Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 PM

Default Pressure Canning Meat With a Rocket Stove

Advertise Here

We trapped and butchered some wild feral hogs. I decided to do an experiment and see how challenging it would be to pressure can the ground meat on my Stovetec Rocket stove. Turned out really well:

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tejasterry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 PM

I did not mean to put this post in the VIP section. Sorry, and now I can't figure out how to delete it. I re-posted to the regular area.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM
One with everything...

Roll with it... I didn't see it there, but I did here.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 AM
We are at DEFCON 1

Thanked 8,210 Times in 3,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejasterry View Post
I did not mean to put this post in the VIP section. Sorry, and now I can't figure out how to delete it. I re-posted to the regular area.
I moved it to the non VIP section for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to felicia For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Prepared

I know absolutely nothing about canning or pressure canning, but I was wondering why you were so worried about the pressure going over 10 psi? To my uneducated mind I thought that was what the weight was for, it dances and releases pressure when it gets over 10 lbs. 2ndly as long as the thing doesn't blow up doesn't a higher pressure kill pathogeons same as 10 lbs? Thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 07:21 AM

Great video, thanks! Do you have a guesstimate on how much wood you used?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjedi View Post
I know absolutely nothing about canning or pressure canning, but I was wondering why you were so worried about the pressure going over 10 psi? To my uneducated mind I thought that was what the weight was for, it dances and releases pressure when it gets over 10 lbs. 2ndly as long as the thing doesn't blow up doesn't a higher pressure kill pathogeons same as 10 lbs? Thanks
Your goal is to keep it to the pressure recommended for your elevation by the Food and Drug Admin, and the canning books such as Ball Blue Book of Canning. If it continually is way over your suggested amount, for instance mine was 10, then it is releasing steam too much. I've been taught that it is ideal to have it slightly rock and release steam 1 to 4 times per minute.

I'm going to do another video on this, because I sent my vid to Stovetec, and the guy gave me some really good hints for regulating my heat better.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE_Prepper View Post
Great video, thanks! Do you have a guesstimate on how much wood you used?
It wasn't a lot of wood, and I had it going for probably all of 2 hours. The point of the stovetec is that it uses very little scrap wood to make a fire and maintain it. A lot less than cooking over a traditional fire wood take.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 24,007 Times in 7,291 Posts

Terry, what were the hints the Stovetec guy gave you?

How much soot did you end up with on the canner? I was surprised how little smoke that stove produced.

I find your reasoning for doing this interesting--one of the earliest things I did when I started prepping about 3-4 years ago was buy a King Kooker propane burner so I could do the same thing you are--and for the same reasons. I had a lot of meat stored in my freezer--what if power went out for an extended period?

So I figured the answer was pressure canning it.

I have the All American 921 so it wouldn't probably work well with the StoveTec. But now you have me thinking of a backup. I have bricks put away to make a rocket stove, not sure how well that would work with the larger 921.

Anyway, thank you for the info.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,685 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjedi View Post
As long as his pressure is meeting the requirement for the food item selected, overpressurizatioin of the chamber and the resulting release of over pressure is simply a byproduct of excess heat applied. I was taught to continue to reduce input heat until you maintain the desired pressure with an occasional venting. This occasional venting is your indicator that things inside the vessel are working properly. I love canning.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ULTRAMAGNUM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAMAGNUM View Post
As long as his pressure is meeting the requirement for the food item selected, overpressurizatioin of the chamber and the resulting release of over pressure is simply a byproduct of excess heat applied. I was taught to continue to reduce input heat until you maintain the desired pressure with an occasional venting. This occasional venting is your indicator that things inside the vessel are working properly. I love canning.
thanks UMag, that's what I was trying to say. You have a great way with words ! I love canning too !
The Following User Says Thank You to tejasterry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
Terry, what were the hints the Stovetec guy gave you?

How much soot did you end up with on the canner? I was surprised how little smoke that stove produced.

I find your reasoning for doing this interesting--one of the earliest things I did when I started prepping about 3-4 years ago was buy a King Kooker propane burner so I could do the same thing you are--and for the same reasons. I had a lot of meat stored in my freezer--what if power went out for an extended period?

So I figured the answer was pressure canning it.

I have the All American 921 so it wouldn't probably work well with the StoveTec. But now you have me thinking of a backup. I have bricks put away to make a rocket stove, not sure how well that would work with the larger 921.

Anyway, thank you for the info.
The soot wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but definitely had some cleaning to do. I'm posting Stovetec's email here, but wish I had known his tips for cleaning soot prior to doing my experiment. I also have the All American 921 and yes, I think it would be too heavy for this small of a rocket stove. And yes, my main concern is a long term SHTF situation where perhaps we won't have electricity. First thing we would do is build a smoke house, but in the meantime, I would have my canners going to preserve the meat in the freezer. We have a 120 gallon propane tank to my kitchen stove, but if that ever ran how and there was no propane available, I think this is when canning on something like the rocket stove would be so important. Here is Stovetec guy's email tips after he watched my video:

1. Add more small tinder lighting your stove, you did not have adequate tinder to ignite your stove efficiently. It is easier to light the stove with an adequate amount of match sized twigs for tinder.

2. Keep your fuels sticks 1/4" - 1/2" diameter x 10" -12" long always close (1/8" apart) and 1 to 1 & 1/2" off back wall of combustion chamber.

3. Both doors are fully open until you have reached boiling temperature using the pot skirt and the lid of your All American cooker on.

4. At a boil 20 -22 minutes or sooner, shut the top door and keep the bottom door cracked open about a 1/16th on an inch. The bottom door fully shut is used to kill the embers. Your fire kept going only because you had the top door open, however the ventilation was being provided inadequately through the top door. It is an inefficient method of controlling the air flow. Fine tuned air control is reached by learning to coordinate the bottom door air flow to regulate the embers above with the top door shut. After you have a nice bed of embers above, shut it completely and learn to regulate the temperature with the bottom door only.

5. Spray the aluminum pot exterior with Krud Kutter (found at all hardware stores) and wiping soot off with paper towel before washing, this will make cleaning the soot off much easier.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tejasterry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't wanna talk about

You might try rubbing the bottom of your cooking vessel with dish washing soap before using it over a wood fire. Makes clean up a lot easier.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dgr For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 PM
?

Thanked 1,590 Times in 648 Posts

Thanks for posting all this! Canning meat and getting a StoveTec are on my agenda for next year. This is super helpful!
The Following User Says Thank You to allye For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 PM
?

editing...........................

Last edited by allye; 02-08-2013 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: makes no sense now that the post I quoted is edited out
Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,521 Times in 1,632 Posts

I second coating the outside lower sides & bottom with dish detergent. I do that when I'm going camping. I don't wash the whole pot, just the inside. When I get home it's a snap to clean the bottom and sides.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:25 PM
?

edited.................

Last edited by allye; 02-08-2013 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: makes no sense since the post I quoted has been edited out