Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Prepared

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
Guess I'm missing something, what grill?

Saw a table in one pic.
There are several thumbnail pictures included in that link the OP gave. One has a very nice looking grill. Mouse over the pictures. You'll see it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shunryu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 AM
never quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapNelson View Post
If you're researching alternatives, I'd suggest one of the woodgas stoves. Can be bought, or built. Much more efficient use of natural fuel (i.e. twigs), serves as its own wind screen, pot stand, and mine supports an alcohol back up. Everything packs inside the main housing which is a 1qt paint can. Leaves very little to no ash, which might be handy if you don't want to leave a footprint for others to follow. Very hot, very fast.
Thanks ChapNelson! I did look at the woodgas stoves. The designs are ingenious! I really like how it's made with what looks like a double wall system.
I'm going to look more into that, and yes I'm researching quick easy lightweight systems that use pine cones and twigs that you can use when 'on the run' so to speak
Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 AM
never quit

Have you built your own ChapNelson?
Which plans did you follow, or do you like?
It looks alot like a converted paint can, but maybe you could use regular water heater stove pipe from Lowe's?
The store bought ones are a little pricey for me....
Old 12-24-2012, 01:34 PM

I purchased a four dog bushcookerLt ll it uses twigs, esbit, or alcohol. Fits in my snow peak 900 cup weighs 3.4 oz

http://fourdog.com/bushcookerlt-ii-bush-cstove/
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogbone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,052 Posts

Old 12-24-2012, 05:32 PM

You should check out emberlit stoves .....( http://www.emberlit.com/ ) If youre looking for a wood backpacking stove. I normaly just cook over a camp fire. How ever this are nice to have. Especially if you dont want to do all the prep and time it takes to make a camp fire.These are awsome, cause it only takes a few sticks and they do work well. If your handy you could always make one of these to see if a wood stove is for you. (http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm ) Either one folds up flat and does really that up space, so they both would be nice back up stoves...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 138zacvining For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 06:30 PM

Red face

Sorry didnt read the other post.....
Old 12-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Philosoprepper

Thanked 5,408 Times in 1,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles2go22 View Post
Have you built your own ChapNelson?
Which plans did you follow, or do you like?
It looks alot like a converted paint can, but maybe you could use regular water heater stove pipe from Lowe's?
The store bought ones are a little pricey for me....
I built one after Jim Falks bushwhacker design. New paint can from Lowes, recycled 21oz tomato can, piece of hardware cloth. Cut bottom out of paint can, top off of tomato can, and they nest. Remove paint lid, make a strip of the wire cloth 3" wide, but long enough to curl into a tube that sets in the lid track on the paint can - that's your stand. The rest is drilling holes. I also made the cat food can alcohol burner; drill some holes into the paint can for hangar wire stand so the burner sets down into the stove.

Ill take some pictures and post if you like.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChapNelson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 09:51 AM
\,,/ (^o^) \,,/

I'm looking at the Magic Flame stove...1.3lbs and it folds to 6"x4.5"x3/8"...i looked at the one the OP posted about, but a friend has the Magic Flame and it works pretty good (all the amazon reviews don't beat hands on)
The Following User Says Thank You to new_dharma For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 02:55 PM
never quit

Quote:
I built one after Jim Falks bushwhacker design. New paint can from Lowes, recycled 21oz tomato can, piece of hardware cloth. Cut bottom out of paint can, top off of tomato can, and they nest. Remove paint lid, make a strip of the wire cloth 3" wide, but long enough to curl into a tube that sets in the lid track on the paint can - that's your stand. The rest is drilling holes. I also made the cat food can alcohol burner; drill some holes into the paint can for hangar wire stand so the burner sets down into the stove.

I'd love to see your pictures if you have the time to take them! I'm definitely interested in making one of these, just a matter of which design and maybe picking up a drill bit or two. These are great !
Old 12-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltjr1951 View Post
Do you stuff it full of sticks/etc or just halfway?

Seems like all youtube vids have it stuffed to the top with sticks.
Flames are shooting out of top of cooker.
Tells you they don't know how to use it, never filled it more than 3/4's full.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Philosoprepper

Quote:

Decided to make some tea, its about 40 degrees out right now, a little damp. I'm using twigs and leaves from my yard.

I stuffed the can with kindling; its been burning about 10 minutes and there's only a little bit of embers left but its burning off the wood gas and still cooking the water.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Philosoprepper

Here's all the pieces, note the holes in the interior can, and the small square grate; that goes on the bottom on the interior can, the corners are turned down like ears, and it gives about 1/4" space between the grate and the bottom of the can for air flow.

All packed into the can, including the alcohol backup and fuel bottle.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

Just got one of these, contact Boudah he'll make more
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...titanium+stove
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM
never quit

Thanks for the pictures ChapNelson!
I tried to make my own woodgas stove and I followed the youtube video. I worked all morning getting the center cut out of the top of the outer can and make the little slits so that the middle can does the 'compression fitting' thing and stays up off the bottom (for airflow)
I can see that you just bypassed the whole 'problem' by making the little hardware cloth stand with the dog eared corners! That is very clever, and I wish I'd thought of that!
I might take my middle can out and get another outer can and do just that. I've got lots
of hardware cloth laying around from my defunk chicken coup.
Thanks for taking the time to post your pictures!