Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Backyard Shooter

Default Small "pistol-like" Crossbow?

Advertise Here

So I keep getting emails and magazines from BudK ever since I bought one thing from them like 2 years ago. Every time I look at them they seem to have these small lightweight pistol crossbows.

If you're not sure what I'm talking about here's an example:
http://budk.com/product/Outdoors-Survival/Crossbows/80lb-Cobra-System-Self-Cocking-Crossbow/pc/2959/c/0/sc/2966/156482.uts

I know it's only 80lbs but its small. I was thinking something like this might work well to strap on to the back of a BOB or other pack for travel. Bigger crossbows are pretty heavy but a crossbow is quieter than a gun. I have a gun that I would probably use for bigger game but bolts can also be retrieved while ammo cannot. I also remember seeing broadheads available for these things somewhere though I can't remember where.

I have very limited experience with crossbows so that's why I came here. What do you all think? Is something like this worth it? It's only $40, but it could be total crap too i suppose...
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 PM
locomotive jockey

Videos looks impressive but then again you cant believe anything on the internet For the price I peronally would do it just to see. If it works out then great. If not then the rest of us know not too lol Definatly a close range weapon and not for a stand off situation. Personally I believe the more weapons the merrier but thats just me......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Dawn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Backyard Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dawn View Post
Videos looks impressive but then again you cant believe anything on the internet For the price I peronally would do it just to see. If it works out then great. If not then the rest of us know not too lol Definatly a close range weapon and not for a stand off situation. Personally I believe the more weapons the merrier but thats just me......
Thanks, I think I'm going to try to get one. Some part of me wants it every time I see it, maybe just the novelty of it. Don't know. Gonna have to wait until after Christmas though. Money's kinda tight. I'll try to remember to let you guys know what its like if I get one.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 PM
locomotive jockey

I guess my only consern is the $40 price. seems kind of low compared to other crossbows I have seen. If nothing else it would be a good weapon to have stashed in a BOL or some place around the homestead for quick use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Dawn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,248 Times in 3,121 Posts

I'll put this as succinctly as possible.

They are a toy, an underpowered, not legal for hunting POS toy that is being sold by (for the most part) a disreputable dealer/maker who sells questionable goods made by, predominately Chinese, manufactures with lackadaisical quality control...You should know this by the piece you got from them.

Everybody buys a Bud K, Masters, United etc. el cheapo, crapola sometime in their collecting career...At least you asked before hand unlike so many who either laud their purchase for the superb deal (for crap) they got or lamenting their purchase afterwards.

The thing is, for handgun sized crossbows, no matter who makes or sells them, they are toys--just maybe not crappy toys--but, still toys...The best ones may hurt you at 10 yds but in most cases will just irate (the very close to you) attacker who'll then pummel you to death because you "really urined" him off.

If you can draw the string back with two fingers how much power do you think will be imparted to the mini bolt to shoot it...Killing is based on penetration and you need mass & velocity to achieve it...In this case you have neither--a miniscule, lightweight bolt fired by an inadequate prod.

Want a crossbow then buy a crossbow...Want a slingshot then buy a slingshot.

A sling bow would be 1,000% better choice yet they have their own sets of problems--like being able to hunt with them, etc..
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Backyard Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
They are a toy, an underpowered, not legal for hunting POS toy that is being sold by (for the most part) a disreputable dealer/maker who sells questionable goods made by, predominately Chinese, manufactures with lackadaisical quality control...You should know this by the piece you got from them.

Want a crossbow then buy a crossbow...Want a slingshot then buy a slingshot.
I appreciate your input. You definitely raised a few good points. I wasn't looking at this as something to defend my life. I've got guns for that kind of stuff.

Guess I'm just curious about it. I think I'm going to order one just to see. If it's as bad as you thoroughly believe then I'll give it to my 10 year old cousin as the toy that it is. I'm sure his mom will just love me for that!
The Following User Says Thank You to nvchad2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 PM

I have one of these (gift), they really aren't that great. The arrows really suck, the fletching piece breaks off or pops out of the aluminum shaft. I don't think you could really attach a broadhead. The worst part is the sight, you pretty much have to shoot it with no sights using only instinct due to the moving, flimsy sight.

Instead, I would buy some strong exersize band or tubing and DIY a powerful slingshot that would be much more effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to z1200 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

I agree w Seekher. I don't know where they get the idea that these things have an 80 lb pull on them, but it's more like 10. I bought one 30 years ago or so when they first popped up and they were crap then and they're crap now. A slingbow would be a much better option..........
Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Cheap and Good usually never go well together. That $40 could be used for a much better purpose. Just because you can doesn't always make it right.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6x7 View Post
I agree w Seekher. I don't know where they get the idea that these things have an 80 lb pull on them, but it's more like 10. I bought one 30 years ago or so when they first popped up and they were crap then and they're crap now. A slingbow would be a much better option..........
I think I had the same 10 lb er 20 yrs ago and you are right they were crap, This think, although may prove to be junk, is no toy, this thing looks like it could serioulsy hurt someone or even take out small game if you had to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=dE0WyRHdoBc#!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Hiker

after the shtf...having one of those pistol-crossbows....will be invaluable when you and your biker gang are chasing down a prepper.....to shoot out his tires so you can steal his gas.....wait....did I see that somewhere?????
The Following User Says Thank You to deadair For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,398 Posts

there are plenty of good crossbows that can be had out there for fairly cheap. this is not one of them.

If you want cheap look into 150LB recurve style crossbows. can usually be had for around 100
Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 PM

Idk if you'd be interested but I bought a recurve now from a pawn shop for 40 bucks and for 5 more dollars made arrows out of Walmart dowel rods and utility blades for broadheads. So just saying if u have the desire to do it, real archery can be done cheaply.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:52 PM

I had one from budk also. POS....would not recommend it to anyone. If you want it as a novelty, like to hang on a wall just so someone can see what a little crossbow looks like, go for it. But for anything other than that...nah, I would pass.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 PM

That Cobra pistol bow is sometimes known as Amrex Tomcat. They have a MK2 version which is better than the MK1 version.

I have been looking into crossbows a lot the last few days and the Tomcat MK2 seems to have a good rep. Maybe the rep is just for backyard shooting practice??

If you are looking at a half-decent entry level rifle bow then the Jaguar (175lb) from Amrex seems to have had good reviews and not too expensive either. But if you have a bit of money to spend then i would recommend something better.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:24 AM

I had one those Cobra brand pistol crossbows and they are fun but crappy. The bow cracked when I first strung it if that tells you anything. I still wouldn't want to get shot with one and would rather have it than nothing! The Wolf of the Forrest is a could mini-crossbow, this place sells them.

http://www.extremely-sharp.com/crossbows/

Not sure about the Little Panther but it is probably alright.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 AM

I've been contemplating building an SAS Assassination Crossbow that shoots 9" nails for bolts (ala joerg). I have a friend that makes historical crossbows and a few metal working friends so hopefully we can knock it out in a few months.

http://www.fightingknives.info/Colle...3/Default.aspx

scroll down for the pic of the crossbow