Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,628 Times in 6,688 Posts
Default Fresh meat after SHTF

Advertise Here

This is why I keep the feeders going all year, plus it helps to maintain the local wildlife.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ICAM0010.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	48

Some times we get wild hogs going to the feeder as well. If SHTF, or eotwawki we will have a supply of fresh meat, at least for a little while.

The time is one hour off, its still set from last hunting season.

Another good source of fresh meat after SHTF will be wild hogs. If you know someone with hog hunting dogs, talk to that person about going hog hunting.

A 100 pound hog can provide a small family with enough meat to sustain them for several days.

One of the big benefits to wild hogs during a long term SHTF situation, pigs breed like rats. If you and your hunting buddies can catch a boar hog and a sow, then you have a sustainable source of fresh meat.

The problem with bringing a wild hog home from the woods, chances are its going to try and break out of the pen.

If the sides of the pen has tin on the sides so the hog can not see what is on the other side, chances are its not going to ram the tin.

If you have a question about the forum, please post it in this section.
General questions sent through private messages will be ignored.

Last edited by kev; 12-14-2012 at 09:37 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Survival Comunications

The biggest thing I learned when I was living in Montana was to NOT shoot the animals NEAREST your home that way if you ever needed them in a pinch they would be there... Although I will confess that a wandering Moose or two got lead poisoning (Bang!) while crossing our property (once during a blizzard).

So this is what we called keeping our refigerator stocked "on the hoof"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ki4clz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 AM
patriarch

Thanked 1,738 Times in 904 Posts

Great article Kev... I wish we had the access to wild pigs around here. I do plan on raising fresh meet but also subsidising the skillet with wild game by hunting & trapping.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,006 Posts

I think the pigs are really worth investing in, breeding rates, they survive damn near anywhere, and tasty as well.
With in a few years of a true SHTF most of us will be happy to get a few mice from snap traps for the soup pot, or a few sparrows taken with the pellet gun. Enjoy your Bacon!!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Hiker

Living in Southern Illinois, I am darn glad we don't have wild hogs. I have a brother-in-law that lives in Texas who tells me he cannot have/grow anything without the hogs eating every thing in sight!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 PM

This is ironic. I just did a video on pressure canning feral hog meat on a stovetec rocket stove. We trapped them and ground the meat:

The Following User Says Thank You to tejasterry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM

Just wondering how much meat you guys/gals eat on a daily basis? On average the wife and I only eat about 15 pounds a month. Sometimes less. Just interested to see the difference between us and some of you more carnivorous folk.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Hunter

The freshest meat is the ones you keep alive till you need it.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 AM

One of my biggest concerns during a SHTF situation is the potential over harvesting of deer and other wildlife in my area. I wish I had the land to raise pigs and chickens.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Gatorbait

Depending on how many survivors there are, and how savvy they are locally, will depend on how much large game will actually be left. I would plan on getting used to opossum and snake meat. With no mass form of communication, how will you know that your neighbors down the hill are not blasting away deer and hogs like candy and the one you have your sights on could be the last in your area (The pioneers always thought there were more buffalo around the next bend because they didn't know that thousands of other settlers had the same mentality and were blasting away as well)? I agree that sustainable farming practice, such as raising your own herds, is the way to go.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:16 AM

Great post & vids!!!!!! Thx!!!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,153 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einherjar View Post
Just wondering how much meat you guys/gals eat on a daily basis? On average the wife and I only eat about 15 pounds a month. Sometimes less. Just interested to see the difference between us and some of you more carnivorous folk.
I'm a carnivore. If you count fish and birds as meat then I probably put away 15lbs worth all by myself in a week!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:15 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post
Great article Kev... I wish we had the access to wild pigs around here. I do plan on raising fresh meet but also subsidising the skillet with wild game by hunting & trapping.
Well they tend to destroy crops and other plants that deer and more palatable game than wild hogs eat, but they can breed like rabbits and get by innearly any climate.Domestic pigs that escape/get released will grow hair and tusks ( although not quite as pronounced as true russian boar)
Old 09-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Depending on how many survivors there are, and how savvy they are locally, will depend on how much large game will actually be left. I would plan on getting used to opossum and snake meat. With no mass form of communication, how will you know that your neighbors down the hill are not blasting away deer and hogs like candy and the one you have your sights on could be the last in your area (The pioneers always thought there were more buffalo around the next bend because they didn't know that thousands of other settlers had the same mentality and were blasting away as well)? I agree that sustainable farming practice, such as raising your own herds, is the way to go.
AKA anything that walks, crawls, slithers, or flys. Don't leave out growing stuff. Here in the middle of nowhere arkansas people raised food, ran cattle, and kept pigs, chickens, rabbits, turkeys, guinees, not to mention hunted and fished in their spare time, whatever they could do to survive.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Hiker

Even if you don't plan on taking up hunting as a regular hobby you should go hunting enough times to know how to field dress game if you start HAVING to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldiron_79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 01:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,485 Times in 2,000 Posts

Hogs are excellent. Couple vids on YT also suggest around camp that possums keep on the hoof for a while. Can be accomplished with a paracord collar and a paracord "leash and run" similar to a cable run for a dog. Provide something for them to hide in and be aware they may need a stop on each end of the 'paracable' so they dont climb the trees its tied on.

Coons and aggressive animals...probably not a good idea.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,450 Posts

If you have some sort of scrap food or seed that you can part with, you can continuously bait a certain area. Animals will continue to come there every day as long as there is food there. Then you don't need to worry about corralling them or confining them. You can go to that spot and set a trap or stake it out and shoot something whenever you want.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,108 Posts

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...xas-feral-pigs

in texas feral pig populations are exploding even with no restrictions. One sow can have 1000 babies in 5 years. Pigs can produce litters at 7-9 months old. etc

a hundred pound pig (50 pounds of meat) should last 1 person for 100 days or a family of 4 for a month. Half a pound per day is plenty of meat.