Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM

Advertise Here

24" crowbar sitting behind my seat on the bus. Thank you "mandatory safety equipment." I also carry a 500lumen flashlight with optional strobe for "safety inspections" in the wee hours of the morning and a spring-assist pocket knife. Along with the 28,600+ lbs. I am sitting on top of, I figure am pretty well prepared at work.
The Following User Says Thank You to abenatuesda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 PM

Being well trained in "street fighting" instead of some kata-type martial arts false security.
You're best weapon is you. You can do just as much damage as any knife/gun/stick or otherwise if properly trained... and the best part.. its always "concealed".

Now if you've busted up your body, please refer to ALL the other posts!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,398 Posts

If your not good enough without it, you will never be good enough with it.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM

This is one I have in my truck, I have a older full size floor jack. The handle for it is out and easy to get to. but never been asked about it. been pulled over many times.59 in a 55, not wearing my seat belt. They have never said a word about the jack or the 3ft handle.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 PM

I'm a photographer, and sometimes I get the urge to do urban photography. I've run into a few dicey situations before while doing this, and what I've done ever since is make sure I'm carrying a monopod with me when I'm on foot with my thousands of dollars worth of camera gear. I especially like a compact Gitzo monopod, which sort of resembles one of those whackers that some LEOs carry -- you know, its got a handle with a telescoping rod and a hard little knob at the end? Heh, well, my Gitzo monopod is a whole lot like that. It's made from aluminum and carbon fiber. The rubber pistol grip is positioned just right where it can be easily wielded as a club. The tip of the monopod is a hard ball that will hurt if struck in the knee or ankle -- or temple -- with it. Gitzo monopods are available in different sizes. Mine is a small one, collapsible to about 18" and extends out to over 5 feet. But for maximum strength and usefulness, it's best to use it fully, or almost fully collapsed.

This Gitzo is small, light, and very sturdy. Expensive, though. Look around for used ones; deals can be had. Far as that goes, there are other manufacturers of good monopods that will likely perform just as well, and which might not be as expensive. Manfrotto (aka Bogen) comes to mind. In fact, I have an older Bogen monopod that is very sturdy. Tubular aluminum, and quite a bit bigger than the Gitzo, it still makes for a nasty club. Slik, Cullman, and no-doubt others also make monopods.
The Following User Says Thank You to cooltouch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 PM
You never let me down...

Thanked 6,963 Times in 1,868 Posts

A common tool box. Law enforcement might ask to see its contents - so let them.

However, melee weapons should be a last resort. If I can make the problem go away with $10.00, I will. Because if I start pounding with a 15/16" wrench or hammer, I will probably be facing a trial for serious injury or murder 2. I don't want my future to be in the hands of an attorney!

I'd be inclined to use the sprays many have suggested. If that doesn't work (for what ever reason) I nice blow to the sternum with a hammer promptly ends the immediate threat and I drive away. Caution: a head shot with a decent sized hammer can be lethal. Don't put your future in the hands of attorneys and the "legal system" unless it is truly a life or death matter.

4 cents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Catapult For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,200 Times in 553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
I'm a photographer, and sometimes I get the urge to do urban photography. I've run into a few dicey situations before while doing this, and what I've done ever since is make sure I'm carrying a monopod with me when I'm on foot with my thousands of dollars worth of camera gear. I especially like a compact Gitzo monopod, which sort of resembles one of those whackers that some LEOs carry -- you know, its got a handle with a telescoping rod and a hard little knob at the end? Heh, well, my Gitzo monopod is a whole lot like that. It's made from aluminum and carbon fiber. The rubber pistol grip is positioned just right where it can be easily wielded as a club. The tip of the monopod is a hard ball that will hurt if struck in the knee or ankle -- or temple -- with it. Gitzo monopods are available in different sizes. Mine is a small one, collapsible to about 18" and extends out to over 5 feet. But for maximum strength and usefulness, it's best to use it fully, or almost fully collapsed.

This Gitzo is small, light, and very sturdy. Expensive, though. Look around for used ones; deals can be had. Far as that goes, there are other manufacturers of good monopods that will likely perform just as well, and which might not be as expensive. Manfrotto (aka Bogen) comes to mind. In fact, I have an older Bogen monopod that is very sturdy. Tubular aluminum, and quite a bit bigger than the Gitzo, it still makes for a nasty club. Slik, Cullman, and no-doubt others also make monopods.
Is this the gadget that JLo used to defend herself in a movie where she played a cop? It could have been "Out of Sight" with George Clooney but I'm not sure. It looked extremely effective but it was, after all, just a movie. If it's that good, I gotta have one.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 PM

I agree with the martial artists on here. All but one of the fights I've ever gotten in I won with a combination of H2H know-how and basic knowledge of human anatomy. I'm a skinny white guy and I've dropped a couple people who were taller and jacked just by knowing where to strike and how to strike it. Wait for that knife strike to come in then bring the backside of your wrist up into their tricep, follow through with 3 fingers stiff into their neck and its over. That was the only fight I've ever had a knife pulled on me though so it may have just been luck.

As for my 'not-so-concealed' weapon of choice that I will never get a question about other than 'whats that from.' A 3" fossilized Megalodon tooth in a wire harness attached to a 2' linked, stainless steel chain that is about 1/4" diameter. It is a necklace my wife bought me because I practically worship sharks. Of course I would need to undo it first and I would prefer not to damage it, holding the tooth and swinging the chain across someones face would be a not-so-pleasant b****slap. Or just holding the main part of the tooth and jamming the point into a soft area.

Either way I prefer to let training and instinct take over, they can't confiscate my body.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trinicide For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Curmudgeon/Raconteur

Thanked 3,871 Times in 1,741 Posts

The New Tech Style Hiking Sticks are a bit like the Monopod above, with the exception that they commonly have a Carbide Spike Tip. I have a sort of Sheep's Foot Cover for the Carbide spike. The Aluminum Alloy Stick extends to over Six Feet. Fully Collapsed, it is around Two and a Half Feet. In walking mode for me, it is around 155 CM. It has a Great Rubber Grip on the "Top End" with a Retaining/Wrist Strap. I can sworp it around, and stab quite easily - only the work of a couple seconds to take off the Sheeps Foot..
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM

tactical pen. Pretty expensive though
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 AM

Good idea on the monopod. Even better with a small ball head on the end to turn it into an improvised mace.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:04 AM

ATV/tubeless tire repair tools. One of them is to clean out the nail hole via knurling around the shaft. It's pointed so it can enter the nail hole.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM

A sock with D cell batteries. They pack a punch
Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 PM

I had a RCMP officer try to confiscate my pocket knife. Not legally, I was stopped for an illegal helmet and while questioning me he asked if I had any weapons? I replied no he then asked if I had anything in my pockets? "yes a pocket knife" (CRKT Crawford kasper) I slowly handed it to him while both he and his partner had their hands on their sidearms. After I was ticketed for the helmet (a BS law IMHO) he was about to leave when I asked for my "pocketknife" back. He reluctantly handed it back once again with his hand on the pistol. I understand his precaution but to attempt to confiscate without a legitamite reason really peeved me. Mind you the $275 ticket was more upsetting
Old 02-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,382 Times in 621 Posts

Just thinking -
How about a can of spray paint?
Probably stupid and would really P somebody off...
But then there's oven cleaner or degreaser or carb cleaner.
I use carb cleaner on wasps and it'll knock them out of the air, and they do say not to get it in your eyes - I know - it burnses us!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:02 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji553r View Post
tactical pen. Pretty expensive though
carried one daily when i worked in the prison. Very nice weapon.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,047 Times in 814 Posts

3mm galvanized fencing wire.

A wire whip can be made with just over a meter of wire.

You could add a lead fishing sinker the end as well.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 AM
Optimism is Cowardice

Thanked 11,585 Times in 3,847 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadenz View Post
I would hold it in the middle, swinging downward as I would throw a hammer fist.

I've been is some stupid and violent situations, and I'd have to say I can't find using a cog as a viable weapon.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglecrawler View Post
I've been is some stupid and violent situations, and I'd have to say I can't find using a cog as a viable weapon.
I agree.

However, certain modifications can be done to, say, attach the cog to a rope. Ill let everyones imagination wander. Now if you had a rope that could be quickly attached to a cog in a useful way.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Totally off grid

Thanked 4,960 Times in 1,457 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

As i said in another post, a good set of fencing pliers can get you thru barbwire and it also makes a great weapon. I keep a pair in my truck at all times.
Attached Thumbnails
150254_lg.jpg