Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 AM

Default Thank goodness for the meat department at the supermarket.

Advertise Here

I make no claims at being any sort of successful hunter. In fact, I think my recent experiences have shown me to be quite the opposite. This isn't going to stop me from going out and practicing though.

I have been getting in many miles of gun walks, and without a single large animal kill to my credit. It really has opened my eyes to the idea that if things were to hit the fan, the odds of being able to survive by going out and killing wild game would be a bit on the dismal side.

I wrote up a blog posting describing my recent attempts at hog hunting. I'll get one, one of these days. But until then, I'll be eating pork that came wrapped in cellophane.

http://monkeyweazeladventures.wordpr...ng-with-a-gun/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flying-Monkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Accuracy is Final

Keep at it! That is why it is called hunting and not killing. My best day of hunting ever was this year, a day where we did not get an animal. I have found that I learn something everytime I am out hunting. I see new sights and experience new things. There is more to hunting then killing an animal, although I do enjoy that part! Don't give up and enjoy the outdoors and the fact that you have the ability to hunt. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Getting There!

Thanked 6,011 Times in 2,918 Posts

Pigs are pretty darned smart. Deer are usually lured in, rather than found walking around in the woods.

I enjoyed your write up. Squirrels. Haha. Elusive little rats.
The Following User Says Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Grain of sand

Thanked 5,231 Times in 1,561 Posts

I feel your pain Flying Monkey! I may hunt but I am not good at it. I think my hair/beauty products put off too much scent. I'm gonna start using my husband's scent lock clothes and washes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsymoonfarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Plants don't run!

Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
I make no claims at being any sort of successful hunter. In fact, I think my recent experiences have shown me to be quite the opposite. This isn't going to stop me from going out and practicing though.

I have been getting in many miles of gun walks, and without a single large animal kill to my credit. It really has opened my eyes to the idea that if things were to hit the fan, the odds of being able to survive by going out and killing wild game would be a bit on the dismal side.

I wrote up a blog posting describing my recent attempts at hog hunting. I'll get one, one of these days. But until then, I'll be eating pork that came wrapped in cellophane.

http://monkeyweazeladventures.wordpr...ng-with-a-gun/
My most efficient expenditure to calories produce method of acquiring meat is through trapping. "Passive hunting" if successful, will often cost you less calories than active hunting and, theoretically, will produce more as you can have traps in multiple locations going 24 hours a day working at getting food for you until they are triggered.

When we examine human coprolite of known hunter-gatherers, we've found that many of their diets have consisted of 60-80% plant material and 20-40% animal material (with 40% being rarer and closer to 20% being most common). We find this with many modern day hunter-gatherers living in the bush today. Analyzing what the meat they were eating was, it was most small mammals, rat-like creatures in size, and lizards. Rodents (small game) are typically abundant and available in higher concentrations per acre than more K-type species. R-Type species reproduce at a faster rate and replenish their numbers much quicker than more K-typical species which produce at a slower rate and have a longer maturation period (such as deer).

So, when some type of SHTF occurs, looking at history of our ancestors and of the people that are still LIVING this way today, it proves again and again that it's the little stuff that keeps you going while you wait for that larger game kill.

If you want to look at more importance in wilderness survival, plants are a major contributor to the hunter-gatherers diet. Composing 60-80% of a diet, that sends very big signals to me that anyone interested in longer term wilderness survival should become greatly proficient at identifying and collecting plants in their area. The Kalahari Bushmen consume over 70 different plant species seasonally year round. They live in the desert with a lacking in biodiversity. Bring a more temperate climate and we most likely have tons more plants available to us if we were just to dedicate time to becoming proficient at finding them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeoGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Plants don't run!

Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Pigs are pretty darned smart. Deer are usually lured in, rather than found walking around in the woods.

I enjoyed your write up. Squirrels. Haha. Elusive little rats.
Stalk hunting used to be the method of hunting deer in the UP until blind hunting became popular. It's just that setting up a deer ambush in a blind in front of a bait pile takes a lot less skill than tracking, stalking, and taking a proper close shot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeoGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Always Loaded

Thanked 2,370 Times in 818 Posts

Keep getting out there. Gotta play to win right? I have averaged one deer every year since I began hunting at 12, but didn't see a thing this season. Sometimes you can do everything right, but luck just doesn't shine on you. Try changing up your locations from time to time. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:58 AM
Aus Survival Instructors

I've 'stalk' hunted and killed with a bow, deer, pigs, goats, cats, rabbits, foxes, and other things.
It's not that difficult, if the game is actually in the area you are hunting, and you spot them first. (helps a lot!!!)

You need to understand the habits and daily routines of the game you hunt, and also tracking and looking for 'sign' then interpreting that sign. ie wallows, rub trees, scat, hair on fences, used trails etc

Understand wind direction and feeding/watering locations, and half the work is done for you.

Personally I have never sat in a proper blind, although I did wait sitting on a stool for 1.5 hours once, only to move onto another trail, and 10 minutes later, the biggest chital deer stag came to within 3 metres of where I'd been sitting previously. He was a nice stag.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enigma_1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Hunter

Ahhh yes, airing the rifle like it was a walking the dog! So many hours done that.

My experience says that I brought to many friends with me. Started to hunt alone, less noice. See more game. Better chances.

I try to pack less crap in my backpack. See if you can light yourself up. Less stuff in the pack = less noise.

Some good binoculars helps aswell!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,078 Posts

There was a reason mankind took to raising animals for food rather than hunting them. It was a much more reliable way to have meat. Post shtf the ones who say they'll live off wild game are going to be very hungry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to larryp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 AM
I love this forum

Good luck !
Old 12-17-2012, 08:11 PM

I took another whack at it this weekend. My wife and I returned to the swamps, me with my shotgun, and her with a new Remington 700 .243.

I was looking for ducks, and she was looking for deer and pigs.

http://monkeyweazeladventures.wordpr...with-the-wife/
The Following User Says Thank You to Flying-Monkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 6,011 Times in 2,918 Posts

Another really nice post. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Target Shooter

We usally tag out withing 15 min of season opening. We sit out in our sunroom and wait for the Deer and Elk to come to us. Its not that Im so good. Its that we enjoy great location. Witch is what its all about anymore. Sure you can go out and run the hills with all the other yahoos Or get a Rancher friend and hlp him out and earn rights to make it a sure thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dryades For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:42 PM
III%

Thanked 23,564 Times in 2,945 Posts

Hunting big game is far different than hunting small game such as rabbits and birds.

With deer, it should be an all year practice in awareness. Where do you see deer, and when. Do they use the trails regularly, and which deer trails lead to water, which to their favorite bedding areas. Wind direction- If the wind is at your back, everything in front of you knows you're coming, if it's in your face, they can't smell you.

So much more to hunting than most people think.