Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > The Tech Zone
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 12-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,587 Times in 474 Posts
Default Main computer took a dump.

Advertise Here

While browsing using Internet Explorer I experienced a frozen screen. Mouse wouldn't move, nothing worked. Finally held the start button until it forced a shutdown. Now nothing. Never a signal of video to the screen. Disk drives don't spin up. Cannot access the bios setup screens. My best guess is something blew out the bios and it needs flashing. Any other suggestions on this kind of stoppage?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Pirate

If nothing is powering up, a BIOS flash isn't going to do anything for you.

Motherboard or power supply is probably bad.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to baker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Just reboot 3 times...

Thanked 2,006 Times in 879 Posts

I would vote Power Supply.

You can visually check the MB for leaking or bulging capacitors (The cylindrical things jutting out from the board. They can be big or small.) That could have caused a problem if there are any.

IF not, the Power Supplies in most brand name PCs aren't meant to last much more than 2 years under normal use, less if you use it all the time. This is a generalization, but I have replaced more Power Supplies than anything else.

And, it is usually cheaper and less effort to swap it out than the MB. If that doesn't fix it, you will have to get your hands dirty. Post back and we can maybe help with the MB make and model.
The Following User Says Thank You to tricky48 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,013 Times in 338 Posts

If the drives aren't spinning up, it is a power issue. If the mobo was bad, the drives would still spin, and you should still get video. If you havent already, please unplug the machine. I have seen more then one bad power supply go up in smoke.
The Following User Says Thank You to LanceCooley4life For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Sundown dazzling day

Thanked 13,064 Times in 5,936 Posts

Fan death and overheating also an option.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 PM

Another vote for motherboard or power supply.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCBiker For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 6,052 Times in 2,375 Posts

Ditto the above..good news is that you should be able to install hard drive into new box, and read data files...

Chirstmas came early for you......

power supplies are cheap, or you can buy a new box and be done with it...

you do have back ups right....
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 08:00 PM

yeah, make sure your monitor is connected and powered. then bootup- you should see/hear power supply fan. if you could forced a power down then the PS is probably ok. if the lights on the case come on but you dont see anything, try connecting another monitor.

I assume the most valuable item is the information on the HDD? if you have another PC, why dont you remove the suspect HDD and slave it and see if you can transfer data.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:53 AM
Stand now or kneel forevr

Could be a slew of things. If it froze and you did a forced powerdown I would say the OS became corrupted. You said that there is no signal to the monitor and the hard drives don't spin up. Now do any of the fans spin? Are there any lights blinking on the front of the case? If no to both I would vote power supply. If yes to either I would still say power supply could be a culprit. If the components aren't getting the juice they need it will cause the machine not to power on. It could also be a bad hard drive, motherboard, or even a stick of memory.

If you get some sort of life (lights, fan, or anything) and aren't afraid to get your hands dirty you can do some troubleshooting. Open up the case and remove everything except the motherboard, memory, video card and processor/fan. If the machine powers up and just gives an error about no boot device that is good. Now plug in one device at a time and boot up. I.E. plug in cd rom drive and power up. If it still works plug in the next device. Keep going until it stops powering up properly. At this point you have discovered the bad part. Replace and have a beer. As always YMMV and I take no responsibility if you start your puter on fire. I am just listing what I would do to troubleshoot your issue and gave you the option.

Now here is the tricky part. If everything is plugged back in and the machine still powers up a-ok it is an intermittent failure. Depending on the age of the machine I would suggest you replace the power supply (if it is over 2 years). If the machine is less than two years and you are lucky enough to have it under warranty, take it to a shop and let them figure it out.

Intermittent failures are hard to track down and I have spent days testing everything just to find out a stick of ram was bad. If you do choose to take it to a shop make sure you make it crystal clear that you do not want your data erased. Most shops have a policy of nuke and pave and if you chose not to get a data backup, they could care less about your data. At my shop I don't do that. I ask for permission before I nuke and pave and give the user a chance to get data saved.
The Following User Says Thank You to flawedkaos For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 AM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 20,981 Times in 6,815 Posts

Put a meter on one of the drive connectors to see if you are getting 12 & 5vDC. If not, it's a cheap quick fix. However, a bad "power good" signal from the motherboard would keep the power supply from working. You said "main computer". Maybe borrow the PS from a secondary PC to test.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-power-up.html
Look at post #2 in this link. This is a good way to test the PS. Use the jumper shown and test drive connector with a meter. I use a paper clip for a jumper.
The Following User Says Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM
-- - --

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,131 Posts

Try this first? Unplug the power supply from the wall or UPS. Plug back in after a few seconds and see what you get. This happened to me a few times and that is what allowed it to restart. Can't explain it - just did it. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to webfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullyWV View Post
Put a meter on one of the drive connectors to see if you are getting 12 & 5vDC. If not, it's a cheap quick fix. However, a bad "power good" signal from the motherboard would keep the power supply from working. You said "main computer". Maybe borrow the PS from a secondary PC to test.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-power-up.html
Look at post #2 in this link. This is a good way to test the PS. Use the jumper shown and test drive connector with a meter. I use a paper clip for a jumper.
Actually the Power Good Signal comes from the PSU. The PSU completes its internal self check and sends a 5v signal to the board. Though with walmart special power supplies they wire the signal wire to one of the 5v rails. So even if the psu is defective the CPU will think everything is ok and power up.
The Following User Says Thank You to flawedkaos For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Just reboot 3 times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flawedkaos View Post
Though with walmart special power supplies they wire the signal wire to one of the 5v rails. So even if the psu is defective the CPU will think everything is ok and power up.
I did not know that! <deadpan voice> That's awesome.

Ya get what ya pay for...
Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM

I also bet you didn't know that chocolate milk is milk with chocolate mixed in. And that the logo for Burger King has Burger King inside it. My mind was blown the first time I learned all that!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Trapper

Put your nose to work if the power supply smells burn its likely the problem.

I see power supplies at thrift stores all the time but many smell burnt and in many cases are in the wrong box.
this is a good reason not to buy them.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Target Shooter

If you do go the power supply route...suggest you go with an "Antec" power supply...can be found at most any local Office Depot store...
Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Just reboot 3 times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flawedkaos View Post
I also bet you didn't know that chocolate milk is milk with chocolate mixed in. And that the logo for Burger King has Burger King inside it. My mind was blown the first time I learned all that!
No, I really did not know that, the deadpan voice/sarcasm was in the "thats awesome" statement.

Sorry if that was misconstrued...
Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Just reboot 3 times...

Default Update?

Well OP, any luck?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Atleast it wasn't Deadpool...