish's skull, just behind the eyes. The blow to the brain immediately kills or renders the fish unconscious. You want the blow's mechanical force, when absorbed by the brain, to disrupt neurological activity without necessarily crushing the skull.

Smaller fish can be held in one hand for percussive stunning. Larger fish can be laid on the belly on a boat deck or other firm surface. Many anglers use a priest, or small club, made specifically for the job, such as the Delta Tackle Fish Wacker. Once you determine that your fish is dead or unconscious, percussive stunning should be followed by bleeding.

Read more: The Humane Method to Kill a Fish Before Filleting | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_10025025_hu...#ixzz2LqoOBo8S
Old 03-19-2013, 06:21 AM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default ////////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
Chuck it in a cooler fill of ice.
If you r taking the fish home first take piece of para cord attach to your boat.then through the mouth and out the gill secure. Take a sharp knife or sheer and cut the throat .The latch that is between the gills that connects to the jaw .Should be severed If you did this right the fish should be bleeding profusely place the fish back in the water until it is lifeless. this means the fish has bled out and the heart has stopped.

The next step is take a sharp knife slit from annal vent all the way up and completely remove viscera. rinse fish well and bury in ice.This keep your fillets clean white and free of blood.As far as gutting the fish do not do that were you r fishing .Do it when you r done for the day or you r at the dock some say that release into the water will shut down the bite. GOOD Luck

If your boat has alive well you can bleed the fish in their run the pump and exchange the water as the fish bleeds out.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,460 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcast View Post
If you r taking the fish home first take piece of para cord attach to your boat.then through the mouth and out the gill secure. Take a sharp knife or sheer and cut the throat .The latch that is between the gills that connects to the jaw .Should be severed If you did this right the fish should be bleeding profusely place the fish back in the water until it is lifeless. this means the fish has bled out and the heart has stopped.

The next step is take a sharp knife slit from annal vent all the way up and completely remove viscera. rinse fish well and bury in ice.This keep your fillets clean white and free of blood.As far as gutting the fish do not do that were you r fishing .Do it when you r done for the day or you r at the dock some say that release into the water will shut down the bite. GOOD Luck

If your boat has alive well you can bleed the fish in their run the pump and exchange the water as the fish bleeds out.
Careful--pike may cut that cord
Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 AM
Common Sense Survivalist

Remove had and guts. Throw it on ice.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,049 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebow View Post
If you are worried about humane kill, spray gills with some cheap vodka from a spray bottle.
Cheap vodka kills tens of thousands of Russians a year, but I'm not sure how humane it is.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:15 PM

killing fish quickly?

Every time I see this question I thank it is a joke.

Kill the thing any way you can and eat it unless you wont to eat it alive.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,784 Posts

Whack it on the head with a priest the cut its throat and let it bleed.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,014 Posts

f its to be eaten it's kept in the water till im ready to clean it and eat it. If trach fish, a hit to the head with a stick.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Tabbed: "Regular Guy"

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,210 Posts

From my concept of fishing and hunting, most humane with minimal suffer. I think you did alright.

As suggested, cutting off the head is the ultimate fish killer... Any movement after that is purely electrical.

For hunting, a quick finishing shot to the grey matter is ultimate dead. Again, any movement after that is purely electrical (Unless its a griz or hog.. in which case it make take 7 rounds to penetrate the skull!!! :-) )

Move forward my friend....
EB
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 AM
SI vis pacem,para bellum

Default //////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by labdog View Post
Careful--pike may cut that cord
Yes that is true pike r toothy 1/4 inch polypropylene may be better choice.I use para cord when I am wadding for striped bass they are toothless .I attach them to my wadding belt.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 PM

I prefer to keep my fish alive as long as possible and do the killing once i leave the spot or at home, depending on how long the drive is. I just cut through the dorsal side behind the head and sever the spinal cord and they bleed out fast.

One time though... I was floating on a black innertube down the sacramento river with my rod and a lucky lure, and landed a monster squawfish that was strong enough to tow me all around, when i finally got it to shore i grabbed it by the tail and smacked its head on a boulder a handful of times until it quit fighting. I just had to get it home for a picture because it was so big and carrying it on my lap was the only way. I didnt find out what the record size sacramento squawfish was till a dew years later, but im pretty sure it was a close contender, if not record setter.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:36 AM
I love this forum

I am surprised that nobody said to shoot with a Ruger 10/22 since that is the poster boys gun on this forum.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 AM

I live in Alaska. Fish; salmon, cod, halibut are a basic staple. Don't be beating them, bleed them out. Think of cutting the fishes throat. It's a little different for each fish but the idea is the same. let 'em flop til dead. Commercial fish most times must be bled or they're not accepted. Fact is anything you kill to eat you should bleed out. Sometimes the blood is saved for things like blood sausage but even farm raised animals are killed and bled.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM

I can definitely understand why you would be concerned about whether or not you killed the fish quickly. You obviously don't want the fish to suffer. You may have killed the pike after the first hit or two and it was nerves. Generally the fish will twitch a little after it is dead but the fish usually doesn't look like it is breathing. A way that I found that kills fish quickly is by hitting the top of the fish's head with the side of my pliars. Their is a small section on the top of its head that if struck, will usually kill the fish instantly. Some people of course will disagree that it is humane. There are other fish Euthanasia techniques.