Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM

Default Looking For a Mid-Size Knife

Advertise Here

After my last hiking trip, I decided I should get a middle sized knife. I'm looking for a Bushcraft/B.O.K./General Purpose knife with a 4"-6" blade without a partial serration. Some of the ones I've been eyeing are:
-Buck Hood Punk
-ESEE-4
-TOPS B.O.B
-Cold Steel SRK
These aren't the only ones. Please give me recommendations, alternatives, insights, reviews. How do they hold up with edge retention, steel quality, usefulness, price, and ergonomics rate?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

this is my edc knife and its serves me well for all tasks and holds a razor edge a long time brand is woodsknife and it will set you back about $60
Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,059 Times in 532 Posts

Of the knives you listed,I would go with the ESEE.
You can also consider the BK16 or BK17.
They're both good utility/all around camp knives.

http://www.tomarskabars.com/Becker_Knives_P2.html

Let us know what you decide to get .

Cliff
Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 AM

blind horse makes a good edc neck knife called the tiger knapp. good all around knife. use to carry it under my shirt everywhere. frees up your pockets and with the kydex sheath it doesn't poke out to much. if you wear an under shirt it's pretty comfortable under say a work shirt or something.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM

My preference is the Puma original Bowie, it holds an edge even when chopping mesquite wood, oozes style, and comes with an excellent sheath. The grip is a bit of a PITA however.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,556 Times in 1,523 Posts

If price is a factor then a Condor Bushlore. About 23-30 dollars depending on where you buy. I got one as a gift. It's really stout. The handle needed a little sanding and tung oil. The blade was a little rough but cleaned up nicely. Has been keeping its edge well. It is a thick knife. I prefer thinner. Sheath is great- well made and heavy duty. I would recommend it if you don't mind spending a little time on it. That keeps the price down. You can also see if you like the bushlore style without spending a lot. I use a Buck 110 for my folder and a Mora Companion for my middle size knife. I don't care for a belt knife though. Always seems to get in the way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nutty Old Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Prepared

Talking

If I may, I would nominate the new SOG Field Pup II. They are about 10 1/2 inches long and very sharp.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Prepared

My choice would be a benchmade Nimravus,I realy like mine.

Murfdog
Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,292 Times in 5,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Nieporte View Post
Of the knives you listed,I would go with the ESEE.
You can also consider the BK16 or BK17.
They're both good utility/all around camp knives.

http://www.tomarskabars.com/Becker_Knives_P2.html

Let us know what you decide to get .

Cliff
If you go for that you may also want to look at the kabar mark 1.

People tend to like one or the other.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 AM
(-.(-.-).-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
If you go for that you may also want to look at the kabar mark 1.

People tend to like one or the other.

This is the next knife I want. The price in US is very good, unfortunately once again no one is selling it in Bulgaria

Only one place sells Ka Bars and knowing their pricing... They sell BK2s for 100+ dollars. I can only imagine MK1 price if they ever sell it.
The Following User Says Thank You to thelast For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM

ESEE or Bark River..
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 PM

Im thinking about buying an ESEE 4 or 6
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM

actually the 5
Old 12-19-2012, 09:32 AM
Blame Canada.

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matamus View Post
After my last hiking trip, I decided I should get a middle sized knife. I'm looking for a Bushcraft/B.O.K./General Purpose knife with a 4"-6" blade without a partial serration. Some of the ones I've been eyeing are:
-Buck Hood Punk
-ESEE-4
-TOPS B.O.B
-Cold Steel SRK
These aren't the only ones. Please give me recommendations, alternatives, insights, reviews. How do they hold up with edge retention, steel quality, usefulness, price, and ergonomics rate?
Buck Punk,- Its no secret that I am a fan of the Buck/Hood knives. The Punk, like the Hoodlum is a tough knife, easy to sharpen and it keeps the edge just like the big version. The only gripe I have is the sheath. As it comes it rattles to much and does not retain the knife well. 10 minute mod and its good to go. Good ergo's on the knife to.

ESEE-4,- I have settled on the 3 after messing with the 4 and the laser strike. The knives from ESEE do come with little "production" knife quarks, but they are few, and really only an issue for blade snobs. And for the money you get an awesome sheath that actually retains the blade. Cant go wrong with anything from ESEE.

Cold Steel SRK,- This knife gets some guff for something, but I forget what. It comes with a good sheath that retains the blade very well, its easy to get sharp, and keep sharp, and its tough as nails. Its about a straight forward a knife as you can get.

Cant say much about the TOPS knife other then I have never seen a grumpy TOPS owner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vacas Locas For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,816 Times in 2,697 Posts

Condor Rodan
Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Prepared

I have no idea "when". Even if a collapse happens we are a strong society. But don't compare this collapse to the 1930 depression. Their are 3 times the people living today as in the depression. So the real danger comes from having two disasters at the same time. "A perfect storm" so to speak. People are not going to watch there children starve. So Don't ask stupid questions like what knife should I get? or what do you think of a SHTF muzzle loader? Those people will be killed off (as food) early in the disaster.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Prepared

Buck Vanguard with the 'grippy' rubber handle.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 PM
+

Thanked 2,831 Times in 916 Posts

A lot of good choices out there. Plenty that I'm sure you'd be happy with. I'm partial to KaBar and Becker so I'll tell you about those. I've owned a lot of knives, but when I thinned out my collection these are the 3 "mid sized" that I kept.

BK-16 (FPR)
BK-17
Mark-1

All 3 are 1095 CroVan and I think it's excellent knife steel. Tough, easy to sharpen, and holds an edge well. It's a carbon steel and there is some potential for rust in wet environments. Nothing a patina won't solve.

Price point on the Beckers isn't too bad. Got mine for <$60. The Mark-1 is a steal. Think this latest one cost me $41.

I'd say the Mark-1 is the most useful. Flat grind is very "slicey". Handle is very grippy. Large flat pommel works for an improvised hammer. Comes to a nice point which is good for certain tasks in processing game. This is my second Mark-1. Lost my origonal and missed it so much I had to get another. Look forward to putting some miles on it.

The Beckers are tougher and truly full tang. The scale handles make them more serviceable in the event of handle damage. Though I never had any problems with blade or handle durability on my old Mark-1 and it took a lot of hard use. The big plus to removable scales for me is that I don't like coated blades and they are easier to strip and patina. The Becker ergos are superior to the Mark-1, but it's still pretty nice in the hand. Some guys stipple or texture the scales with a soldering iron. Personally I haven't felt the need. Really like the jimping on the spine. The one I carry most lately is the BK-17.

Should add I wear a size L glove and these are a good fit for me. But if you got really big hands you need to look elsewhere. As I said, there are many good choices. These are just mine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakota For This Useful Post: