Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Manmade and Natural Disasters
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 AM
Get off my ice.

Thanked 31,882 Times in 8,057 Posts
Default West Antarctic Ice Sheet warming twice earlier estimate

Advertise Here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20804192

Quote:
US researchers say they found the first evidence of warming during the southern hemisphere's summer months.
Ya think?

Hope they don't go there in winter and find evidence of an impending ice age...
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve28 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,208 Times in 399 Posts

Well, if it's warming at twice the earlier estimate, and the earlier estimate said it was cooling, does that mean it's warming at all, or is it cooling more rapidly?

I have no idea what's happening in the Antarctic. It's warmer up North where I am and we've adjusted. I say live with what you get, unless you believe your worrying is going to somehow have a positive effect.

I believe perception drives gas prices and fuel availability. This global warming 'crisis' is a cover for a depleting oil reserve; they are trying to slow consumption without letting the cat out of the bag. Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt the world is warming. I doubt that warming is the emergency it is presented to be.

We hear in the media, even from the national 'leaders,' of how the shale oil has eliminated concerns of an oil crisis. The same oil crisis they still deny. I think the majority of us know shale oil is a farce, but Joe public doesn't. So they need to slow consumption without triggering panic in the sheeple. A global warming 'crisis' is so convenient. I say warming yes, crisis no. Alternate agenda... of course! As to the antarctic warming and back to the point... will worrying change anything? Besides, it will be weeks or less before someone releases a report which directly opposes the notion of antarctic warming.

Even keel says I. Don't ride the fear or speculation; it's all show. Simply look at the data and position for change. That's what winners do, and it's about all we have the power to affect.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:12 PM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 5,808 Times in 1,722 Posts

There is ample evidence that the Earth has been both warmer and cooler than it is now, and yet life still exists.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:18 PM
spoonmaster

Thanked 23,631 Times in 6,250 Posts

Oh no. The Earth is warming up. Let's all pay Carbon taxes so Al Gore gets rich. Let's all ruin the economy. Let's all fly our private jets to Copenhagen and make up more laws to bankrupt the stupid peasants who believe this.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:39 PM
This is a great survival forum

Its been warming and cooing down since the earth was formed. its called a cycle. But of course its the humans that caused it. Before that it was the Dinosaurs. They need to get a clue.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:55 PM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 5,808 Times in 1,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsScout View Post
Its been warming and cooing down since the earth was formed. its called a cycle. But of course its the humans that caused it. Before that it was the Dinosaurs. They need to get a clue.
That's it, dinosaur farts! Imagine the amount of methane released every time Dino let a SBD slip!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:18 PM
WHITE POWER

All those assault-weapons going off.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Metaphysical Nihilist

Thanked 4,250 Times in 1,373 Posts

The issue is not the warming itself, the issue is the global impacts from the warming. If the ice shelf breaks off due to melting the sea level rises 10 feet. Considering a large amount of the population lives on a shoreline it becomes a big issue.

In all reality warming itself is a non-issue, it has been discussed that by closing the gap from S.America to Antarctica, global currents should shift and restore the temperate climate conditions once seen. The real fear of warming is the increase in storms and water level. Many are too stubborn to move, and to ignorant to learn.

Being in the field of Nat. Resource Conservation this is an issue I address that people usually take to one extreme or another. In the end the issue is really sustainable food and water use. Climate change will affect food and water availability which is already taxed at its current state of decline.

It won't happen overnight, but unless resources are used more wisely, the natural cycle of climate change is going to force us to learn from inaction.

The fear is that by speeding up the cycle, people in our lifetime will have to actually do something other than make grand hollow gestures.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wild 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 05:27 PM
spoonmaster

Thanked 23,631 Times in 6,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild 1 View Post
Being in the field of Nat. Resource Conservation this is an issue I address that people usually take to one extreme or another.
Do you actually get paid for this? What a scam.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Metaphysical Nihilist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster1918 View Post
Do you actually get paid for this? What a scam.
Thank you for proving my exact point.

The media extracts erratic data from nutjob scientists and lobbyists. Pick a side if you want to. The rest of the scientific community has not made a solid judgement on the overall impacts and course of action.

Speak on a sound science matter and you are presented with three facts:

-The earth's climate is changing (tons of evidence)
-We have no idea what will happen (predictive models only)
-We need to adapt and prepare

I do not expect anyone to believe me, too much media extravaganza has blown credibility out of the water. And generally people are quick to base their decision on a closed-minded single train of thought. when I first started in conservation I was force fed global warming, after researching peer-reviewed articles for technical papers I had written, the evidence clearly states a change with many unknown variables.

Recently I got to know a glacial geologist who has a great insight and research on it. Global warming is done, we are just stalling global cooling at this point.

As a conservationist my job is to utilize the precautionary principal.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wild 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Just plain snarky.

Thanked 12,388 Times in 3,595 Posts

Wild 1, my thoughts echo yours. There is stuff happening, patterns changing. Whether (weather )this is man made or not, change is occurring.

Some studies show areas of Antarctica growing, others shrinking, but when compared overall seem to be showing a loss of total ice. It has to go somewhere, and the ocean is the place.

It will impact us, no doubt about it, be it sea level rise, or even just a slight change in rainfall; either more or less, this has profound implications for us.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 32,132 Times in 7,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yappat View Post
That's it, dinosaur farts! Imagine the amount of methane released every time Dino let a SBD slip!
What SBD? Deadly, sure,that's a no-brainer, but "silent" ?? Hm,I dunno....
Old 12-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Metaphysical Nihilist

From what I have been told and read, the next step in the climate cycle is the cooling of the southern pole and the expansion of the antarctic ice sheet. so life for us personally in the far future might not be too horrendous and they try to paint it on tv and news articles.

That being the case, considering that the recent trend is an accelerated melting of the sheet, it is either within the tolerances of temperature variance or the human activity has stalled the cycle. On the bright side a potential increase in temperate and sub-tropical climate zones is the result of "global warming". These are the most productive areas on the planet for crops and biodiversity. The down side is that tropical weather brings tropical storms which can be very nasty.

In the end there is no known way to stop the global climate cycle from doing it's own thing. There is no cure as is so often pushed.

But climate change is real and it shouldn't matter if man is to blame. The simple fact is we can adapt or die. As prepared individuals your already ahead of the masses of folks who depend so readily on a steady supply of crops from an already fragile ecosystem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wild 1 For This Useful Post: