Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Survivalist + Prepper.

Advertise Here

Having many friends that have to use this on a daily basis as well as myself previously. Krav Maga aslongside a strong BJJ is very worthwhile. Alot of people trash Krav because its mainstream-ish but the simple fact is its used in some of the most heavily assaulted areas in the world, and with good reason, other things like Sambo and such will help but BJJ will help you alot as well.

Krav + BJJ (Brazilion Jiu Jitsu) will save your life.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Adventurer

Thanked 9,922 Times in 1,551 Posts

Ya gotta watch the 16 and upward teens.

A 16 old girl gave me the worst injury I ever got on the job, bit a chunk out of my right thigh.
Underestimated her, see.

When I was doing prison work I did a couple of tracking/recovery/transport jobs...two of the re-captured felons were a 16 year old girl and an 18 year old boy...both of them were murderers.
You can be damn sure we had them handcuffed and sat in the rear of the transport van, with my partner watching them like a hawk from up front.

Another transport was a seemingly innocent affair. Steve was taking a 15 year old kid to a court appearance in a sedan. Kid was only charged with some minor offences. he was in the back of the car, not cuffed. Steve was driving down the motorway at a 100 klicks...kid leaned over, wrapped his arm around Steve's neck and tried strangling him.
A wonder Steve got the car stopped without crashing.

Like I said, ya gotta watch the teens...they have no sense of consequence of action. They do things in the now, giving no thought for what might happen afterwards.
(Which is why so many young drivers are so dangerous.)

You don't need to spend months/years learning a martial art to do recovery and prisoner transport...I was one of the few guards at the prison that did kickboxing, a number of the guys lifted weights..and to be honest if you're dealing with teens...just being much stronger will often suffice.

If you're working for a company you should be able to request they send their staff on a couple of weekend training seminars specifically aimed at correctional/police type hold and come-along techniques. You can mention...no training...work related injury...lack of duty of care...lawyer...insurance money...they'll get the idea.

If you're working for the government...they should have already provided some sort of course.

I'd carry handcuffs if I were you...one day you might need them, if only to stop a kid hurting himself.

Cheers: Jaq
Old 12-12-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm friendly, maybe

Thanked 10,379 Times in 4,562 Posts

My ex would use something on me he called the oriental nerve teqnique. I dont know if that was the name for it or not but he could use his pointy finger on me and I would be imobilised for several moments and could be in pain for several days with no visible signs of bruising.
I have a group for those of us who like to prospect or mine for gold. Whether it be the person who just prospects with a pan, uses a metal detector or the person who has a giant trommel. Everyone's Welcome!
www.survivalistboards.com/group.php?groupid=370
Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Winter is coming.

Thanked 3,655 Times in 1,593 Posts

I've done some traditional jujitsu and am learning BJJ at the moment. It seems to me if going to the ground is a safe option (ie you have a lot of back up and are in a closed environment like a prison) then BJJ would be good. You could take them down and control them while a partner cuffs or assists. In the street where you dont want to roll around on the bitumen or get off your feet then traditional jujitsu maybe better.

In all honesty the people i know who do this sort of work regularily just use a couple of moves they know that work. They dont require a whole arsenul to get the job done.
The Following User Says Thank You to PapaWhiskyBravo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
Like some have said, a good, traditional Japanese JuJitsu, (hard to find) lots of small circle/joint locks, and/or Judo...
I would also recommend judo, took for a year from an ex cop and learned a lot.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaWhiskyBravo View Post
In all honesty the people i know who do this sort of work regularily just use a couple of moves they know that work. They dont require a whole arsenul to get the job done.
That's exactly right.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by London View Post
Aikido is a joke and a cult masking itself as a martial art. It MIGHT be useful if every attacker in this world stood completely still and didn't resist when you put your hands on them.
I disagree.

Akido done at the level of most part time practioners of average atheletic ability may well be next to useless. Akido done by an expert with natural atheletic ability can be lethal.

In the end, an atheletically gifted expert can make any martial arts system extremely effective. The key is what works best for the average person. In my opinion, nothing delivers more bang for the buck faster for the average person than boxing (but as a former recreational boxer, I am biased)
Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Survivalist + Prepper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
I disagree.

Akido done at the level of most part time practioners of average atheletic ability may well be next to useless. Akido done by an expert with natural atheletic ability can be lethal.

In the end, an atheletically gifted expert can make any martial arts system extremely effective. The key is what works best for the average person. In my opinion, nothing delivers more bang for the buck faster for the average person than boxing (but as a former recreational boxer, I am biased)
You speak truth about Akido, but.. Anyone with Athetic ability can be deadly in any martial art, the point of this I think is what is the most effective.

I mean, you have someone like Bruce Lee, or any gifted fighter learn Tae Kwon Do (Take your Dough) They can still be deadly, the fact of the matter is, whats going to close that gap between skill vs ability?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srixun View Post
the fact of the matter is, whats going to close that gap between skill vs ability?
In my opinion, western systems are most effective and can narrow, but not eliminate that gap.

Many Eastern systems had a Buddhist religous aspect and assumed that the student would practice for years in a dedicated training environment for both the martial art and the religion. As a result, their techniques are hard to master. Western systems are KISS centered and assumed that the techniques were being taught to the average part time soldier or conscript etc. in a far shorter period of time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 PM

if your just trying to control them without hurting them i would say BJJ and wresteling. learing judo would help too in that it will help your balance and technique, but if you try to use judo throws on somone on concrete or asphault somone is going to get hurt
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

It doesn't matter which one(s)

Martial arts: If you practice 2-4 hrs a day 6 days a week then you will not need any weapon inside of a 10' perimeter. If you do this you'll think you can succeed after one year (green belt) but wait until after 3 years before you test it real world (senior brown belt).
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Adventurer

I could not envision spending 4 hours a day, six days a week, practicing a martial art.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 PM

I recommend the ancient art of TASER.