Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > Polls and Surveys
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: Which describes you best?
Prepper 315 54.69%
Survivalist 261 45.31%
Voters: 576. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Darting from the shadows

Thanked 6,483 Times in 2,812 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Hey guys. long time no see.

Most definitely a survivalist for me.
Due to my upbringing, I learn't to survive situations long before I even heard of prepping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Te Hopo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Recent Blog:
Wanderer

Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,371 Posts

I'm a prepper. To me "survivalist" indicates someone who has finished heir "preparations". I constantly save, store, train, learn, practice, and even have some real-life hands-on experience. But I don't forsee anytime that I will consider myself "fully prepared".
Old 02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Permaculturist

I consider myself a realist.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:31 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 6,987 Times in 2,986 Posts

I am married, that makes me a survivalist!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sniperfx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2009, 10:36 PM

I was a survivalist before i was a prepper, but i call myself a prepper,lol
less eyerolls that way
Old 04-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Earthwalker.

Thanked 10,499 Times in 4,380 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Post Outstanding Post 
Total Awards: 2

Both................
Old 05-07-2010, 01:31 PM
A jarhead that can cook..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Cecil Feio View Post
Gotta be one before you can be the other, yeah? Then are there any true survivalists on here now? I say no. Practitioners? Perhaps. But no true ... survivalists. Not yet.

What survivalist uses hi-speed broadband internet? I mean I haven't seen many threads here regarding a 'bug out' laptop.

actually thats not entirely a bad idea - lets face it you can fit farm more reference texts on one cd or dvd than you could ever carry in a BOB
Old 05-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Left SB 2/28/2010 :)

Talking

Definitely a prepper. My idea of roughing it is the Motel 6 (horrible beds!). No way could I survive sleeping out under the stars and feeding my family on roots, pine nuts and the ocassional squirrel. It wouldn't be the food or elements that drive me insane, it would be living with my wife and three teenaged girls without electricity!

Hence, my BOL has solar.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Tennessee Ranger

I'm a little bit of both...
Old 05-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,396 Times in 1,466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230gr View Post
Prepping is just more Politically Correct. Survivalist has been linked to the violent fringe very firmly by the media. In reality, any prepper who is not armed will just be a supply dump for first knuckle dragger to find them.
Ahem, by knuckle dragger you mean violent fringe rambo elite uber mall ninja gun heavy wanna be survivalist.
There is nothing politically correct about the way I prep..Nor do I consider prepping to be survivalist lite. Thank you very much.
I do my own thing my own way and while it is nice to share info with you all, at the end of the day I have no illusion that when the S'HTF I'm on my own.
No matter what the h*ll you want to call it. It doesn't matter, one iota. what matters is that you get what you're doing right, that is if you want to survive.

Last edited by Peter; 05-07-2010 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Target Shooter

Retreater, survivalist, prepper it is all semantics. Either due to popularity or perceived extremism the terminology has changed through the years. My guess is that it will continue to change. As a survivalist, I consider myself to be prepared to survive and see the prepper term as an attempt to be more PC due to the perceived extremism of some “survivalists” by whatever name they call themselves. Personally, I never know what kind of person I am dealing with until I know them better.

I say take your pick it is all the same to me.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Survivor

Rarely do I use either term, Survivalist or prepper except on the boards. It is a non issue, until you mention to some one that you are prepared/preparing to survive hard times or disaster. At that point, who ever you tell will make up their own mind as to whether or not what your doing makes sense.

As a kid I spent a lot of time with grandparents that lived through the great depression. I was taught the ins and outs of thrift, being frugal and that waste was was akin to sin. It was a true homestead lifestyle, and I loved it. If you'd called them survivalists or preppers they'd probably just chuckle.

Thing is there are folks in this day and age who would label that kind of lifestyle as being a prepper or survivalist. When in actuality it is just old school taking care of yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 16,783 Times in 3,487 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Been a survivalist since 1982, never heard of the word prepper until I came to this Survivalistboards.
Maybe since so many would rather be known as the more pc term of prepper this forum should be changed to the Prepperboards??
The Following User Says Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Survivor

Prepperboards?
That'd make us preppies, or undergrads if you prefer a more PC term.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2010, 03:31 PM

I'm a prepper. We just want to protect & provide for our family during unexpected calamities, of however long duration. Seems like most survivalists envision pitched battles with some evil government forces, foreign or domestic. I admire their resolution, but I don't see much hope for the guy in a pickup truck with a shotgun facing off against an Abrams tank.
The Following User Says Thank You to slingshot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Slingshot, you have bought the decades of negative spin and hype used to taint the meaning of survivalist. I have been a survivalist since the late 1970s, I know many other through the years and our goal has not changed; protect & provide for our family during any host of emergences and disasters. Originally the greatest treat was all out nuclear war with the Soviets (a treat that is not out of the pail yet today). Fighting “pitched battles” is counter survival and to be avoided if at all possible. Battles with some evil government forces are more in the prevue of the militia movement. As a prepper, protecting your family from those that would rob and leave your family to starve (or worse); whether it is the starving “horde”, an organized gang or a jumped up local war lord, it does not matter. Anyone not willing to protect his preps is only saving them for the first knuckle dragger with a baseball bat but to seek out avoidable combat is completely putting your family at risk and counter survival.

Quote:
by knuckle dragger you mean violent fringe rambo elite uber mall ninja gun heavy wanna be survivalist.
Peter, I mean the low life predator who lives by the motto “if you can’t defend it, you don’t deserve to keep it” from the psudo-survivalist thug right down to the alley mugger or your next door neighbor.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Survivor

230gr.
That was sarcasm on my part.
Quite by accident I met a guy face to face who said he was a survivalists, he fit the thug description to a tee. I was horrified by his description of how he and his "group" were going to survive. It involved taking from others by force. Thank god I didn't let on that I was putting away supplies for a rainy day and working towards producing my own food supply or I'd probably been on his SHTF short list of places to visit.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

They are out there, Peter. They are no more survivalists than Black Beard was, IMO. They are the new barbarians who can’t wait to pillage and rape the helpless sheeple. May they die by the sword and quickly.
Guard information on putting away supplies with your life or it will cost you dearly some day.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Survive... for what?

Thanked 1,391 Times in 569 Posts

I would say I am 75% Prepper and 25% Survivalist. I can handle survivalist situations, but with a hint of doubt in my ability... im working on it though.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Beans, Bullets, Bandaids

Thanked 1,121 Times in 618 Posts

I hate to throw water on the fire, but I think being a prepper is the same as being a survivalist, its kind of a symbiotic relationship. I cannot see how you can be one without being the other, eg. How will you survive without prepping? (raiding others will surely lead to a reduced life span) and you preparing for suvival, so I see them as one in the same thing (although prepper may be more PC).

"Failure to plan is planning to fail."