Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Catherine_MT Catherine_MT is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,266
Thanks: 10,678
Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,491 Posts
Question



Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpnkbnny View Post
I've been working on my closet. Got rid of tons of sheets. My mother thinks she should give me sheets all the time. That woman working at the thrift store is going to drive me nuts. Then I cleaned out my entire room. Much more relaxed in there now.
Is the woman at the thrift store driving you nuts because you are 'donating items'?! Huh? I do not understand what you mean.

I am glad to hear that you got a room cleaned out and donated a bunch of sheets. Poor people and the homeless shelters really need those items. Bedding of all kinds, blankets and even old, durable and mismatched towels.

A lot of them take OLD but durable shoes/boots - that is another big item for poor and/or homeless people - especially men. Ladies need them but from what I have heard and still hear... there is a huge demand for male shoes, sneakers, boots and socks.

Catherine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catherine_MT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Midnightmom's Avatar
Midnightmom Midnightmom is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Superior California
Posts: 272
Thanks: 269
Thanked 427 Times in 138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twibbs View Post
.................. I plan to clean out the fridge. It's starting to get scary.
You mean scary like this???


Don't be offended. Mine is like that too.
That is why I have the cartoon in the first place!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midnightmom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Midnightmom's Avatar
Midnightmom Midnightmom is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Superior California
Posts: 272
Thanks: 269
Thanked 427 Times in 138 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn-Raine View Post
Okay, so I got the chicken in the crockpot, got a load of dishes washed, put the fruit from the dehydrator in a jar, pulled off all the dead leaves on the houseplants and threw the leaves in the compost, gave said houseplants some water, scrubbed the tub and the toilet, and wiped down the ceiling and walls in the bathroom. And you can't hardly even tell I've done anything today. **sigh**
My husband said that his father came home one day after his mom had done pretty much what you have done, and asked if she had "changed the lightbulbs!!!" So, you're hard work won't go totally 'un-noticed' I'm sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midnightmom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM
lilpnkbnny lilpnkbnny is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern Oklahoma
Posts: 118
Thanks: 136
Thanked 181 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine_MT View Post
Is the woman at the thrift store driving you nuts because you are 'donating items'?! Huh? I do not understand what you mean.

I am glad to hear that you got a room cleaned out and donated a bunch of sheets. Poor people and the homeless shelters really need those items. Bedding of all kinds, blankets and even old, durable and mismatched towels.

A lot of them take OLD but durable shoes/boots - that is another big item for poor and/or homeless people - especially men. Ladies need them but from what I have heard and still hear... there is a huge demand for male shoes, sneakers, boots and socks.

Catherine
That woman = my mother. She volunteers at a thrift store that raises money for the animal shelter. It's a great cause, but she's always finding things that she thinks that I need. My house has enough stuff in it already. The sheets all went to the salvation army. I'm in a very rural area and there are no shelters close by. I had to send them with my ex MIL to drop off 60 miles away on her way to work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lilpnkbnny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Prudence Prudence is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 295
Thanks: 3,779
Thanked 386 Times in 189 Posts
Smile In defense of Goodwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
Again, I NEVER give to Goodwill because they are a business and profit only themselves. Business is a good thing but they are NOT a charity. They NEVER give a thing to those who really need it and only sell the stuff they get in donations to those who have the money to buy it.
You're right that Goodwill isn't a charity that gives things to people in need -- they are a business. A non-profit business, actually, but still a business. (That's why they're called Goodwill Industries! )

Goodwill sells stuff, but that's not really their core business. Their core business is giving jobs to people who are otherwise unable to find work -- disabled people, people coming out of drug rehab, people with mental illnesses, people with criminal records who are trying to go straight but can't get hired elsewhere, and people who have been out of the work force so long that other employers won't even look at them.

I remember that Goodwill's motto when I was a kid used to be "Helping the handicapped help themselves." Their business model then was to accept donations of household goods, hire and train disabled people to repair them, and resell them in their stores. Then as now, they also offered job training for other types of work.

Back then, as some of us older fogies remember, appliances were relatively more expensive as a percentage of a household budget, and they were more sturdily made. There was a whole repair industry then that barely exists anymore, because nowadays we all buy cheap Chinese crap and when it breaks, we throw it away and buy a new one. (I had my nose rubbed in this when my microwave broke. I took it to an appliance repair shop, and the price I was quoted was more than the cost of a new one!)

So Goodwill apparently changed its business model in response (I was sad when they quit repairing appliances, but there you are) and started focusing on job training for the service industry. They offer job skills training, classes, a resume service, a job board on their Website, and other helpful services.

They also, at least in my neck of the woods, run janitorial services. The cleaning crew at my workplace are all Goodwill guys, mostly former gang members -- at least, so I guess from their tattoos! They are friendly and hard-working and always smile when I say hello. (Well, except for one guy who seems to be partly paralyzed -- whether from a bad accident or a gunshot, I don't know -- anyway, he walks awkwardly, never changes his facial expression, and seems very shy. But I always smile and say hello anyway.)

So you're right that Goodwill isn't a charity in the sense you mean of giving stuff away. But I say that providing jobs is better than providing stuff (in normal life, I mean, not in a disaster), so, personally, I have no problem supporting them with my donations, which I split between Goodwill, Salvation Army, and a local charity that funds scholarships for military kids. (Just my opinion and personal decision, and not necessarily right for everyone.)

From their Website FAQ: "82 percent of Goodwill’s revenues go directly into employment and training programs for people with disabilities and other barriers to employment!" That's better efficiency than a lot of charities out there.

Just my $0.02. (And no, I don't work for Goodwill.)

Last edited by Prudence; 12-13-2012 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: punctuation
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prudence For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Piurivar's Avatar
Piurivar Piurivar is offline
Argues With Cats
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 116
Thanks: 898
Thanked 184 Times in 75 Posts
Default

I lost track of this thread, caught up today, saw that several people wanted to see the warehouse I live in... Um. It's "different." People who come in here say either "Wow! This is cool!" or "My GOD! You LIVE here?" (in a "call social services!" tone of voice.) The rooms are small, 15x15 or so, but the walls are 2 foot thick rock and concrete, inside and out. One of my ex's calls it a fallout bunker, and says if we get nuked, he's showing up here. It's an old building, the title company can only trace it back to 1915, when it was marked as an "old structure" on a map. History is scanty. It's never been a rich person's property, the repairs and original work are all low budget and weird. Odd things like metal rods sticking out of the rock walls at 8-9 feet up. They don't match, they don't line up, what are they doing? No clue.

The rock walls make windows difficult so they didn't build very many in. I ripped the main roof off years ago and built clerestory windows that face the right direction for air flow. So the light comes from above. Which leads to walls inside... 9 foot 6 inch ceilings that I have shelves built from floor to ceiling. I'm an organized packrat. Shelves full of books (organized by category), boxes (neatly labeled), bins, more junk than you can imagine, all neatly labeled and stored. I do weird projects, when I need a tool or part for something, I almost always have it, in a nicely labeled box. My friends and family are horrified, but when they need something odd, they come over and laugh when I go and get it for them (Two 6 inch hose clamps and some green yarn and a rivet gun? No problem.)

As I read the postings here I laughed at people saying "Where does all this stuff come from?" I drag home almost anything that appeals to me. When people clean out they toss it here, I sort it, keep what I want, give away the rest (I give away a lot of stuff.) Money is very tight in my world, so it's very hard to get rid of something, knowing I can't just go buy another.

If there's a master's degree in "Scavenging and Using It All Efficiently" I have one. I'm working on redoing my pantry space, using lumber scraps from various places for shelves, spacing them to fit the containers I bring home from dumpster diving, curtaining them off with excess fabric someone was cleaning out. I paid for the brackets that want, and some 10 foot 2x4's, that's it. The rest is all scavenged.

Getting back on the thread here, I'm currently working on someone else's mess (he's been in the hospital since August, I'm dealing with it all, ugh.) Today I got rid of paper trash, when we closed his apartment there were 5 boxes of etc papers, unopened mail dating back years, etc. Today I sorted a whole stack of it, kept the relevant bits (made files and labeled it all) and filled the recycle bin. Still more of that pile to go, but a lot down. Lots of his stuff got tossed here for sorting, added it to the mess I already had. (As well as his 2 cats, added to my 1 and my dad's 1 who is here) (I need to box and label the cats! They aren't organized! AUGH!! :D)

Now I'm giggling and way off track Thanks for this thread, it's inspirational
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Piurivar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 AM
Catherine_MT Catherine_MT is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,266
Thanks: 10,678
Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,491 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpnkbnny View Post
That woman = my mother. She volunteers at a thrift store that raises money for the animal shelter. It's a great cause, but she's always finding things that she thinks that I need. My house has enough stuff in it already. The sheets all went to the salvation army. I'm in a very rural area and there are no shelters close by. I had to send them with my ex MIL to drop off 60 miles away on her way to work.
Oh okay and I understand what you meant in your other post now. Thank you!

I can relate to living in the boonies when I lived in my former state too.

The sheets will end up going to someone who needs them in the end. Good job!

Take care.

Catherine
The Following User Says Thank You to Catherine_MT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Marinera76 Marinera76 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Default

This post is an inspiration! I'm a big fan of FlyLady and decluttering (bless others with the things you don't need anymore). I took it as far as giving away my wedding dress: I won't need it again and some bride will be really happy with it (I hope). Now I have more space in my room for the real clothes I'm actually using.
Greetings to all from Italy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marinera76 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 06:40 AM
Autumn-Raine's Avatar
Autumn-Raine Autumn-Raine is offline
Up to No Good
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Age: 29
Posts: 387
Thanks: 1,721
Thanked 1,105 Times in 309 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piurivar View Post
(I need to box and label the cats! They aren't organized! AUGH!! :D)
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love that! Too funny. I need to have you come help me organize my house. I think that's a big part of my problem - I suck at organizing.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Kay's Avatar
Kay Kay is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N.E. Texas
Posts: 1,007
Thanks: 2,237
Thanked 1,143 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudence View Post
You're right that Goodwill isn't a charity that gives things to people in need -- they are a business. A non-profit business, actually, but still a business. (That's why they're called Goodwill Industries! )

Goodwill sells stuff, but that's not really their core business. Their core business is giving jobs to people who are otherwise unable to find work -- disabled people, people coming out of drug rehab, people with mental illnesses, people with criminal records who are trying to go straight but can't get hired elsewhere, and people who have been out of the work force so long that other employers won't even look at them.

I remember that Goodwill's motto when I was a kid used to be "Helping the handicapped help themselves." Their business model then was to accept donations of household goods, hire and train disabled people to repair them, and resell them in their stores. Then as now, they also offered job training for other types of work.

Back then, as some of us older fogies remember, appliances were relatively more expensive as a percentage of a household budget, and they were more sturdily made. There was a whole repair industry then that barely exists anymore, because nowadays we all buy cheap Chinese crap and when it breaks, we throw it away and buy a new one. (I had my nose rubbed in this when my microwave broke. I took it to an appliance repair shop, and the price I was quoted was more than the cost of a new one!)

So Goodwill apparently changed its business model in response (I was sad when they quit repairing appliances, but there you are) and started focusing on job training for the service industry. They offer job skills training, classes, a resume service, a job board on their Website, and other helpful services.

They also, at least in my neck of the woods, run janitorial services. The cleaning crew at my workplace are all Goodwill guys, mostly former gang members -- at least, so I guess from their tattoos! They are friendly and hard-working and always smile when I say hello. (Well, except for one guy who seems to be partly paralyzed -- whether from a bad accident or a gunshot, I don't know -- anyway, he walks awkwardly, never changes his facial expression, and seems very shy. But I always smile and say hello anyway.)

So you're right that Goodwill isn't a charity in the sense you mean of giving stuff away. But I say that providing jobs is better than providing stuff (in normal life, I mean, not in a disaster), so, personally, I have no problem supporting them with my donations, which I split between Goodwill, Salvation Army, and a local charity that funds scholarships for military kids. (Just my opinion and personal decision, and not necessarily right for everyone.)

From their Website FAQ: "82 percent of Goodwill’s revenues go directly into employment and training programs for people with disabilities and other barriers to employment!" That's better efficiency than a lot of charities out there.

Just my $0.02. (And no, I don't work for Goodwill.)
I wish this were true of the Goodwill stores in my area but, unfortunately, it is not.

All three stores were bought out by new owners about three years ago and they changed everything, starting with FIRING every single one of the old and disabled people who used to work there. You could tell those people were glad to have those jobs and did their best to help.

The new people they brought in are just the usual, normal types of sales people who work in stores--not very old, not disabled, and as soon as they find a better job, they move on. Every time I go there, which is a lot less than formerly, I see new people working there.

They also tripled all the prices which makes it less affordable for those who really need their merchandise.

I suppose the different owners of the Goodwill stores have the options of running their stores the way they want--as they should. I have no problem with free enterprise, but around here, it's just a for-profit business riding on the coat tails of their former charitable reputation. The real bargains and real charity are a couple of other thrift stores that are associated with churches.

BTW, I was once in Goodwill when they were reorganizing and removing tons of stuff, mostly clothing. I asked what they were doing with all that stuff and I was told that they send it to Indonesia. Well, I know the Indonesians need stuff too, but that's just downright irrational. Firstly, there's a lot of need locally which is not being met and secondly, it must cost a fortune to send all that stuff halfway around the world. That's money that could be spent in a MUCH better way, imo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Piurivar's Avatar
Piurivar Piurivar is offline
Argues With Cats
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 116
Thanks: 898
Thanked 184 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn-Raine View Post
I need to have you come help me organize my house.
Actually, I think about doing that for people. I find it fun. I wish I could find someone who wants to run a business who would do all the advertising, paperwork, etc, and just let me do the work. I've owned businesses and I HATE that part. Hire me an assistant or two, and let me do my thing, I think there's money in it...
But it gets back to my health, I can't do anything consistently. I'm still working on endurance. If just sheer desire to do things was all it took, I'd have all kinds of neat stuff going on. My health is my choke point, if I don't listen to my body, I go down for months. Drives me up the wall.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Piurivar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Catherine_MT Catherine_MT is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,266
Thanks: 10,678
Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,491 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
I wish this were true of the Goodwill stores in my area but, unfortunately, it is not.

All three stores were bought out by new owners about three years ago and they changed everything, starting with FIRING every single one of the old and disabled people who used to work there. You could tell those people were glad to have those jobs and did their best to help.

The new people they brought in are just the usual, normal types of sales people who work in stores--not very old, not disabled, and as soon as they find a better job, they move on. Every time I go there, which is a lot less than formerly, I see new people working there.

They also tripled all the prices which makes it less affordable for those who really need their merchandise.

I suppose the different owners of the Goodwill stores have the options of running their stores the way they want--as they should. I have no problem with free enterprise, but around here, it's just a for-profit business riding on the coat tails of their former charitable reputation. The real bargains and real charity are a couple of other thrift stores that are associated with churches.

BTW, I was once in Goodwill when they were reorganizing and removing tons of stuff, mostly clothing. I asked what they were doing with all that stuff and I was told that they send it to Indonesia. Well, I know the Indonesians need stuff too, but that's just downright irrational. Firstly, there's a lot of need locally which is not being met and secondly, it must cost a fortune to send all that stuff halfway around the world. That's money that could be spent in a MUCH better way, imo.

^^^

I have seen this happen in my former state, 15 to 20 years ago, and even more OUT here in this college town in Western Montana within the last 10 years. My MT born and raised husband told me about this and tons more about this local Goodwill store.

That is why I have only given to them about 5 times in my life. Back when, they were really doing something that I thought was worthwhile. I still gave to Sallie and other small shelters the MOST.

I gave to Goodwill one time out here because the SA was closed. A friend picked up some lamps from my former home because I was getting ready to move into this newly built house. His home/business was close to the Goodwill store and he did us a favor since he was at our home anyway.

I give to charities (Goods and FOOD.) that I know about up close and personal OR directly to the person or family in NEED.

Catherine
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catherine_MT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 AM
BadgeBunny BadgeBunny is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Oklahoma
Posts: 4,226
Thanks: 6,885
Thanked 6,990 Times in 2,814 Posts
Default

OK ... It's been a while since I posted here. I was kinda hap-hazardly going about trying to clean because I really didn't feel so hot back then. Now ... a couple of surgeries and some physical therapy behind me I feel pretty good and O.M.G.

My house is a M.E.S.S. Apparently my husband is NO kinda housekeeper. I have spent the last couple of weeks deep cleaning everything and putting stuff back where it belongs (as opposed to where it "is"). There have been a couple of huge fights ... I cleaned out a closet ... Who knew moving a bunch of surplus military gear (that I didn't even know we had ... hmmmmm ... just kinda showed up while I was under the weather, did it?? ) out of a closet that regular clothes belong in into a rubbermaid tub in the garage, where things we will most likely NEVER use belong would cause such a ruckus! LOL

Now that everything is back where it belongs -- shooo -- this next week I can start sorting through stuff and getting rid of things we don't need anymore. Pray for me ... apparently my husband has hoarder tendencies ... who knew??!??!?! LOL (Well, at least when it comes to military surplus stuff )
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 04:46 AM
Catherine_MT Catherine_MT is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,266
Thanks: 10,678
Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,491 Posts
Smile

^^^

BB,

I am glad that you are feeling better!

Have fun - go get 'em girl!



Catherine
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catherine_MT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Kay's Avatar
Kay Kay is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N.E. Texas
Posts: 1,007
Thanks: 2,237
Thanked 1,143 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgeBunny View Post
OK ... It's been a while since I posted here. I was kinda hap-hazardly going about trying to clean because I really didn't feel so hot back then. Now ... a couple of surgeries and some physical therapy behind me I feel pretty good and O.M.G.

My house is a M.E.S.S. Apparently my husband is NO kinda housekeeper. I have spent the last couple of weeks deep cleaning everything and putting stuff back where it belongs (as opposed to where it "is"). There have been a couple of huge fights ... I cleaned out a closet ... Who knew moving a bunch of surplus military gear (that I didn't even know we had ... hmmmmm ... just kinda showed up while I was under the weather, did it?? ) out of a closet that regular clothes belong in into a rubbermaid tub in the garage, where things we will most likely NEVER use belong would cause such a ruckus! LOL

Now that everything is back where it belongs -- shooo -- this next week I can start sorting through stuff and getting rid of things we don't need anymore. Pray for me ... apparently my husband has hoarder tendencies ... who knew??!??!?! LOL (Well, at least when it comes to military surplus stuff )
I'm glad your feeling better, BB. Never, ever mess with somebody else's stuff without their knowledge and permission. I came close to never being here again because I almost murdered my sil for doing that. I wanted to kill her so badly that I actually had nightmares about ripping her apart with my bare hands. Needless to say, there was verbal blood spilled and she rarely comes here (thank the Lord) anymore and wouldn't touch anything I own now, even if her life depended on it--which it does--lol. But I know it must have been difficult to deal with military stuff in your closet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Kay's Avatar
Kay Kay is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: N.E. Texas
Posts: 1,007
Thanks: 2,237
Thanked 1,143 Times in 525 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piurivar View Post
Actually, I think about doing that for people. I find it fun. I wish I could find someone who wants to run a business who would do all the advertising, paperwork, etc, and just let me do the work. I've owned businesses and I HATE that part. Hire me an assistant or two, and let me do my thing, I think there's money in it...
But it gets back to my health, I can't do anything consistently. I'm still working on endurance. If just sheer desire to do things was all it took, I'd have all kinds of neat stuff going on. My health is my choke point, if I don't listen to my body, I go down for months. Drives me up the wall.
This sounds like the perfect business for you. I hope your health permits you to go for it. There's a lot of people out there who will pay you--and NOT kill you--for messin with their stuff--lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM
BadgeBunny BadgeBunny is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Oklahoma
Posts: 4,226
Thanks: 6,885
Thanked 6,990 Times in 2,814 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay View Post
I'm glad your feeling better, BB. Never, ever mess with somebody else's stuff without their knowledge and permission. I came close to never being here again because I almost murdered my sil for doing that. I wanted to kill her so badly that I actually had nightmares about ripping her apart with my bare hands. Needless to say, there was verbal blood spilled and she rarely comes here (thank the Lord) anymore and wouldn't touch anything I own now, even if her life depended on it--which it does--lol. But I know it must have been difficult to deal with military stuff in your closet.
ROFLMAO!! Whose stuff do you think he messed with in order to have that closet empty enough to fill UP with military surplus?!?!?!

Besides ... I didn't throw any of it out! I just moved it ... But I do see your point -- If I didn't live here I would NEVER have touched his stuff. But ... since I do live here ... and because he's always wanting me to touch some of his stuff, I mistakenly believed it was okay to touch all of his stuff ...

We got it all worked out ... I have my closet back and he has his military surplus stuff in a nice, big rubbermaid tub in the garage ... All is right with the world again ...

Just wait until next week when I throw out all those old t-shirts he doesn't wear anymore ...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Prudence Prudence is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 295
Thanks: 3,779
Thanked 386 Times in 189 Posts
Smile Evviva la Flylady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinera76 View Post
This post is an inspiration! I'm a big fan of FlyLady and decluttering (bless others with the things you don't need anymore). I took it as far as giving away my wedding dress: I won't need it again and some bride will be really happy with it (I hope). Now I have more space in my room for the real clothes I'm actually using.
Greetings to all from Italy!
Buon giorno, signora! I agree with you about the fabulous FlyLady. Before I found her Website, I had no routines at all and was living in complete chaos. Now it's only partial chaos.

For everyone who has not met FlyLady yet and needs help getting organized, check her out at www.flylady.net. The site is completely free, and reading FlyLady's articles and lists will make you feel that you have a warm, bubbly, sympathetic best friend you haven't met yet, someone who will give you the tools and the loving encouragement to help you organize your life. FlyLady's stories about herself will make you laugh! Some of the testimonials on the site will make you cry happy tears (FlyLady calls that "purple puddles").

FlyLady's site fits in very well with prepping. I recommend it highly!
The Following User Says Thank You to Prudence For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 PM
BrandyCLS BrandyCLS is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 28
Thanks: 84
Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Default

This last weekend I went through a TON of stuff. I just moved, so I needed to downsize anyway! I got rid of 6 trashbags FULL of clothes to donate and 9 boxes of "stuff" to take to my grandparents house for their yearly garage sale....I'm worn out and could probably still find stuff to get rid of if I looked.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandyCLS For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Autumn-Raine's Avatar
Autumn-Raine Autumn-Raine is offline
Up to No Good
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Missouri
Age: 29
Posts: 387
Thanks: 1,721
Thanked 1,105 Times in 309 Posts
Default

Hubby and I spent the weekend organizing a bunch of the stuff we brought out of my friend's house. Got rid of a good amount of trash and got it to where things are a little more accessible and easier to get listed for sale. I'm trying to make as much extra money as possible to get my kids their Christmas presents...

I tell ya what, ladies, I'll be glad when Christmas is over this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Autumn-Raine For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too Funny Russia Today Report Today of NATO Defeat KaBar67 General Discussion 7 08-23-2011 09:43 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net