Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 PM
hunter, survivor, patriot

Default NON-LETHAL alternatives for defense

Advertise Here

Obviously, I have potential "lethal" means to defend myself and family. BUT I've been exploring adding "non-lethal" means to the mix.

Been exploring pepper paintballs, stun guns, TASERs, and pepper spray.

Has anyone eles incorperated these? Any advice? My state has no restrictions on TASERs or stun guns. WE can even have switchblades legally. In fact in NH, we can open carry, conceal carry(with permit), AND walk down the street "legally" with a broadsword as long we aren't committing a crime with it.

BUT I digress... any thoughts would be helpful.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM

cool ! okay i know what i'm buying soon !

anyways to answer your question, the various pepper sprays are good alternatives.

i've been thinking of the surefire lights. they are extremely bright... temporarily blinding....
some of the lights have an edged front that can also be used as a weapon.

i got excited because i see they have a new wristlight. i'm going to have to check it out.
The surefire website is at http://www.surefire.com

Surefire Defender Light

here's a video of the wristlight ( the brightness is shown around 1:55 in the video a few times)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Target Shooter

I have seen Pepper ball, pepper spray and mace fail against intoxicated individuals.......even TASERS can fail if the suspect is wearing thick clothing preventing the connections from making contact with skin. As far as flashlight go.....I don't see that stopping anyone unless you hit them in the head with it.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 PM
Skilled Archer

i often carry an asp baton. its not legal in all states so check your state, but its very fast deployable and can fit on your belt, and can break a bone of a knife attacker or someone you can get a decent swing or blunt hit on, and they aren't that expensive
The Following User Says Thank You to Highlander20068 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...specialty-ammo

12 Ga rubber rounds.. expensive as long as you aren't using it for children control then you only will need a few shells anyways haha
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM

Default non lethal alternatives

well as one other post said try an ASP . and if you buy one I would'nt buy a cheap one . get one made in the US to be sure of the quality. also you can buy rubber buckshot and rubber slugs. aim for the groin area and watch them do a nose dive for the floor.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 PM

One great item, that I never leave the house for less lethal defense is the Krudo Snag Controller. A must have for someone really interested in self defense.

www.krudoknives.com
Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM
crabby old bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf1974 View Post
Obviously, I have potential "lethal" means to defend myself and family. BUT I've been exploring adding "non-lethal" means to the mix.

Has anyone eles incorperated these? Any advice? My state has no restrictions on TASERs or stun guns. WE can even have switchblades legally. In fact in NH, we can open carry, conceal carry(with permit), AND walk down the street "legally" with a broadsword as long we aren't committing a crime with it.

I would advise that you carefully read the NH. laws before reaching any decisions here. For example the laws in Ky. allow for the carry of a wide array of things with a CCW (concealed weapons permit) and there are few open carry restrictions in the Bluegrass state. Yet intent does carry some weight in the courthouse. Somehow the law here reads that any knife that's not a common pocket or hunting knife is considered a deadly weapon. Might be a tad difficult to convince the judge you were not lookin' for a scrap depending on what you choose to carry. Just food for thought.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,748 Times in 968 Posts

Check this thread out it may be quite helpful.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...iscated+police
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,681 Times in 5,228 Posts

This is what I am using at the moment.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 AM

as strange as this may sound i keep a can of bee killer in my car. The good hornet and wasp killer. my wife is allergic to bees so its good to have around and the stuff sprays upto 20 feet. just as good to stop an attacker as pepper spray, its a lot cheaper, and its legal to carry in all 50 states (including NYC) without a permit.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 AM
One with everything...

Yeah, but not use as a theft or burglar deterrant. Read that little warning on the label about being against the law to use in a manner inconsistant with its labeling. Guarantee the bad guys liawyer has. If you're carrying that as a theft deterrant and burglar spray, it's not only NOT legal to carry for that reason, you're committing a felony once you hit that spray button. Personally, I'll stick with Bear Spray - it's plenty nasty, and designed to stop an attack, not kill insects.

(As to being to deter bears - heck, as far as I know the attacker is a hairy gay man. IIRC the slang term for such guys are "bears". Any questions?) --grins--
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM

I agree with some the guys here but if it comes down to "survival" with lawlessness, I'd use the bee spray. Personally, I carry a taser to work 'cause not allowed to carry a gun into a hospital. Besides my fists, that's the best I can do till I get my gun out of my car.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightwing Patriot View Post
I agree with some the guys here but if it comes down to "survival" with lawlessness, I'd use the bee spray. Personally, I carry a taser to work 'cause not allowed to carry a gun into a hospital. Besides my fists, that's the best I can do till I get my gun out of my car.

I have to agree with you that a TASER is the next best thing you can carry that's NOT considered a weapon, and can stop someone before they get close enough to lay hands on you. Granted, a TASER doesn't help you in a gun fight, but a common thug with a knife would be eatting dirt pretty quickly.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Prepared

I had wooden batons and axe handles in vehicles and kept them by the door for less then lethal alternatives.

I am not a big fan of the sprays basically a person has to close eyes or turn head and your spray is not that effective. I think a lot of the marketing for the sprays has given people a false sense of power that they don't really have.

Would you rather deal with a guy with a can of spray or an axe handle? I feel like I could close my eyes swim through some spray and get a hold of someone. I do not feel like I could swim through an axe handle or baton.
The Following User Says Thank You to lodgepole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Have you ever tried wax bullets. They are less lethal but at close range could be. Great for practice in home. visit www.easyloaderpress.com for more info
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Have you tried wax bullets? They are less lethal but could be at close range. Great for practicing in home. Visit www.easyloaderpress.com for more info.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:40 PM

One thing I don't see that often when people talk about home defense is bean bag rounds! I have some for my 12ga and I think they work well and won't kill someone if you shoot them but it will hurt.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Good topic guys. For one thing we want a "non'lethal" weapon that well distract and stun your opponent! Like I said in a previous post on another thread, people tend to rely on weapons to much! Don't get me wrong, it's always better to be armed then not! But in the real world we just can't always have our weapon on us and at the ready 24/7! So for one, I would highly reccomend hand to hand combat training is a must! On the end of the day, you will have to depend on your self, with or with out a "weapon," mise well learn to be one! Another thing I wanted to delve into, agian, is since you well not always have your weapon on the ready, lets say a attacker got close to you with in grabbing range, you would have to see target (if your lucky and did not get jumped from behind), indentify threat, make a plan, then try to thumble for your weapon under all that duress, in just a matter of seconds! You could end up fighting your attacker with one hand while you're trying to gran your gun/weapon with another, not good buddy! most likely it would be better to h2h combat, creat distance, then secure and deploy your weapon for combat! Just a little extra thought for you friend, have a great hunt, there are plentty of good SD tools on the market! Stay Safe...
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 PM

Excellent advice, Old Clevis 41. 99 percent of most any confrontation is going to be unexpected and you must have something at the ready most anytime your out somewhere. The hole reason for this non lethal is to place the courts in your favor. Bad ass knives screams your guilty before proven innocent. So what ever the defense device, it must be none intrusive comfortably on you at all times. LOL that is the real problem these days. "the courts" that is. So any protection that is decisive yet non provoking. Truth is a gun or sawed off pump shot gun should be allowed even in Church but that's just me. So in realville I don't want to kill anyone I just wish to make them wish they were dead.