Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM

Default My favorite prep

Advertise Here

Aside from getting out and being alone without any troubles to bother ya, as we all know hunting can be a great prep. When we were struggling financially, trying to put enough money into investments so we could eventually live comfortably hunting really reduced our spending. I constantly hear people say that the would love to be able to hunt, but can't afford it. I personally think it is just a bad excuse for laziness. Yeah, baring the urban person where it would take days out of their time to get away to the woods,,,, But with the exception of those of us who live in the middle of large cities, everyone can, if they have the desire, reduce their grocery bill by several thousand dollars a year. Yes, starting up can get kinda high, but the money you will have saved just in the first year will pay for whatever you've bought to start out.

Ive only been able to get out and hunt three times this year, and count each time as a successful hunt. I count it as a successful hunt if I saw something that I could have shot, or if I actually killed something. Well, yesterday was very successful. Id been grunting back and forth with an old dominant twelve point Id been hunting. We talked for about two hours when this eight point (three point with eyeguards for those of you on the wrong coast) came to investigate. So, what the hell? I don't hunt horns anyway. Mostly I take out bad genetics, but when a good shooter comes by I take him. And as yesterday was the last day of gun that I would be able to hunt, I took him. Nothing tough. He was only about fifty yards out. With a 20 gauge and a field barrel it was an easy shot.

He dressed at a hair over two fifty, and when all was said and done rendered just over one fifty of meat.

His rack was definitely too small for his body. So, as there isn't a point in doing a shoulder mount on that little of a rack I called the biologists to take the brain stem. But he is worth doing an antler mount.

Now, to those of you that are going to say something to the effect of. "Well I'd love to hunt, but don't have any land, or friends with land so all I can do is hunt public state land and there aren't any deer there." I say, I killed him on heavily hunted public land. I'm giving my land a break this year and next. There are deer on public land, you just have to be smart enough to hunt them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Domovoi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Gettin There

I agree completely. The deer I shot in 2011 kept me with meat the entire year. I still have a little bit left. I also shot one in 2012. Hopefully it keeps my freezer full the same length of time. I haven't bought any beef, other than $10.00 worth from a friend for a lot of meat, since I shot that deer in 2011.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanR7985 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 PM

I generally go through a full four deer a year. But I entertain a lot.

It is amazing the comforting feeling you have when you do loose a job, and know that you already have enough fresh meat in the freezer for the year.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 PM
The End is Near

Thanked 1,213 Times in 474 Posts

Very respectable deer ! That's a lot of meat for one deer, looks like he's been feeding in corn fields possibly ?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Look at that NECK. Nice kill, way to be self-sufficient!

Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
Old 12-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,248 Times in 801 Posts

Nice buck!

I have access to private land, but I often hunt public land too. Really all you need to do is get several hundred yards off the access point, and you'll get some solitude- as most people are too lazy to go very far out.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 PM

nice buck! 150lbs is alot of meat from one deer!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 PM

I reckon it all depends on the deer you're used to harvesting. I remember when I lived in NC a deer wouldn't even dress at one fifty. But seeings as he dressed at two fifty,,, Also let it be known that I take every bit of meat I can. Neck, ribs, etc. The cuts I don't like get turned into burger and mixed in with rice for the dogs.

Bucksnort. I agree, get a few hundred meters off the path and you aught to be ok. But, you not only need to scout the animals, but the hunters. If you're on public land that has a lot of hunters, even if they are four hundred meters away, the pressure can push them elsewhere. The land I've been hunting gets a whole hell of a lot of bird hunters. It's eleven hundred acres, and half of that is grassland. A lot of deer hunters ignore that plot of land because of all the bird hunters. But they failed to look at the big picture. The plot is pretty much set up in a big square, with grasslands and food plots toward the center south. The grass is tall enough for them to move freely and eat as they please even in the day. But the plots are cut down a bit. There is about a fifty meter stretch that skirts the tree line all the way round the grasses in a horseshoe. When the bird hunters come in they kick the deer out of the grasses and toward the woods. So all you have to do is sit near the treeline on a well used path and watch. If they use a different path you will see them. Then you go to stalking.

The guy I killed yesterday? It was a Tuesday. There were no hunters out. He just came by to investigate all the grunting. By his neck and the way he smelled I figure they hit the second rut already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Domovoi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 09:25 PM

I also hunt public land. I take an empty ALICE pack in with me and go at least 1 mile in. Once I harvest the deer, it gets field dressed and strapped to that frame to be carried out. I hunt with my buddy and the biggest we've pulled out like that was a 200ish pound field dressed doe. It's tiring work, but worth it to me.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:02 AM

That really wouldn't work too well for me. I hunt alone, and already have a three day pack with me any time I'm out. So I drag em.

Anyone that's ever had to drag a buck knows that those horns snag on everything. So to make my day easier I tie a harness round their body and up round their head. I take a six foot length of rope tie a clove hitch just above one of the front hoofs, then a half hitch round the shoulder. This pulls the front leg back and touches the hoof to the shoulder. Take the live end of the rope up over the withers then tie a half hitch round the other shoulder and again tie a clove hitch just above the other hoof. Then tie a bowline with another length of rope to the portion just above the withers run it up the neck. At the base of the skull tie a figure eight (a figure four will work but once you put a load on it it gets difficult to untie) loop and half hitch the live end (make sure your second rope is cut at lest eight feet long) round their neck just above your figure eight, run the live end between the ears and tie another half hitch round the snout and eventually run the live end through the knees so the nose is pulled tight to the knees. The next length of rope can be any length just as long as once it's tied to you it forces the head up off the ground, and keeps the deer on it's back. With a fourth length of rope tie either a harness or climbing seat round you, and connect the tow line to your back. I like to use a Korean seat because it better distributes the weight between your waist and legs and because I have a pack on, ya really can't use a harness. Drag the deer whole a few hundred yards away from where you killed him assuming you killed him in a stand. Then gut him, and drag him back to your truck. Tying him like that keeps his horns up off the ground, and keeps him on his back so you're not getting a bunch of dirt and stuff in the cavity created by gutting him.

You will need to modify the ropes if you plan on doing a shoulder mount cause the ropes round his neck and snout will rub a lot of hair away.

Or ya can go out and spend the hundred or two hundred bucks on a good game wagon. But those can be a pain to use in the woods.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:54 PM
Target Shooter

that buk looks huge hanging! i got a small doe during bow season and a nice 8 pt during gun season. thats really not enough meat to last me the year, close but not enough.ill eat deer 5 to 7 days a week if i can get it and was starting to get worried.today next to last day of muzzy season i got a nice doe. had her skinned by lunch time and took a couple hour break.got her cut up into steaks, stew meat, and jerky meat on this nice cold afternoon.if i can get one more during the late bow season then that heifer in the pasture can go to town and add about 800 buks to my annual income.that will cover my house insurance due in the spring.

so yeah hunting is a prep.its also a every day solution to a everyday problem.i honestly feel sorry for people eating nasty store meat. gray hanburger, steaks costing half a days pay that have been shrink wrapped for 2 weeks. yukk! not to mention 20 different people of questionable health handleing that meat.not for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ridgerunner1965 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2014, 08:47 AM
Texan

Thanked 1,057 Times in 447 Posts

This is exactly right I live in the city and I want to hunt. I've found a WMA about 45 min away and I want to try to hunt pigs with my shotgun, but I've never hunted before and I'm trying to get a friend to go too. I have a internal frame pack and a external frame pack to haul the meat back to the truck.

Any tips on pigs? From what I read so far I think I'm going to try to get a smaller hog because it's supposed to taste better, and I think 200lbs dresses is the most we could haul back.