Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,602 Times in 4,208 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOpie View Post
thanks! do you think utilities would stay online for any extended period of time or is this scenario taking out society for years?
This is something that's hard to predict. So much of normal life in the U.S. is heavily labor dependent. It takes lots of skilled workers to run the power grid; enormous amounts of labor to transport food and goods; hundreds of man-hours to keep communications, infrastructure, government going... Logically, if enough people get sick (or self isolate and refuse to go to work), these will start to fail. Which will probably lead to a domino like, cascading failure (if the power goes out, water won't flow, gasoline and diesel won't pump, transport will slow down, cell phones won't work, etc, etc). I'm sure every effort will be made to keep utilities working; whether that will be possible will depend on how severe any pandemic / biological attack is, how long it lasts, and if people get scared enough they refuse to work...

Quote:
I'm more nervous about a pandemic than I probably should be but we have national Jewish health hospital which brings more serious respiratory cases here. like that extremely resistant tuberculosis a few years ago. I can see a pandemic escaping from that hospital.
Actually, you're probably NOT more nervous than you should be. Pandemic scares the heck out of me, it's one of those things people underestimate because they don't know how bad it can get. Economic collapse, terrorism, sinister conspiracies: Many here focus on those, but the worst Man can do isn't a patch on what Mother Nature can unleash.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,046 Times in 3,635 Posts

Ebolapox? Now that one makes my uneasy-lump itch..... Of the Four Horsemen, plague is the one that is the scariest, for most of us. That said, people are upset, and when we're upset, we humans get pessimistic.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 2,285 Times in 851 Posts

I'd say have as much food/water/fuel stocked up so as to remain isolated until it runs it's course. The more remote an area/smaller population will also help to avoid infection.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doh Myn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Hunter

Being in sparcely populated area may not work. I live in such area and back in 1918 there were even fewer interaction between people, no electricity, no paved roads, most people were growing their own food etc., yet about 25% percent of local population got sick. Some of possible explanations were mailman visits etc., but we really don't know. To me, this is a great mystery.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:31 AM
I'd double tap that.

Thanked 6,692 Times in 2,381 Posts

good stuff.

one suggestion is to isolate for six weeks... is that the minimum or an estimate average guess? what signs would you look for before venturing out again? or is there a maximum duration where you'd feel very comfortable that the pandemic ran its course?
Old 12-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Hunter

Quote:
good stuff.

one suggestion is to isolate for six weeks... is that the minimum or an estimate average guess? what signs would you look for before venturing out again? or is there a maximum duration where you'd feel very comfortable that the pandemic ran its course?
This is what happened in 1918: in Philly, they decided six weeks is enough and resumed schooling. Which of course, killed the students. And then the statisticians used that example for 80 years to prove that quarantine doesn't work. The epidemic itself lasted 2 full years. Moreover it was implicated in outbreaks of other serious diseases for years to come. Apparently, nowhere on Earth was safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GG42 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 07:36 PM

Can anyone point me in the right direction on the name of the TV show that featured Ebolapox? I'm a big fan of Ken Alibek (albeit not of his previous work in Russia) and I'd love to download the show.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 PM
Beer Solves Anything

Thanked 2,653 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
Can anyone point me in the right direction on the name of the TV show that featured Ebolapox? I'm a big fan of Ken Alibek (albeit not of his previous work in Russia) and I'd love to download the show.
http://www.history.ca/2012theendisnow
Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Trapper

Quarantine worked very well, but only where it was strictly implemented.

Australia managed to avoid the first two waves by strict quarantine of all arriving ships.

Quarantine failed for them in the third wave, but that was much less deadly.

Some more isolated maritime outposts missed the 1918 pandemic completely (_no_ ships allowed to land).

There was at least one town in the inter-mountain western U.S. that posted signs to the effect of "step off the train here and go directly to jail for quarantine" that also avoided infection.

Few towns were willing to restrict commerce to that extent, however.

Plus as it was wartime authorities would not cancel propaganda (e.g. "buy war bonds!") rallies in large U.S. cities (IIRC, Philadelphia was particularly hard hit because of this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
Being in sparcely populated area may not work. I live in such area and back in 1918 there were even fewer interaction between people, no electricity, no paved roads, most people were growing their own food etc., yet about 25% percent of local population got sick. Some of possible explanations were mailman visits etc., but we really don't know. To me, this is a great mystery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ncbill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,111 Times in 2,157 Posts

The best thing to do in the event of a biological event is to stay at home and avoid close contact with other people. Should you have to go outside for whatever, keep your distance as best you can from other people. Use a paper towel to handle things that have been handled by possibly infected people (or sterilize them if practical). Exercise basic precautions such as a surgical mask, goggles and disposable gloves and wash yourself and launder clothes thoroughly afterward should you need to interact with strangers. Keep your house clean and free of flies, mosquitoes, fleas and other biting insects.

The ways you get infected are thru mucous membranes, inhalation, eating/drinking, insect vectors or exposure of an open wound. Cover those and you will be safe. No disease vector survives well in sunlight and fresh air. Unless somebody specifically targets your house as ground zero or you are caring for infected people, you are not going to need positive ventilation, nanofiltered air, moon suits or the other precautions a hospital uses when dealing with infectious and deadly diseases.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:38 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,811 Posts

Live in northern Montana.