Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 12-24-2012, 04:55 AM

Default Shoes with wheels that kids wear.

Advertise Here

Ok, this might sound dumb or not to some people. But i myself have an arthritis and sometimes gout problem thats heriditary and sports related. If i had to run a long distance, i probably wouldnt make it that far and would have to either hide or fight off any zombies/combatants.

I thought of those shoes that have the wheels that pop out of the heel or soles like Heelys(?) would be a good invention for survival in rural area. Not like those kiddie ones, but something with eurothane wheels, ball bearings, and more hiker or combat boot style shoe.

Is this a stupid idea since you could always retract the wheels if you go country and an option for those disabled, handicapped or physically incapable?
Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,376 Times in 2,168 Posts

Now you understand the homeless's affinity for shopping carts. Wheels! I'd bet you could rig up take off nice wheels on the old roller skate pattern with like velcro and spandex straps on a lexan platform. Cross country ski folks have trainers for pavement, and there are dune boards with big wide wheels.

A mt bike works nicely and I have seen adult trikes with like 18 to 21 gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 06:22 AM
Old guy who plans ahead

Thanked 3,901 Times in 1,326 Posts

Back in the old days we had an invention like that.

I think there were called "Roller Skates".
Old 12-24-2012, 06:26 AM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,816 Times in 2,164 Posts

I'd think stability would be an issue, with just slight dehydration your balance it off quite a bit. Try this, walk across the room and quickly do a 180 and see if you don't wobble. For those disabled, handicapped or physically incapable dehydration it a big problem, hence stability. That's why the the can and walker, so adding wheels would maybe not work too well.
Amazing things can be done in dealing with arthritis and sometimes gout and diet. I'd look into that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 06:38 AM
Grain of sand

Thanked 6,277 Times in 1,835 Posts

The main issue with those shoes would be the weight. My kids have had several brands of them and all are heavy and clunky. You mention a pair that would be more for hiking. If you were wearing them in the brush you would wear out rather quickly. It would be worse on arthritic bones than regular shoes. Far worse.

Someone totally in the city might be able to use them but they aren't exactly stable. They take practice and if you hit a medium size rock you go down fast and hard.

For survival purposes I give them a thumbs down. They are too heavy and dangerous.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gypsymoonfarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 08:26 AM

I was also going to post about how heavy they are. The other thing is it was a pain to take the wheels out on my son's pair. They don't just pop in and out when you want to walk. The wheels are either in the shoes or they aren't, and if you don't want them, you have to take several minutes to pop them out. Walking with the wheels in is also awkward. You'd be better off sticking with a good pair of shoes or boots.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rickyrhea For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 09:53 AM

haha when i was 17 i had a pair i thought they were cool. i were them at a local pet store i worked at all the time first day i had them i busted my kaboose so hard i went home
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mustlive_23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,116 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxx View Post
Back in the old days we had an invention like that.

I think there were called "Roller Skates".
I remember those turkeys, cast iron wheels,midieval style foot screws to tighten them on and they weighed so much you couldn't pick your foot up without grabbing your knee with both hands.
on the plus size with all that weight once you got started on a downhill sidewalk you were gone.!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vegasrandall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Hiker

handicapped/disabled person on roller skates....now that is funny.....
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deadair For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Legalize Defenestration

Thanked 17,886 Times in 3,332 Posts

The OP mentioned using them in a rural area. Most rural areas dont have concrete, and that would make them useless.

Tex
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BAR BAR 2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 7,975 Times in 3,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadair View Post
handicapped/disabled person on roller skates....now that is funny.....
Judging from what I read, I too am forcing myself not to laugh at the thought of someone bugging out through the woods with roller shoes.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hawkbern For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 11:47 AM

I get what you are all saying with old school roller skate wheels. But with today's technology, I was thinking of small bearing type wheels or rollers, or anything that could be built into the bottom of shoes that could retract somehow or be attached in someway similiar to Heelys, but as large a rolling wheel and would retract in the front and rear of the shoe. I was thinking 2 smaller bearng wheels the size of quarter side by side up front and in the rear.

Im not an engineer, but it was a thought as im sure any type of rolling advantage to "get away" from pursuers would be beneficial if one couldnt run for long distances.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 PM

You can't safely get up decent speed AND stay stable. You will either end up getting chased down. Hit a bump you just plain don't see and go flying. Or the unit might fail on you with hard use. Sounds like too big a risk in my opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wavey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Rhodesia WAS Nice...

Thanked 4,059 Times in 1,767 Posts

Candy was invented by dentists. Not to be outdone, orthopedic surgeons invented heelies...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SnakeRanch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Senior Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abakja1 View Post
I get what you are all saying with old school roller skate wheels. But with today's technology, I was thinking of small bearing type wheels or rollers, or anything that could be built into the bottom of shoes that could retract somehow or be attached in someway similiar to Heelys, but as large a rolling wheel and would retract in the front and rear of the shoe. I was thinking 2 smaller bearng wheels the size of quarter side by side up front and in the rear.

Im not an engineer, but it was a thought as im sure any type of rolling advantage to "get away" from pursuers would be beneficial if one couldnt run for long distances.
Wel-l-l-l-l-l as being someone who is unable to run (but I can walk - bad ankle) if someone is pursuing me unless I am headed down a hill with a pair of those things I might be able to get away...but the stop would be hard on me. I once owned a pair of shoes that had one huge spring in the heel area. A monster "shock", but you had to watch for cords and couldn't walk in the woods with them. You could get a pair with an encased spring, but I never did. They were rather clunky and what you are describing sounds like it would be clunky too.
Alot of the "handicapped" that I have seen using the parking placards need to lose 100 lbs and they might feel alot better. I am not saying all of them - just alot of them... You'd need pretty skookum bearings to support the "big" people. I think they'd be better off learning self defense, either a gun (did I really say that) or walking stick - something.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

Personally, I think they should ban those things...I have seen 2 kids bust their heads open like watermellons while playing in them. Doubt it would work for older folks due to needed balance & coordination...wouldn't work for me anyway.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fisherman50 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2012, 12:33 AM

I use something similar to your idea with a single heel skate like this and a folding shopping cart. The folding shopping cart provides support like a walker as i kick with the free leg like while using a scooter.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 AM
I'm friendly, maybe

Thanked 10,516 Times in 4,615 Posts

Shoot, there are days I do good to walk a straight line now. I've never had the cordination for skates or ice even. Winter ice is an EVIL MONSTER! I said that.
I have a group for those of us who like to prospect or mine for gold. Whether it be the person who just prospects with a pan, uses a metal detector or the person who has a giant trommel. Everyone's Welcome!
www.survivalistboards.com/group.php?groupid=370
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Have you considered a bicycle?

It takes a great deal of practiced coordination and good physical conditioning to use roller skates of any kind. It would be suicidal for someone with gout or arthritis and no conditioning to put on such equipment because it would make staying upright hundreds of times more difficult that it already is when your feet are planted firmly on the ground.

You can test this idea out for yourself by going to a skating rink, rent some skates, and see how hard it really is to motivate with any amount of proficiency on them things. Then imagine being chased down a street or road with them on.

Have you considered a bicycle? They are stable, many times faster than skates, and very easy to operate safely.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr Mark For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 AM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 7,646 Times in 3,526 Posts

If the S hits the F I don't want to be lying in it with a broken hip. I wouldn't put wheels on my shoes in good times... much less when they stop answering 911 calls.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post: