Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Love G-D. Love Neighbor.

Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,110 Posts
Default Painfully Stupid

Advertise Here

So here I was all ready to enjoy a day out of the snow save taking care of the animals. No problem--we took the snowblower out this morning and all was well. I figured no need for ice-melt (no need to mention that my: partner, brother, and guests disagreed with this) because the wind usually blows an adequate skiff of snow that covers the slick-spots.

So SM why did you wind up spending three hours in the ER this afternoon you might ask (or not)? The answer. Because when I went out this afternoon to take care of the turkeys...I slipped on the front step and landed on my ankle....at an "awkward" angle. My trauma surgeon brother easily diagnosed the problem. I (half) jokingly suggested he use our casting supplies. He countered with a ride to the ER. Now I'm laid up with a wrap and a consult with an orthopedic surgeon in the morning as I may need surgery.

There is a moral to this story. In SHTF situations (insert whatever likely or unlikely event of your choosing) stupidity and ego can cause serious consequences. We all need to check our egos and accept that none of us has all the answers. There was no good reason for me not to put ice-melt out. I was just irritated that everyone disagreed with me. Now I and my family are reaping the consequences of me being laid up. Ego may make us feel better emotionally about ourselves. It also, in my case doesn't help pay the medical bills.

I invite others to share their own moments of stupidity.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to survivalminister For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Keeping Options Open

Thanked 8,786 Times in 2,386 Posts

Sorry for your pain. We all make mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fight4Freedom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,616 Times in 800 Posts

I am NOT using my front entrance. Thanks for reminding me why not.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldparanoia For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 11,290 Times in 3,438 Posts

Also sorry for your discomfort.

Take it easy on yourself - a decision any of us could have made.

OTOH, also a lesson learned. In an environment when there is no ER, avoiding getting hurt in the first place will no doubt assume significantly greater importance.

Hope you recover quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Love G-D. Love Neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotius View Post
Also sorry for your discomfort.

Take it easy on yourself - a decision any of us could have made.

OTOH, also a lesson learned. In an environment when there is no ER, avoiding getting hurt in the first place will no doubt assume significantly greater importance.

Hope you recover quickly.
I'll be fine and have had worse injuries. However, you are absolutely right. Minimizing the risk of injury is vital. Something moderately annoying (like a broken ankle) is devastating in an enviroment with no ER/modern medical care.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Love G-D. Love Neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldparanoia View Post
I am NOT using my front entrance. Thanks for reminding me why not.
Yeah, another valuable lesson here--use our side entrance more.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Prepared

You can buy spikes that slip over your shoes for 15$ at walmart.. invest in a pair when your better
The Following User Says Thank You to jingles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 PM
What, me worry?

Thanked 4,835 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalminister View Post
I'll be fine and have had worse injuries. However, you are absolutely right. Minimizing the risk of injury is vital. Something moderately annoying (like a broken ankle) is devastating in an enviroment with no ER/modern medical care.
I think it is important to point put that until relatively recently, perhaps the last 150 years, a broken ankle, often resulted in permanent disability and sometimes even death by secondary causes (infection, starvation, exposure, etc.). Only the wealthy and/or lucky recovered, or those who had friends and family who would care for them.
The Following User Says Thank You to rpp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 PM
Target Shooter

Sorry for your pain.

Me - - - I'm stupid everyday - - it doesn't take a SHTF situation to bring that out!

But your post brings up a very critical point - - - people will need to know how to either get to medical aid, or how to do it themselves for people in their group, after SHTF.

A very good book is "Where There is no Doctor". Along with first aid books and the sort.

Again - - sorry to hear of your pain.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TexSurvivalGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Love G-D. Love Neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingles View Post
You can buy spikes that slip over your shoes for 15$ at walmart.. invest in a pair when your better
Yeah, spikes were a totally overlooked prep item and we pride ourselves of being "Iowa winter prepared." I see pair of those spikes being stocking stuffers this year.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Love G-D. Love Neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpp View Post
I think it is important to point put that until relatively recently, perhaps the last 150 years, a broken ankle, often resulted in permanent disability and sometimes even death by secondary causes (infection, starvation, exposure, etc.). Only the wealthy and/or lucky recovered, or those who had friends and family who would care for them.
This is a great point that people don't think about today. We are pretty heavily stocked on medical gear and and supplies. The reason is that we've got doctors trained in our family group. The aforementioned trauma surgeon brother has gone all over with Doctors Without Borders--he knows how to do a lot with limited supplies. A broken bone can take someone healthy and give them a permanent disability (if not worse).
Old 12-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Love G-D. Love Neighbor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSurvivalGuy View Post
Sorry for your pain.

Me - - - I'm stupid everyday - - it doesn't take a SHTF situation to bring that out!

But your post brings up a very critical point - - - people will need to know how to either get to medical aid, or how to do it themselves for people in their group, after SHTF.

A very good book is "Where There is no Doctor". Along with first aid books and the sort.

That is an excellent book. I've given numerous copies out
The Following User Says Thank You to survivalminister For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 PM
What, me worry?

Thanked 4,835 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSurvivalGuy View Post
Sorry for your pain.

I have stumbled across that book on Amazon.com several times and have wondered if it was really worthwhile. there is great deal of misinformation masquerading as legitimate medical guides. I was wondering if this was worth it or just some garbage and old wives tales thrown together by some poser.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingles View Post
I have several. One in my work gear bag in my truck, one in my ghb that is also in my truck, and 2 here at home along with some crampons and a pair of rednecked golf shoes.

Sounds what is needed is a solar/wind powered, remote control feeder for the turkeys.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
I have stumbled across that book on Amazon.com several times and have wondered if it was really worthwhile. there is great deal of misinformation masquerading as legitimate medical guides. I was wondering if this was worth it or just some garbage and old wives tales thrown together by some poser.
It is good - - - but as I mentioned "along with first aid books". Those should probably take priority - - and then get this book.

Here is a thread about some good first aid books. The Army manuals are good, in my opinion - - but I have several of the ones listed on this thread:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=36649
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TexSurvivalGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Hiker

Quote:
It is available as a legal free download:
http://hesperian.org/books-and-resources/
Note there is also a dental version, a women's health one, and some others.
The Following User Says Thank You to technoprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Semper Gumby

In the immortal words of my Dad...

"That'll learn ya."
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Rational Being

Thanked 4,332 Times in 1,291 Posts

I once walked into the front end of a parked car. Wasn't paying attention at all, too busy talking to my friends instead of paying attention to my surroundings. My lower body slammed to a halt while my upper body pivoted so fast down toward the hood that I didn't even have the time to think about putting my hands up. Bloody nose from a parked car.

No idea what my husband sees in me. I'm about as graceful as a landlocked walrus.

Hope you heal up fast - your ankle and your ego.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Prepared

I have learned the hard way, via toboggan, ambulance, and x-ray machine, that learning how to jump off a cliff on skis does not mean you start with the 15 footers. Especially if it has a flat landing. At 18, I was lucky I didn't wind up in a back brace. Spinal injuries are never worth it, kids. I still jump off cliffs, it just took me two years of rehab and training to get there.