Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Reviews and questions
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-26-2012, 01:39 PM
8ⓖ 12ⓜ

Thanked 13,204 Times in 4,018 Posts
Default Review of the L.L. Bean Solar Flashlight

Advertise Here

The specific model can be seen here:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58403...lar-flashlight

Things I like about this model:
  • Compact
  • Lightweight
  • Bright
  • My favorite color (dark blue)
  • Rubber lens ring and heel cap
  • Lanyard has a button to tighten lanyard -- say around a wrist or tree limb for hanging

Things I don't like about this model:
  • Bulb not replaceable
  • The on/on/off irritates me -- 1st click, you're on solar power; 2nd click, you're on battery power; 3rd click, turns flashlight off. I would prefer a toggle, but understand that would risk draining the batteries if turned on accidentally in daylight.

This flashlight is labelled Hybridlight (TM), and runs off solar with a pair of lithium button batteries (CR2032) for back-up. A man or woman with large hands might find this flashlight a bit small, but the circumference of the body is perfect for my petite paws. The indicator lights, to tell the user which type of power is in use or that the flashlight is charging, are quite tiny but in the midnight dark power, the source is easily identified. The colors are: Yellow -- solar power; Green -- battery power; Red -- charge mode.

I have not taken it to the river and tossed it in (yet), but item is alleged to be waterproof to 80 feet. It arrived fully charged (almost a week before Christmas) and nightly use for approx. one hour each night has not drained its charge (solar).

For the money, I'm very pleased with this purchase.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MtnCat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Fighter

I have a few of these lights, and I too think they are worth the money.
The Following User Says Thank You to SurvivalistMaine For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM

This is a pretty good find. The price seems fair for what you are getting. You mentioned that the bulb is not replaceable. Are you familiar with any other solar/water proof flashlights that do have a replaceable bulb? Oddly enough I hadn't considered that before.
The Following User Says Thank You to quickened For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 PM
8ⓖ 12ⓜ

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickened View Post
This is a pretty good find. The price seems fair for what you are getting. You mentioned that the bulb is not replaceable. Are you familiar with any other solar/water proof flashlights that do have a replaceable bulb? Oddly enough I hadn't considered that before.
Unfortunately, if there's a solar-powered flashlight (waterproof or not) that has a replaceable bulb, I haven't located it yet.

We have several Mag Lights and a Brinkmann which will dis-assemble to allow bulb replacement. As Mom and I have gotten a bit of age on us, they're really too heavy for anything other than brief use. The big Mag and Brinkmann would make excellent clubs, though.

If I come across a solar-powered one which allows replacement bulbs, I'll snag it as well and give one of the LL Bean ones to my son and d-i-l. They're still in the 'everything's disposable' mindset.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 PM
8ⓖ 12ⓜ

Default Update

Solar charging this flashlight during the past four weeks has been a challenge due to weather. Moments ago it went dark on solar power, but the button battery back-up is still going strong.

On the plus side, it *will* go into solar re-charge mode even through a closed window.

So just be aware if you are in a northern clime and using it during the winter months. I wouldn't solely depend on this model.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 AM
8ⓖ 12ⓜ

Default Update

The rainy weather has been a challenge keeping this flashlight charged.

However, two days ago I set it out to see if it would re-charge on an overcast, but not raining, day. It did. Intermittent use (10 - 30 minutes) over two nights and the light is still bright enough for use to read small print. Very happy with this flashlight.