Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > Polls and Surveys
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Advertise Here
View Poll Results: Major SHTF, facing armed opponents and possible military law, what type are you?
10 should not even be here 8 4.91%
80 are nothing but targets 27 16.56%
9 of them are real fighters 88 53.99%
1 of them is a warrior 40 24.54%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 AM
mongo's Avatar
mongo mongo is offline
tinfoil bandana
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Too close to Detroit
Posts: 1,136
Thanks: 50
Thanked 833 Times in 392 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
I'll bet you are! However, just remember that dying doesn't win the war..... Killing the enemy a$$hole across from you wins the war. It all depends on if you have the balls to "flip the switch" or not. Those who can't will probably die. Those that do, will probably survive.
Actually, a better tactic is to wound the enemy, each wounded soldier takes another to carry him off the battlefield.
The Following User Says Thank You to mongo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 AM
BJJ_Grappler's Avatar
BJJ_Grappler BJJ_Grappler is online now
Allergic to Bull****
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 10,867
Thanks: 10,728
Thanked 15,622 Times in 5,527 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneDOM View Post
I don't know how I should be classified exactly, if either the 10 or 9 because I have never been in a real life combat situation (thank god!)

Though I have had some "experience" (if you can call mil-sim paintball/airsoft experience) with maneuvers such as "Fire and movement" or "Bounding Over watch" ect.. small team maneuvers

how I would react under fire is remains to bee seen. And I sincerely hope I never have to... (I have the utmost respect for combat veterans, I have no idea how they do it.)

I have been to Mexico and had to misfortune of having the Mexican army and the cartels go at it real close by, but wasn't exactly freaking out. (mainly because I knew they were NOT shooting at me so take it for what it is.)
I will help you out, you are in the 80.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Dragunov's Avatar
Dragunov Dragunov is offline
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Great Republic of Texas!
Posts: 4,732
Thanks: 6,245
Thanked 6,831 Times in 2,686 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
Actually, a better tactic is to wound the enemy, each wounded soldier takes another to carry him off the battlefield.
I disagree. A dead enemy doesn't heal up for you to have to confront again. A wounded enemy can STILL shoot you. A wounded enemy will heal, then come back after you again. Best tactic is to kill all of them, then let God sort 'em out. The only thing wounding does is add stress to the enemy. It doesn't stop them from shooting at you. A distraction only.

After killing the enemy, they will still try and retrieve the body at which point, you kill the ones doing the retrieving. The only time wounding an enemy is of benefit is if you're sniping.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Bucksnort Bucksnort is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,124
Thanks: 1,658
Thanked 2,253 Times in 801 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
You make great points, and absolutely correct in your assessment of "prey" and "opponent"! Just keep in mind, A fighter is someone who must be prodded, one who most of the time is forced into a confrontation, and will only fight if necessary.
A warrior lives to fight, trains to fight, wants to fight, and is far more devastating in battle. A warrior goes into battle singing so as to unnerve his enemy. A proven Viking tactic! A fighter is reactionary.... A warrior is proactive. We all may have no CHOICE but to be warriors before all this crap blows over.
I think that what you're saying is true, but it doesn't make 'warriors' bulletproof. I'm a veteran, I work in a max security prison cell block, and I've been there/done that, etc. I think I'd still rather sit back in my hidey hole and snipe my enemies.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bucksnort For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Bucksnort Bucksnort is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,124
Thanks: 1,658
Thanked 2,253 Times in 801 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post

When I walk through a crowd, everyone moves out of my way. (I don't notice this, but my wife tells me it happens).........That's me in my avatar, I don't think I look menacing, in fact I try to be a nice guy.
It's the headband. Definitely the headband.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bucksnort For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Bucksnort Bucksnort is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,124
Thanks: 1,658
Thanked 2,253 Times in 801 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lono View Post
The Mastermind::

http://www.keirsey.com/4temps/mastermind.asp

Read'em & weep - click on the 4 headers at the top of the link for all the info::

http://www.personalitydesk.com/intj
We did an exercise similar to this when I went to the academy, for my job. Out of a 240 person class, there were 5 of us that were 'masterminds'. Not surprisingly, there were a lot of 'protectors'.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bucksnort For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Prudence Prudence is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 295
Thanks: 3,779
Thanked 386 Times in 189 Posts
Default

Not a badass in any way, shape or form! Put me behind the lines. I will cook for you, find food for you, make hot coffee for you, clean and dress your wounds, clean your gear, keep watch over you while you sleep, and reload your weapons for you if we're under siege.

I will keep a pistol handy in case of skulking zombies, but I know I don't have what it takes to go running into combat. However, I think I have what it takes to drag you back and patch you up.

God bless all you fighting men and women. May He keep you safe always.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prudence For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 04:09 PM
craigevil's Avatar
craigevil craigevil is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 453
Thanks: 38
Thanked 521 Times in 230 Posts
Default

How tough are you?

My answer is from Monty Python:"King Arthur: Run away! "
The Following User Says Thank You to craigevil For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Lono's Avatar
Lono Lono is offline
Standing With Israel
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fascist Occupied America
Age: 62
Posts: 4,281
Thanks: 7,607
Thanked 9,417 Times in 3,147 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post

. . . I'd say that I'm tough enough to die fighting. I'd rather die free than live enslaved in a concentration camp.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
- General George S. Patton Jr.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post

. . . just remember that dying doesn't win the war..... Killing the enemy a$$hole across from you wins the war. It all depends on if you have the balls to "flip the switch" or not. Those who can't will probably die. Those that do, will probably survive.

"Be the hunter, not the hunted: Never allow your unit to be caught with its guard down."
- Marine General James Mattis


I was visiting someone a while back and they had a neighbor 3 houses down the street with a bad rottweiler who would attack anyone in the area. I had heard about this dog. When I got out of my car and was walking up to the house I was visiting, I heard the sound of claws on the street "spinning out". Here was this dog sprinting up the middle of the street at me from 3 ranch houses away. Now, I'm a runner, and pretty damn fast . . . I turned and charged down the middle of the road in a dead out 100 yard sprint. We closed on each other very fast, I was looking at a dead rottweiler. At the last milli second the rottweiler broke off, and with his momentum flew right by me, did an about face, and ran home yelping with me in hot pursuit.

That was a very lucky dog.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lono For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Steve28's Avatar
Steve28 Steve28 is offline
Get off my ice.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Age: 44
Posts: 10,616
Thanks: 34,860
Thanked 37,246 Times in 9,202 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lono View Post
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
- General George S. Patton Jr.





"Be the hunter, not the hunted: Never allow your unit to be caught with its guard down."
- Marine General James Mattis

I was visiting someone a while back and they had a neighbor 3 houses down the street with a bad rottweiler who would attack anyone in the area. I had heard about this dog. When I got out of my car and was walking up to the house I was visiting, I heard the sound of claws on the street "spinning out". Here was this dog sprinting up the middle of the street at me from 3 ranch houses away. Now, I'm a runner, and pretty damn fast . . . I turned and charged down the middle of the road in a dead out 100 yard sprint. We closed on each other very fast, I was looking at a dead rottweiler. At the last milli second the rottweiler broke off, and with his momentum flew right by me, did an about face, and ran home yelping with me in hot pursuit.

That was a very lucky dog.
Heh. I would have loved to have seen that. I got pinned by one of those buggers on the sidewalk walking home from work at 1am one night when I was about 20. Heard the rott running up behind me. I turned and held my kit bag in front of my privates, facing him and not moving , and not making eye contact while the dog let off his most threatening and ferocious barks. I just didn't react (so as not to provoke the beast) and after a few minutes he seemed to get confused because nothing was happening, the barks tapered off and he went on his way.

Fortunately I didn't have to change my undies afterwards, damn those jaws are huge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve28 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Joe-R's Avatar
Joe-R Joe-R is offline
Hold my Beer & watch this
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Third rock from the sun
Age: 60
Posts: 599
Thanks: 511
Thanked 457 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Just a stoner who dodged the bullet & came home alive.
Joe-R
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe-R For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 12:29 AM
mongo's Avatar
mongo mongo is offline
tinfoil bandana
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Too close to Detroit
Posts: 1,136
Thanks: 50
Thanked 833 Times in 392 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve28 View Post
Heh. I would have loved to have seen that. I got pinned by one of those buggers on the sidewalk walking home from work at 1am one night when I was about 20. Heard the rott running up behind me. I turned and held my kit bag in front of my privates, facing him and not moving , and not making eye contact while the dog let off his most threatening and ferocious barks. I just didn't react (so as not to provoke the beast) and after a few minutes he seemed to get confused because nothing was happening, the barks tapered off and he went on his way.

Fortunately I didn't have to change my undies afterwards, damn those jaws are huge.
When I did TV service, one of the customers has a Dober-Dane that was big, ugly, and must have had cockleburrs up it's rear since it was a pup. We had to call ahead and make sure they had the dog locked in the garage.

One day, it wasn't.


Cleared a 6 foot privacy fence and was going straight for me. I already had the toolbox in my hand so I swung it as hard as I could and connected with the dog's jaw- right near the hinge. The dog dropped.


I got sued.


Judge threw the case out, telling the owners that I did not have to let any dog gnaw on my face.
The Following User Says Thank You to mongo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 AM
Steve28's Avatar
Steve28 Steve28 is offline
Get off my ice.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Age: 44
Posts: 10,616
Thanks: 34,860
Thanked 37,246 Times in 9,202 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
When I did TV service, one of the customers has a Dober-Dane that was big, ugly, and must have had cockleburrs up it's rear since it was a pup. We had to call ahead and make sure they had the dog locked in the garage.

One day, it wasn't.


Cleared a 6 foot privacy fence and was going straight for me. I already had the toolbox in my hand so I swung it as hard as I could and connected with the dog's jaw- right near the hinge. The dog dropped.


I got sued.


Judge threw the case out, telling the owners that I did not have to let any dog gnaw on my face.
Nice to hear that now and again the courts make sense.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Oldvernie Oldvernie is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: On the Green River...
Posts: 1,234
Thanks: 2,973
Thanked 1,429 Times in 634 Posts
Default

I shouldn't be there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldvernie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 AM
darkofnight's Avatar
darkofnight darkofnight is offline
First virtue is strength
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 796
Thanks: 1,691
Thanked 957 Times in 409 Posts
Cool A few thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
You make great points, and absolutely correct in your assessment of "prey" and "opponent"! Just keep in mind, A fighter is someone who must be prodded, one who most of the time is forced into a confrontation, and will only fight if necessary.
A warrior lives to fight, trains to fight, wants to fight, and is far more devastating in battle. A warrior goes into battle singing so as to unnerve his enemy. A proven Viking tactic! A fighter is reactionary.... A warrior is proactive. We all may have no CHOICE but to be warriors before all this crap blows over.
Drag, I used to not have to be prodded.. I actually enjoyed the fight; did that make me a bada$$? Not particularly, just good at it (which is kind of why I did it - personal challenge). Fighters are not necessarily forced into it is my point.

Positive the 'proven viking technique' is still in use as I have NOT been seen driving arount the fricking desert playing 'tank noises' and AC/DC from a giant speaker attatched to a humvee ~ I couldn't have been anywhere psyops was not supposed to be at a given time, EVER !! (by the way, if you can tell a viking's direction from the singing.. drop a couple of projectiles in their chests at long range).

As fr my training? Some was forced upon me (not unwillingly, admittedly) most of it was something I sought out. I know that I don't want to have to use it now, or tomorrow because well, that's just a really bad sign, ya know

Merry Christmas everyone.. happiness is a warm gun!

And Lono, yes, you got it in one.. INTJ ? My question for you is : Why would INTJ's be rare on a site dealing with being both responsible and self reliant and the various ways of doing that when SHTF?

Last edited by darkofnight; 12-25-2012 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: additional remarks
The Following User Says Thank You to darkofnight For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Lono's Avatar
Lono Lono is offline
Standing With Israel
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fascist Occupied America
Age: 62
Posts: 4,281
Thanks: 7,607
Thanked 9,417 Times in 3,147 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkofnight View Post

And Lono, yes, you got it in one.. INTJ ? My question for you is : Why would INTJ's be rare on a site dealing with being both responsible and self reliant and the various ways of doing that when SHTF?
I didn't mean rare on this site, but rare in the general population. I would expect them to be here, just not in such huge numbers relative to other types, being that INTJs are around 3% of the population.

Not to derail the thread, but I find it interesting that other types, in general, don't see the pending SHTF despite the overwhelming evidence.

Merry Christmas my brothers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lono For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 01:49 PM
mzoltan14 mzoltan14 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hungary
Age: 26
Posts: 71
Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeds View Post
Check out your history,
Even with out weapons you Hungarians put up a pretty decent fight with the Nazis. Besides one of the most dangerous people I know is a Hungarian Jew that studied Chemical Engineering at the University of Budapest. He designed things that propel projectiles.
I like to rather look at it this way:
Guy A is dumb and Guy A holds a bow louded towards Guy B and Guy B is smart. Therefore Guy B designes flintlock black powder rifle or something so Guy B can have a such a thing therefore Guy B can later hold a black powder rifle at the head of Guy C and Guy C is smart, therefore Guy C creates smokeless powder repeater weapon, therefor Guy D who is is realy Guy B just younger holds ...
So now what we have is assentialyl a Guy B dumb ownder manipulator of forcefull agression and a Guy A. But make no mistake, they have another aproache (!). develop something wich is good for other people and with a slight repurposing you can use it as a weapon (!).
btw i have nothing of weapon sort so im not dangerous and i dont have much influence so i cant change society to be better. :[ i dont want to work for them .. i want a better society not to be good for them.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Steve28's Avatar
Steve28 Steve28 is offline
Get off my ice.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Age: 44
Posts: 10,616
Thanks: 34,860
Thanked 37,246 Times in 9,202 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzoltan14 View Post
I like to rather look at it this way:
Guy A is dumb and Guy A holds a bow louded towards Guy B and Guy B is smart. Therefore Guy B designes flintlock black powder rifle or something so Guy B can have a such a thing therefore Guy B can later hold a black powder rifle at the head of Guy C and Guy C is smart, therefore Guy C creates smokeless powder repeater weapon, therefor Guy D who is is realy Guy B just younger holds ...
So now what we have is assentialyl a Guy B dumb ownder manipulator of forcefull agression and a Guy A. But make no mistake, they have another aproache (!). develop something wich is good for other people and with a slight repurposing you can use it as a weapon (!).
btw i have nothing of weapon sort so im not dangerous and i dont have much influence so i cant change society to be better. :[ i dont want to work for them .. i want a better society not to be good for them.
You alright, buddy? Should I call the paramedics?
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve28 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 03:35 PM
darkofnight's Avatar
darkofnight darkofnight is offline
First virtue is strength
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 796
Thanks: 1,691
Thanked 957 Times in 409 Posts
Talking Arrows for Christmas

He is SO not alRIGHT :D! He's imagining that every weapon is a result of a threat and then fails to deal with that threat but, rather, is aimed at a bystander. Nevermind that while his 'guy B' was designing the first firearm he turned into a HUMAN PINCUSHION.

Merry Christmas Mzoltan 14 and everyone else.. no matter how skewed your views are. (that's meant as REAL good wishes and humor in case it was lost in translation)
Old 12-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Prepping Prepping is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington State
Posts: 8,606
Thanks: 6,006
Thanked 14,228 Times in 4,992 Posts
Default

I am harmless, happy, friendly and helpful...I'm not only a softie I'm a lazy one at that with a sense of mirth. and a distinct love of comforts and hatred for excitement. I'd be a frigging hobbit if such existed. I even have hairy feet.

So I'm not tough at all..this is why I prep.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Prepping For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Having a tough time deciding on a ccw / shtf pistol. Studio BK Pistol and Revolver Forum 40 02-16-2012 02:51 AM
Updated post shtf poll Spook Polls and Surveys 7 06-09-2011 02:48 AM
A Post SHTF World (What Happens Poll) OhioMan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 10 05-20-2011 06:44 PM
The Actions of Non-Christians During SHTF (poll) ActionJackson Religious Discussion 60 12-11-2009 06:57 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net